x-metal and air bags

katfab

Reaction score
So I have had the truck for two months, put on B&B exhaust, tires and wheels, and finally got around to the lowering kit(x-metal). I like it alot. My only issue is when pulling my car to the track I am feeling something bouncing in the rearend of the truck. It is happening at acceleration from a dead stop only. Will air bags help this and/or eliminate this? If so any recommendations on brand or style would be great.

Attachments

• Picture5-6-07 001.jpg
    Picture5-6-07 001.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Picture5-6-07 004.jpg
    Picture5-6-07 004.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 858
Is it more like a vibration? Since its from a dead stop when accelerating it sounds like spring wrap. The front of the springs will bend some when leaving the line, changing the pinion angle and cause driveline vibration. Even my dually does it when towing heavy. If thats the case CalTracs would be the cure.

Airbags help with it bottoming out on the bumpstops on every bump from the weight. Boomer sells some, but this doesn't sound like your problem. It wouldn't bottom out from a dead stop, only at speed.

Joe

It is definately a vibration of some sort. It lasts for about three seconds. It feels like something may be rubbing or rattling on the bottom of the truck bed. What are CalTraks?

CalTracs will help keep the axle from rotating, like traction bars that people use on lifted trucks to keep the axle wrap under control. Just these aren't so visible and ugly. They will also give you better traction when not towing.

Joe

Scrambler1 said:
Is it more like a vibration? Since its from a dead stop when accelerating it sounds like spring wrap. The front of the springs will bend some when leaving the line, changing the pinion angle and cause driveline vibration. Even my dually does it when towing heavy. If thats the case CalTracs would be the cure.

Airbags help with it bottoming out on the bumpstops on every bump from the weight. Boomer sells some, but this doesn't sound like your problem. It wouldn't bottom out from a dead stop, only at speed.

Joe

I would agree with this diagnosis... spring wrap up feels like the truck is "bucking"...

check inside of vender wells up top my tires scrubbed when i towed my boat, air bags solved the problem.

Yup, sounds like axle wrap, mine does it occasionally at stock height. Lowering blocks magnify the torque on the springs causing an increased occurance of wrap. I recently put on JMB Justins Stage 1 traction kit and have not had any wrap since. The kit clamps the front of the rear leaf springs and puts some tension on the slapper bar snubber. I dont have but a few miles on the kit so far but as for now everything seems good!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back