Yamaha V-Max

Racing your truck against a VMax isn't even a contest..........Sorry.:eek:

I've been riding muscle bikes since the mid 60s....from the days of the original Triumph Bonneville and TR through the Snortin' Norton 750, the Mighty 900Kawi, ZX11, ZX10r to today.....I owned 'em all...

These bikes get fkn lost quick...at any roll... I'm not an expert about many things... But on a big bore bike at over 150 mph, I know a bit....... Been to 180 many, many times....

Anyone who drag races a 500lb 125hp bike against a 5400lb 500 hp truck is looking forward to only one thing..... A nice view of a bike getting very small, very quickly.....

Django

Last edited:
This is better than me trying to race my uncles viper... just rember you can't redlight on the road...

I mean, hell......

Bike = 4.00 hp per pound
Truck = .92 hp per pound

Power to weight is almost everything.......

Django

Silent D said:
I mean, hell......

Bike = 4.00 hp per pound
Truck = .92 hp per pound

Power to weight is almost everything.......

Django

Agreed. I had no idea a "Vmax" was the performer it was. . . :D

Guess I am going to find out the hard way!

Last edited:
Well. Here we go folks, in 10 minutes I'm gonna lose my ass!:D

Silent D said:
These bikes get fkn lost quick...at any roll... I'm not an expert about many things... But on a big bore bike at over 150 mph, I know a bit....... Been to 180 many, many times....

Django

My FZ1 pudders out at 150... :eek:

WILDMAN

Man, race him in the 280Z. You can half track him . A co-worker has one and I can beat him by 15 cars in a 1/4 easy.

Wade

There's no argument the Japanese have led the motorcycling world in terms of producing efficient, reliable machines as far back as the 1960s. What they have been less good at is making bikes which stand out as being totally original instead of developments of already existing concepts. That was until the Yamaha V-Max arrived in 1985.

Everything about the V-Max was, and is, original. Every element of the bike, from the first sketches through to the finished product, is 100% Japanese, even if it was conceived and drawn in America.

The first seeds of the V-Max project were sown when Yamaha's Project Leader, Mr. Araki, saw American teenagers drag racing over a quarter-mile bridge span over the Mississippi River. He was immediately taken with the concept of developing a motorcycling version of an American V-8 hot-rod. The bike would have huge torque, huge power and dramatic acceleration. It would also take its visual cues from the low roof lines and immense tires of 1950s Funny Cars.

The design team locked itself away in a Yamaha satellite office in Santa Monica, Calif., and a month later the V-Max appeared as a collection of detailed sketches and a full-size paper rendering of the bike.

The core of the V-Max is its 1200cc, liquid cooled V-4 engine. It was sourced from Yamaha's 90-hp Venture touring bike, but the V-Max team turned the cuddly cruiser lump into a snarling monster of an engine with 145 hp on tap. Some of the power increase is thanks to the clever V-Boost system which allows both carburetors to feed each individual cylinder above 6000 rpm via servo-controlled butterfly valves.

The styling is pure V-Max - low, aggressive and beautifully finished. Love it or hate it, the V-Max is one of a kind.

The handling is also uniquely V-Max. Sportbike riders sneer at the ungainly appearance, but the V-Max gets round corners surprisingly well for a 1985 design. And there was no sportbike on earth that could live with a V-Max in a straight line for many years after its launch.

The great joy of the V-Max is certainly that incredible engine. Roll along gently and it burbles just like the big-block V-8 it was intended to emulate. Wind the throttle open and that 145 hp almost leaps from beneath a rider's legs and the world becomes a blur. It'll run the quarter-mile in less than 11 seconds, unheard of at the time it was introduced, and a brave rider can top a true 150 mph if he dares. Nothing on two wheels can get near to the experience.

I should have consulted w/ you guys, I mean, y'all before I got into this endeavor!!

Damn x 5!!

mcrodney said:
i had an 88 that was not stock. bought it off a notre dame kid that bought it brand new at max pitts and had lots of motor work including nos put on it. he rode it one time and shit his pants. i never had it at the track or refilled the bottles and never lost a race on it on the street. the original commercial when the vmax came out in 1986 lined it up with a f16 and until the wheels of the f16 left the ground they were side by side. was said to pull 9gs full throttle threw the gears.

try taking an f16 from a roll @50 or so :p

tidnab said:
try taking an f16 from a roll @50 or so :p
never been close enought to an f16 but the commercial was cool as hell.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back