Wing removal

05Silver10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to remove my wing this weekend in order to move a few things but I can't get it to come off. The forward bolts are rusted and I can only get about 3 turns before the quit turning. How delicate is it as I am concerned about breaking something on the wing attach point. I sprayed some penetrating oil on them so we will see how it goes this afternoon.

I've had a few that were pretty rusty and they came out fairly easy after getting past the first resistance. Let the penetrating oil soak for a bit and then give them another try, be persuasive without being abusive. :D

Like the man says penetrating oil and work them back and forth until they lub up. They are skinny , they will twistoff easy! If they break just drill them out and retap. once the front bolts are off , slide wing to the back to remove it. there is a slotted bolt that it slides on. :D

Like the man says penetrating oil and work them back and forth until they lub up. They are skinny , they will twistoff easy! If they break just drill them out and retap. once the front bolts are off , slide wing to the back to remove it. there is a slotted bolt that it slides on. :D

I am hijacking this thread!! What is that hanging off the side of your engine in your avatar????

careful redrill and tap. even if you go a size or 2 bigger. :)

No luck. I was able to get them a little looser where I could spray the bolt between the top of the bed and the wing and them ran them back in tight and loosened a couple times. I am letting them sit a little longer. I would hate to have to drill and re tap.

Have you tried Kroil Penetrating Oil?

You are correct about Aerokroil. Unfortunately I do not have any but I am using PB Blaster. I have used kroil a lot in the aviation business and I have never had a fastener I could not get out when using it.

These bolts are the worst on the entire truck honestly. Being they're mounted upside down and get subjected to rain, car washes, salts, and they're cheap bolts they often corrode and weld themselves to the nut plate. I can't tell you how many I've seen broken off or worse the nut plate on wing breaks loose :(
Like said by other, thread it back and forth a few times with whatever oil you're using and maybe even hear the bolt with a propane torch or something if all else fails. Don't break it!

I got it off. I really took some doing but I won. After I got the wing off I ran a tap into the holes to clean them out and ran the bolts thru a die. Everything is cleaned up and they go in and out easily. I plan to coat the bolts with anti seize before I re install the wing. BTW I hate the look without the wing. It makes me look like a poser with a regular Ram.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back