YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!

jimmyg79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad:
I don't f'n beleive it!! I change the spark plugs in my truck to the colder ones. After I get them changed, I take the truck for a spin to see if it affected the A/F at all. Well before I even get out of the sub, I feel that there is quite a hesitation. So I pull over pop the hood and check all of the sparkplug wires. Well what do you know, one of the wires was not conected. Well I pop it back on and fire up the truck to hear a nice ticking sound from that plug that grew louder to more of a sputter. It almost sounds like a bad maifold gasket leak. I pop the hood again to feel a nice puff comming from between the front spark plug on the passenger side (which was the wire that was not hooked on in the first place) and the header. I shut the truck off again and get a little burnt oil smoke comming from the header gasket area and imediately throw out a pronounced F bomb. So it sounds and looks like a cracked head to me, what do you guys think? If that's the case what should I do? How F'n stupid is this that I break something before I even hit the spray. I still don't beleive it!

That stinks ---I don't see how the head could have cracked by changing out the spark plugs..

might be a faulty spark plug or seal.
did ya have any trouble gettin that plug out, like possible pulled/gauled a thread & gave ya a false tight feelin on the new one???
did ya put anti-seize on the new plugs????

I just checked everything again and it's definately not comming from the spark plug hole. Maybe it is just a blown out header gasket, but why would there be a burnt oil smell comming from it? And could that gasket blow due to all the unburned gas in the cyclinder all of a sudden egniting after I plugged it in and starting it up?

jimmyg79 said:
I just checked everything again and it's definately not comming from the spark plug hole. Maybe it is just a blown out header gasket, but why would there be a burnt oil smell comming from it? And could that gasket blow due to all the unburned gas in the cyclinder all of a sudden egniting after I plugged it in and starting it up?

It most likely is an exhaust gasket failure. The oil smell may not be an indication of anything else wrong. More likely than not it's just a coincidence. Unless you were running nitromethane, I doubt the re-firing of that cylinder was the culprit.

Probably time to pull the header and find out.:(

That's what I'm thinking and hoping. I'll pop it off tomorrow and let you guys know what I find out.

Tighten the header in the morning cold,,,and relax.

Jimmy, order up a set of the factory Dodge exhaust manifold gaskets. They seal the best.

Bill.

The multi-layer metal gaskets are great. Couple those with the Stage 8 bolts, and you shouldn't ever have to deal with this again (assuming that this turns out to be the issue).;)

I'm pretty sure this is the issue. I popped the header off at lunch and watched all of the shattered pieces of the POS gasket fall to the ground. I'll have the OEM gasket tomorrow morning and should have it in after work.

You guys should have heard this thing last night, it sounded like an old ford tractor.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back