Yet another catch can question..

VenomTruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys I know you have all heard this a million times. My catch can has recently spiked in the amount of stuff it catches. Granted colder weather is a factor and with other catch cans in previous vehicles I have seen and am used to that happening. BUT, this year my catch can has decided to display some really nasty crap, in the form of truck jizz. Thick, milky looking garbage that coats the hoses and is literally spewing out of the breather filter. The catch can fills up fast too, like full in a months time. Thats ok I guess, it just means its working. But whats with the milky gunk? Summer months this does not happen, period, and the catch can barely has anything in it. At first though I believed it was a small leak in the head gasket but I change and inspect my own oil and there are ZERO signs of that going on. In fact, after about 3k miles, the oil still looks like honey. There are no strange sounds going on and no issues. My rig has about 90k miles. Is there really so much condensation due to colder weather that this gunk is building up so much that its collecting rapidly to the point where it cannot burn off? Is there some kind of screen that should be in the catch can? What am I missing here?

My last car was an SRT8 and my catch can did this same shit but WAY less, which leads me to conclude that the size of this engine is producing way more gunk.

Lets see, the stuff that comes out of the catch can looks like tea, normal. Just trying to cover the bases here. Read up on the LX forums and saw some similar threads and the consensus was that its just cold weather condensation. I make a lot of short trips to work and back, so my best guess is that there is just simply not enough heat to burn off everything.

Let me know what you think. And thanks in advance.

not sure about yours, but mine was filling up mega quick due to a ton of blow by on the pistons and putting a ton of pressure into the crank case. causing excess gunk to fill up the catchcan

not sure about yours, but mine was filling up mega quick due to a ton of blow by on the pistons and putting a ton of pressure into the crank case. causing excess gunk to fill up the catchcan

Meaning that the piston walls are out of round right? Most likely from running the engine hot (drag racing?hot laps) Wouldnt that allow oil to get in and create smoke from the tailpipe? I dont have that problem.

:sheep::sheep::sheep:Meaning that the piston walls are out of round right?:sheep::sheep::sheep: Most likely from running the engine hot (drag racing?hot laps) Wouldnt that allow oil to get in and create smoke from the tailpipe? I dont have that problem.

be more of a piston/piston ring, with a bit of cylinder wall wear, prob:rock::rock::rock::(

be more of a piston/piston ring, with a bit of cylinder wall wear, prob:rock::rock::rock::(

Wouldnt the cylinder walls cause the ring wear in the first place? In other words, say the original owner wore the dog crap out of the motor, then went in and replaced the pistons/rings without spending all that extra $ to redo the block. I had that happen to me on a GSXR 1000. It took a LONG time to figure out what was going on. I really dont think thats the case here, but hey…I was wrong one time in 1997. (turned out I was right)

Last edited:
Wouldnt the cylinder walls cause the ring wear in the first place? In other words, say the original owner wore the dog crap out of the motor, then went in and replaced the pistons/rings without spending all that extra $ to redo the block. I had that happen to me on a GSXR 1000. It took a LONG time to figure out what was going on. I really dont think thats the case here, but hey…I was wrong one time in 1997. (turned out I was right)

the walls & rings should be a pretty close match, so wear would be bout even, with the rings bein the "quicker" wear item, by a bit.

ya have ring wear, piston ring land wear, also called beat in & wall wear.
so if some one built an engine with new piston & rings & either did nothing to the cyl. walls or just broke the glaze/honed, you have about a 2/3 engine build.

so yes you would still have a blow by oil useage prob

are you usin oil??? if so how much???
the milky stuff, i call it snot, is a mixture of water & oil. common for a catch can, dip stick tube, oil fill tube when its aways from the heat of the engine & in cooler air flow

Last edited:
the walls & rings should be a pretty close match, so wear would be bout even, with the rings bein the "quicker" wear item, by a bit.

ya have ring wear, piston ring land wear, also called beat in & wall wear.
so if some one built an engine with new piston & rings & either did nothing to the cyl. walls or just broke the glaze/honed, you have about a 2/3 engine build.

so yes you would still have a blow by oil useage prob

Great answer. But one of the symptoms of this would be smoke. Blue smoke especially on a cold start. Thats a universal rule that applies to most engines. My 10 has never even puffed a bit of smoke. So while a good explanation, your theory would show smoke. Even in very small amounts. My truck does not smoke. It doesnt even have a lighter. (my lame attempt at humor)

Great answer. But one of the symptoms of this would be smoke. Blue smoke especially on a cold start. Thats a universal rule that applies to most engines. My 10 has never even puffed a bit of smoke. So while a good explanation, your theory would show smoke. Even in very small amounts. My truck does not smoke. It doesnt even have a lighter. (my lame attempt at humor)

not so much now a days on the smokin part, that i have noticed.

it has to be really gettin oil out the exhaust to cause smokin.

i think the cats take alot of it away.

so oil useage, comp. test, leak down test, or at the least a spark plug readin would be best to see what the cyl. are doin

Mine had no smoke, only a little black smoke under hard acceleration.. oil is not getting into the combustion chamber, pressure or air is getting out of the combustion chamber.. so nothing to burn

Mine had no smoke, only a little black smoke under hard acceleration.. oil is not getting into the combustion chamber, pressure or air is getting out of the combustion chamber.. so nothing to burn

Black smoke means too much fuel. Which means that under hard acceleration your map was dumping way too much fuel. Pressure and air is supposed to come out of the combustion chamber, but if there is blow-by, then burnt oil would be blowing by the rings and producing a blue-ish smoke, especially on start ups/cold starts. This does not apply to me.

aw yes, but is it too much fuel or to little air???

on a FI, FI engine, ya could be blowin air out of the cyl. before the inj. pops off. in that case to little air & the "map" sensor does not know whats goin on in the cyl. to a point

aw yes, but is it too much fuel or to little air???

on a FI, FI engine, ya could be blowin air out of the cyl. before the inj. pops off. in that case to little air & the "map" sensor does not know whats goin on in the cyl. to a point

Im not running a FI engine homie. Internally stock. K&N intake and tuned to accommodate mods.

understand:rock:

was just pointin out ya got to narrow it down to a fuel or an air prob

Thinks its just like ZCX said. It's condensation from the weather we all are seeing combined with some oil that the catch can is designed to catch. Combine that with cool temps and ya got jizz. Lol:rock:

understand:rock:

was just pointin out ya got to narrow it down to a fuel or an air prob

Totally understand :rock:

Just do not think that my lightly modded truck would run into A/F ratio problems. I really just think its the cold weather and forgive me for being a dick, but I will try my best to prove that major issues are not the culprit.

First steps to maintenance and repair is to start with the most obvious answer.

Black smoke means too much fuel. Which means that under hard acceleration your map was dumping way too much fuel. Pressure and air is supposed to come out of the combustion chamber, but if there is blow-by, then burnt oil would be blowing by the rings and producing a blue-ish smoke, especially on start ups/cold starts. This does not apply to me.

You would think that, and thats what we thought as well but in reality i was down 2 fuel pumps and only running on 1 and my fuel pressure was in the crapper and it was lean as hell..

Thats why we pulled the motor apart to find out the previous builder did not know his head from his ass and well we are on a entirely new level now..

Why don't vehicle manufacturers have catch cans stock if there is so much water that gets transferred?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Why don't vehicle manufacturers have catch cans stock if there is so much water that gets transferred?

Its easier to just let your engine burn it off. Imagine buying a brand new Lexus and then the dealership says, "oh and once a month you have to pop your hood and empty this jar of crap in an environmentally safe place"

Its easier to just let your engine burn it off. Imagine buying a brand new Lexus and then the dealership says, "oh and once a month you have to pop your hood and empty this jar of crap in an environmentally safe place"

First off I wouldn't buy a Lexus. But IF I did why couldn't they make it large enough to hold over what is expected to build up in an oil change length it could be emptied.

I have never really looked into a catch can. Never knew to much about them. Are they universal? Where do they actually hook up to? Is it worth getting one? Not sure what the benefit is?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back