year round driving

Donuts4me9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking to posiably pick up a quad cab for every day driving. (to be viper powered everywhere I go). I was just wondering how the truck drives in winter weather (I live in Chicago) ? the more insite the better. thanks in advance !

Scott

Dont!!!! I drive mine all year but I live in Phoenix area... so I can!! :D :D

These trucks suck in the slighest amount of wetness.. let alone snow... sorry..

Unfortunately, AZ is right, I live in Florida, but when the road gets wet, the back tires get loose! I used to live in Maine, and I can't imagine driving this thing in that awful white stuff!

Buy one, but get a 4X4 dakota for the winter!

Posts about winter driving from one-season drivers. I love it.
:D
(Just messin' with ya, fellas!)

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4609

And for the record, I have had zero problems with the Pirelli's in wet weather.
If you slow down and drive smart, they'll work even better.

EDIT-
P.S.- Just for you guys that wear shorts year round, I'll shoot some video of an SRT-10 in the snow this coming winter. Grab a hat and some gloves.... :)
Funny: The owners manual says we're not supposed to put a snow plow on our trucks.

Last edited:
we dont get much rain in the desert so when it does rain all the oil on the road mixed with water makes our roads slicker than owl shit.................

Voodoo said:
we dont get much rain in the desert so when it does rain all the oil on the road mixed with water makes our roads slicker than owl shit.................

hmmm I always wondered what it would be to drive in owl s*

thank you :)

I drove my highly-modded Lightning in Michigan Winters... :dontknow: NO PROBLEM! :)

Get a set of 20" wheels from Tire Rack and throw some of the new Blizzak tires on it. Simple.... Don't let these guys scare you.

i will be experiencing my 1st winter in the truck. went on ebay to buy some factory 20's with tires. just had a nice new set for 625 until some assbag bid 635 at the last second and won. i was so mad trying to find a deal like that again.

Kevan said:
Posts about winter driving from one-season drivers. I love it.
(Just messin' with ya, fellas!)

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4609

And for the record, I have had zero problems with the Pirelli's in wet weather.
If you slow down and drive smart, they'll work even better.

EDIT-
P.S.- Just for you guys that wear shorts year round, I'll shoot some video of an SRT-10 in the snow this coming winter. Grab a hat and some gloves.... :)
Funny: The owners manual says we're not supposed to put a snow plow on our trucks.

Hey now..I used to live in midwest... so I know all about the white fluffy stuff, black ice, freezing rain, etc...

I used to take my beater vehicle in the winter that was FWD and to reverse donuts in parking lots... also used to purposley put myself into a slide to try and get out of it... barelled through several snow banks... :D

ntw0rk said:
Ummm.... what's that mean!!?
That means the slower you drive in wet weather, the better your traction. Especially in these trucks.
Black1 said:
I drove my highly-modded Lightning in Michigan Winters... :dontknow: NO PROBLEM! :)

Get a set of 20" wheels from Tire Rack and throw some of the new Blizzak tires on it. Simple.... Don't let these guys scare you.
Agreed.
Dominick572 said:
i will be experiencing my 1st winter in the truck. went on ebay to buy some factory 20's with tires. just had a nice new set for 625 until some assbag bid 635 at the last second and won. i was so mad trying to find a deal like that again.
Look for a used set. Get them powdercoated or painted. You're only using them for a few months anyway. :)

azpyroguy said:
Hey now..I used to live in midwest... so I know all about the white fluffy stuff, black ice, freezing rain, etc...
Fair enough.

azpyroguy said:
I used to take my beater vehicle in the winter that was FWD and to reverse donuts in parking lots... also used to purposley put myself into a slide to try and get out of it... barelled through several snow banks... :D
Heh heh. My brother had a Renault LeCar (4 dr) in high school. Those things are AWESOME. We were doing Italian Job moves before Matt Damon was born.
On ice.

Kevan said:
That means the slower you drive in wet weather, the better your traction. Especially in these trucks.

I was joking about the driving smart and slowing down..... :D

Donuts4me9 said:
I was looking to posiably pick up a quad cab for every day driving. (to be viper powered everywhere I go). I was just wondering how the truck drives in winter weather (I live in Chicago) ? the more insite the better. thanks in advance !

Scott

Scott, I just moved to Wadsworth, way north of Chicago, and went through the same issue...while I think you could probably drive thru the winter, it would be risky. The thing that really made me decide to park the truck for the winter was the comment that the roads get lots of chemicals to de-ice...not just salt...those, according to those I've asked are the real problem...so I plan to go to the front wheel drive Volvo for the winter...

By the way I plan to call a GTG for the Chi Towners at my house in a week or two...Stingray, Bikerat, Dizzy Blond, and now you! Watch for my post.

And welcome to the RBC club!

Roy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back