With Thanksgiving so close "The Turkey cooking Thread"

Silverback said:
To me a tenderloin is ruined if you spice it up. All I do is after I pull it out of the oven to rest, I put some steak butter on it. That's it for me.

That reminds me, I need to whip up some steak butter.

I should mention that steak butter also makes some great scrambled eggs.:)

What's steak butter??? :eek:

Manic said:
What's steak butter??? :eek:

I was waiting for that question.:D

So, here you go.

2 tablespoons minced garlic (About 6 large cloves)
2 tablespoons plus 1 pound unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 lemon, juiced

In a small skillet or pan, toast minced garlic in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until just turning brown, do not burn. Add toasted garlic, chopped herbs, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to the pound of softened butter. Mix well. Divide seasoned butter in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap. Twist and tie each end of the plastic wrap to form two logs. Refrigerate until needed

Butter logs can be kept in freezer for up to 1 month.

After grilling your favorite steak, place 1 or 2 quarter inch thick slices of the steak butter on top of each steak.

I also add this to scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, chicken, etc.

Silverback said:
I was waiting for that question.:D

So, here you go.

2 tablespoons minced garlic (About 6 large cloves)
2 tablespoons plus 1 pound unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 lemon, juiced

In a small skillet or pan, toast minced garlic in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat until just turning brown, do not burn. Add toasted garlic, chopped herbs, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to the pound of softened butter. Mix well. Divide seasoned butter in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap. Twist and tie each end of the plastic wrap to form two logs. Refrigerate until needed

Butter logs can be kept in freezer for up to 1 month.

After grilling your favorite steak, place 1 or 2 quarter inch thick slices of the steak butter on top of each steak.

I also add this to scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, chicken, etc.

Thank you Sir! :rock:

I am going to try something new this year.

I am going to inject the turkey with the butter/creole seasonings, then smoke it for about 1 to 1.5 hrs on the smoker then finish it in the peanut oil fryer.

I think it will get the good smoke flavor plus have the tender juicyness of a fried turkey! Best of both worlds!

We'll be doing a couple of them this year over at Mom's. One cooked in the oven so we can get some gravy, one in the fryer, and I'll be smoking one here and taking it over. Gonna do a big ham too.

Got my Bros-in-law coming up (one Navy, one Marine) along with their OL's and some of their friends that have nowhere to go. Also got one of my Coonass friend's kid coming up. He's at Pendleton now for training. Should be some interesting times once all the Jarheads and Squids get to drinking together LOL.

OCBob said:
We'll be doing a couple of them this year over at Mom's. One cooked in the oven so we can get some gravy, one in the fryer, and I'll be smoking one here and taking it over. Gonna do a big ham too.

Got my Bros-in-law coming up (one Navy, one Marine) along with their OL's and some of their friends that have nowhere to go. Also got one of my Coonass friend's kid coming up. He's at Pendleton now for training. Should be some interesting times once all the Jarheads and Squids get to drinking together LOL.

Sounds like it's a story line for a future segment of COPS.;) :D

Welp... We decided to go with a bone-in pork loin. :) I made a mustard marinade (Dijon and stone ground mustard, soy sauce, garlic (10 cloves :p ), salt, pepper, and a little fresh thyme). I coated it with that last night.... this afternoon, I crusted the loin in Panko bread crumbs, and put it on a bed of carrots, onions, and fennel. She's almost done now (about 2 hours cook time). :) I'll add some chicken stock and a little sweet vermouth to the drippings and reduce that down on the stove while the roast is "resting". That should make a nice au jus. Sarah made some cajun andouille/cornbread stuffing, and some nice asparagus sauteed in bacon. :rock:

..... How did everyone else's dinner go? :)

I'm frying a turkey, cooking a turkey in the oven and a ham....it's gonna be GRRRRREAT!:D

Now if I could just shake this hangover....:)

I'm so stuffed, I'm miserable to myself as well as others.:eek:

We ended up with the beef tenderloin, lobster, beer rice (my favorite) and whole wheat rolls. Then some cheese cake for dessert.

I've tried every way under the sun and I alternate methods each year. This year I rubbed the turkey down with olive oil and seasonings then smoked it with pecan wood. Afterwards it went in the oven on a rack on its breast slightly above pan water and beer for moisture on reeeeal low heat; about 190° for 2 hours with a cage of sausage and cornbread stuffing stuck up in it's holiest of holys. The ham was also smoked then glazed with cranberry and pinapple before adding the cherries and sliced pineapple. It was then baked slow at 225° for 1.5 hours.

IMG00404-20091126-1305.jpg

IMG00403-20091126-1305.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back