X-Metal shifter

tommmmy03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who has or is using Gary's latest shifter, The Gen-X? Was wondering how you had the handle set up ie. what postion hightwise and on which side of the shifter handle you have it on and if you have it where is is offset away from the seat or close to the seat. I notice if you have it offset close to the seat it is really to close and away from the seat seems to be ok. Also I tried to put the shifter handle in it's lowest setting, you can put the top bolt in but that's it. The second bolt will not go in any of the other bolt holes. If you put it in the lowest setting but don't use the top bolt hole it would work but some more of the handle needs to be milled away. Was very disapponted that this was not right. Seems like a simple fix to a problem that should have never been there anyways. What kind of BS is that?:dontknow:

I've got mine in the highest position and everything is toward the driver. This way second is pretty close to me but fifth isn't too far away either.

Well I don't like this shifter. I'm taking it out. I have it for sell on here.

I know on your "sale" thread you said you didn't like anything about the shifter but I would like you to elaborate on what you didn't like. It will help other people in the market to make a decision for themselves. Describe what things about it that bothered you. I've had mine in for about six months and still like it. It just feels more precise than the stock shifter or B&M. I still have the B&M in the shop and might swap it back in to see if I feel a difference.

SilvrSRT10 said:
I know on your "sale" thread you said you didn't like anything about the shifter but I would like you to elaborate on what you didn't like. It will help other people in the market to make a decision for themselves. Describe what things about it that bothered you. I've had mine in for about six months and still like it. It just feels more precise than the stock shifter or B&M. I still have the B&M in the shop and might swap it back in to see if I feel a difference.
I just don't like all that twisting it does, I keep checking my shifter ball thinking it has become loose. Plus it didn't help the problem of going to 3rd from 2nd at WOT, starting to think the problem might be elsewhere

mauiSRT/10 said:
I have heard others state that the twisting action is just too weird. Might want to try a b&m.

patrick
I have a B&M. From what I have read on here, the X-Metal shifter is suppose to be better for racing and the B&M is good all around. I thought the Gen-X shifter would help WOT shifts but it didn't, Like I said I'm thinking I may have a problem some where else

In the Viper thread I've been reading that the best improvement for the 2nd to 3rd shift are new engine and tranny mounts.

that "twisting" is indeed strange for the first time... as so many things :eek: :p :D ... now i don't feel it anymore... it shifts exactly precise , click,click... i'm satisfied with my GENIV... :rock:

tommmmy03 said:
I just don't like all that twisting it does, I keep checking my shifter ball thinking it has become loose.
Yeah, there is a twist to it. I know it's exaggerated with a "T" handle but I don't even notice it with a ball handle.

I would have to agree that stiffer engine and trans mounts might help the shifting. Under hard acceleration, third gear is not in the same place as it is during normal driving due to the torque of the engine having everything twisted up. I guess I need to do a 1-2-5 shift in order to catch 3 in it's new location.:dontknow:

belgiumbarry said:
that "twisting" is indeed strange for the first time... as so many things :eek: :p :D ... now i don't feel it anymore... it shifts exactly precise , click,click... i'm satisfied with my GENIV... :rock:

Yes, but isnt the gen IV and gen x different in some way?

patrick

When i changed my trans fluid all my problems seemed to get better, but i have loved my X-metal from day 1. "Click-click" shifts no problem:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back