Wing mounting help???

CDiesel

Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions for mounting the 05 factory wing on a laser lite (LT Sport) tonneau cover? Thanks alot:rock: :rock: :rock:

I don't think there are instructions from Lazerlite.
I know for a fact there aren't any from Dodge. :)

I mounted mine where the radius of the corners on the Lazerlite cover match (exactly) the radius of the corners on the wing.

You can use a piece of cardboard as a template for the mounting holes.

I used cardboard as well and made a template. You will also need to cut/grind down some notches on the tail to make it perfectly flat. In addition you are going to also need some longer bolts which can be picked up at any auto parts store. After you cut out the template (I used the cardboard it was shipped in) pop some holes in the cardboard using the bolts to mark were you need to drill the holes on the cover (leave the bolts on as you make the holes to make sure the template doesn't move). Place the template on the cover and mark your holes with a felt tip marker then very carefully drill your holes. Make sure you place something between the bedrail and the cover when drilling cause if you don't you drill through the bedrail (I used a piece of 2x4). If you lined everything up right the tail should bolt right up. Took me about 2 hrs including making 2 trips to the auto parts store.

Last edited:
Good call, LiteEmUp.
You should also put some masking tape on the surface of the Lazerlite.
1. Let's you mark on it (tough to do on black covers...heh heh)
2. Prevents chip-out of the paint when drilling.
3. Prevents drill bits from walking.

For my rear bolts, I went to the dealership and picked up an extra set. Once the holes were drilled and the wing properly mounted, I used the Dremel and cut off the excess bolt threads. They are now flush with the bottom of the nut.
This lets the tonneau sit flat, and I didn't have to worry about the bolt lining up with the old hole in the bed rail.

I just took mine to a body shop and paid them 50 bucks to mount mine.:)

I also had them do it a little forward so that the keyhole matched up with the indentation on the bottom of the wing.(Makes it easier to lock/unlock the cover.):D

WOLFRAM said:
:needpics:

Could we see some close-ups of them both, Please?
I'll have to look around for pics.

belgiumbarry said:
i had to cut out a piece in the middle of the wing to suit my cover.... so now the widths match...
Your cover isn't Lazerlite then.
The Gen1 wing (no center support) fits the Lazerlite covers perfectly, width-wise.

KRAZYSRT10 said:
I also had them do it a little forward so that the keyhole matched up with the indentation on the bottom of the wing.(Makes it easier to lock/unlock the cover.):D
I don't follow you on this. What indentation?

Kevan said:
I'll have to look around for pics.

The Gen1 wing (no center support) fits the Lazerlite covers perfectly, width-wise.

I don't follow you on this. What indentation?

Run your hand underneath your wing, you will feel a couple ridges that run length wise. I positioned my wing so that the clearance was higher for a key by putting one ridge forward of the keyhole and one ridge aft of the keyhole.

I gotcha. You're talking about the profile shape.
I thought you had some kinda notch in the center of yours. :)

The keyhole is difficult to get to with the wing on.
My key is actually re-shaped to fit under the wing.
It takes a bit of practice, but it's not too bad.
A remote would be nice. :D

Kevan said:

don't know what brand my cover is.. will check it ... i know it's fiberglass and heavy ! :eek:

belgiumbarry said:
i had to cut out a piece in the middle of the wing to suit my cover.... so now the widths match...

Do you mean that you cut a section out of the middle of the wing to narrow it?

Thus, making the outside edge of the wing line up with the edge of the tonneau cover.

This is what I want to do, if I can ever get my hands on a stock tonneau (to make a mold of).

Thanks to all who chimed it...pics would be helpful...Scott from Laser Lite said there was a step by step posted somewhere...

WARNING!!!

Before you go cutting the wings in the middle!!!:thumpdown: I didn't have much luck with my stock wing cut down to fit the A.R.E. top.
The span will take some stress but if you open and close it alot etc. it may be a problem for you in the future.
Mine began to crack at the seam... I ended up replacing it.:dontknow:
Here is the thread with pics.
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15644

WOLFRAM said:
Do you mean that you cut a section out of the middle of the wing to narrow it?

Thus, making the outside edge of the wing line up with the edge of the tonneau cover.

This is what I want to do, if I can ever get my hands on a stock tonneau (to make a mold of).

exactly what i did :rock: and it keeps good , made a inner epoxy mold with extension tubes to be pushed and epoxy'd each side in of the 2 halfs... finished seam with thin stripe of rubber as used on boat decks :rock: :rock: ......

only now to measure the stock wing doesn't do a shit in creating downforce :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

how many bolts did you use on each side to re-attach the wing? it looks like there is only one hole on each side...is that enough???

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back