Wood working question

sirhc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently refinished my exterior front door. The previous finish was peeling and in bad shape and had been on for at least 6 years. I stripped and re stained with an exterior stain and started to add a final finish. From reading a few woodworking forums the general consensus was that there is not finish which will stand up to the weather for a long time. It seemed that a Tung oil finish with yearly wipe downs was the way to go. I have thrown on my first coat and now an thinking I should of went with spar urethane. Does anyone have any experience with this and was the tung oil a bad move. I doubt I can lay urethane over the Tung oil without stripping it first?

Thanks again,

Chris

008.jpg

sirhc76 said:
I recently refinished my exterior front door. The previous finish was peeling and in bad shape and had been on for at least 6 years. I stripped and re stained with an exterior stain and started to add a final finish. From reading a few woodworking forums the general consensus was that there is not finish which will stand up to the weather for a long time. It seemed that a Tung oil finish with yearly wipe downs was the way to go. I have thrown on my first coat and now an thinking I should of went with spar urethane. Does anyone have any experience with this and was the tung oil a bad move. I doubt I can lay urethane over the Tung oil without stripping it first?

Thanks again,

Chris

008.jpg

Tung is more used on furniture. Door looks great. Just put a full lenght glass storm door in front!!

I made a set of wood carrige style garage doors for a customer and had the builder stain and cover them with a marine grade varnish. I think the marine grade products are made to last longer in harsher environments. Been a couple years and they still look good.

If your door gets alot of sun the best finish to stand up to it is an outdoor varnish that's designed for outdoor patio furniture (with UV blocker). I have the same issue and have tried all different kinds.

Whatever you do, DO NOT put a glass door in front of it (if you're getting alor of sun). The glass will magnify the heat and it will ROAST the finish off the door.;)

It gets a decent amount of sun and plenty of water when it rains. I was looking into Sikkens and a few auto finishes which seem to last the longest. I went with the oil option so that I could just wipe it on as needed without removing the door. I will top it off with a coat of wax and see if I can just maintain the wax. I will actually be able to use my Porter Cable for what its intended use. Going to buy some new hardware, I was looking into a keyless type deadbolt and found this,

http://www.kwikset.com/smartscan/default.html

Thanks all,

Chris

sirhc76 said:
It gets a decent amount of sun and plenty of water when it rains. I was looking into Sikkens and a few auto finishes which seem to last the longest. I went with the oil option so that I could just wipe it on as needed without removing the door. I will top it off with a coat of wax and see if I can just maintain the wax. I will actually be able to use my Porter Cable for what its intended use. Going to buy some new hardware, I was looking into a keyless type deadbolt and found this,

http://www.kwikset.com/smartscan/default.html

Thanks all,

Chris

You can always put a coat of shellac down as an intermedaite layer between oil and anything else.

Current storm doors have UV blocking technology and are not hermetically sealed as some might think. They provide plenty of ventilation so there is no chance of any finishes being roasted off! :)
The main enemy of wood is water. If the wood is kept dry it will last a very very VERY long time. Look at all the major structures in Greece( Parthenon..etc). They are all standing after thousands of years but the roofs which were made of wood are gone!
Tung oil is a very good Interior finish which promotes breathabilty.
Other things to caonsider are what youir door is made of? Is it a composite door with veneer commonly found at local supply houses or it is it an expensuve Solid wood door?. If you want it to last keep it dry and covered.
I believe the only coating which will adhere to an oily substance such as Tung
is an epoxy based coating of which there aren't many transparent ones!
Steve

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back