WING TEST RESULTS !!!!!!

belgiumbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally... found some time ( holidays this week ! :D ) to perform my WING TEST.... :confused: :(
It is a shame... not to mention any further...:D
I was alone so took some pic's to prove :

at about 60 mph.... test1.jpg

at about 90 mph.... test2.jpg

at about 100 mph... test3.jpg

believe me , at 125 mph it's 20 kg's, so appprox 40 pounds.... didn't find it wise to take a pic at that speed....;)

so i'm glad the wing doesn't give lift...... :confused: :dontknow: :( ;) :D

Man that's great stuff!!! This argument is objectively put to bed as far as I'm concerned, but then it always has been subjectively clear in my mind...:D

So this was a measure of the downforce created by the wing?

Hope you have a great holiday!!:rock:

ntw0rk said:
So this was a measure of the downforce created by the wing?

Hope you have a great holiday!!:rock:

yes, sorry, this is downforce from a factory wing on a bedcover......should have been X10..... :confused: :dontknow:

BelgiumBarry, In simple terms what is the reason and purpose for your wing test...can you also test the whole trucks wind resistance or possibly airodynamics with comparision vehicles ----inquiring mind wants to know.

mmmmtorque said:
Nice ;)

Any pics of the sensor on the wing ?

can take one but it's only a scale which i put in the bed under the wing supporting the cover just a bit above his closed position. All static weight is compensated by the scale every time i put in on.Believe me , it works perfect , i tested it , even with me.... don't gonna tell that downforce ! :p :confused: ;) :D
The display you see is the one from the scale i took apart and solderd long wires between them.
Sorry , our wings are history.... :mad:

05QCViper said:
BelgiumBarry, In simple terms what is the reason and purpose for your wing test...can you also test the whole trucks wind resistance or possibly airodynamics with comparision vehicles ----inquiring mind wants to know.

nono, Jim, test gives only the downforce created by the wing in function of speed . The wing should give much more downforce = extra weight on the rear tyres at higher speeds... so helps driving stability and cornering capabilitys... Our wings give 40 pounds at 125 mph... that's nothing ! :mad:

Question: Was this the re-designed 05 wing, or the 1st Generation 04-05 wing?

An easy way to tell:
- No Center Support = Gen 1 wing.
- Center Support = Gen. 2 wing.

I see now --is there anything that you know that would improve the down force of our wing---angle changes or spacers ...have you done a test with out the bed cover? ---I would hate to see NOWHAT remove his wing again.

Kevan said:
Question: Was this the re-designed 05 wing, or the 1st Generation 04-05 wing?

An easy way to tell:
- No Center Support = Gen 1 wing.
- Center Support = Gen. 2 wing.

has no center support , it's the 04 wing.

05QCViper said:
I see now --is there anything that you know that would improve the down force of our wing---angle changes or spacers ...have you done a test with out the bed cover? ---I would hate to see NOWHAT remove his wing again.

it could be bad influence by the bed cover.
Would like to do it without the cover but i'm afraid i don't have the time.... would demand a complete other setup as i now have a wing "hinged" by the cover and i can easely put the scale under... so i should make a open frame on which the wing... ofcourse it must be sturdy enough as one's expect downforces around 200 pounds.... :D :confused:

this is cool...but as a test....I am afraid it shows nothing conclusive....

A test with a bedcover alone (no wing) could show downforce....perhaps more than 40 and thus the wing would in this example be creating lift....:dontknow:

back to work Barry...:D

1 more test with the cover and no wing...

Okay...cool. Just had to get clarification.

I've watched my 1st. Gen wing at "above highway speeds". With no center support, it vibrates like a product tester at the Doc Johnson factory. I think a center support on the 1st Gen. wing would add a little bit of downforce (but certainly not enough).

The shape of the 1st. Gen was designed to work WITHOUT a tonneau cover.
The shape of the 2nd. Gen was designed to work WITH a tonneau cover.
The shapes are obviously different when inspected closely.
-----------------------------------
F-ing NowWhat....always trying to ditch the wing...
:D

Damn, where do I start.

It's a fairly good rumor that using the first generation wing with a cover may generate lift. That was the reason for the redesign of the second generation wing. If you compare the two wings the differences are very appearent.

Next item is that the wing generated 40 pounds of down force at 125MPH. Is that a lot or not? That's not known by this test. It is possible that without the wing there is an actual lift value. That is unknown with this test. Lets just for the sake of arguement say without the wing the cover is seeing 200 pounds of lift. And believe me, this is very possible. That would mean that the total down force would be 240 pounds, not 40 pounds.

Make sense?

Still good information Barry. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this.:rock:

Way to go Mr Waffle Head(AKA Barry):rock: :rock:Great info and thanks for taking all that time to help illustrate how slight a change in wing/spoiler design can affect the Downforce. Really hard to out quess those engineers after all.:rock: :rock: :D :D

belgiumbarry said:
finally... found some time ( holidays this week ! :D ) to perform my WING TEST.... :confused: :(
It is a shame... not to mention any further...:D
I was alone so took some pic's to prove :

at about 60 mph.... View attachment 18044

at about 90 mph.... View attachment 18045

at about 100 mph... View attachment 18046

believe me , at 125 mph it's 20 kg's, so appprox 40 pounds.... didn't find it wise to take a pic at that speed....;)

so i'm glad the wing doesn't give lift...... :confused: :dontknow: :( ;) :D

This is a weird one.
I have full liners in the wheel wells of my truck. Eventually they rubbed through and were replaced on warranty.
I weigh 200 lbs. When I stand and even bounce on the trailer hitch, the tires don't even come close to the rub marks. I have never towed with the truck so the rubs marks have to be from something else.

My dealer said there is 400 pounds of downforce at 120+ m.p.h. at that is what is causing the wear. 400 seems like a lot but I can't explain what is happening otherwise.

rottenronnie said:
This is a weird one.
I have full liners in the wheel wells of my truck. Eventually they rubbed through and were replaced on warranty.
I weigh 200 lbs. When I stand and even bounce on the trailer hitch, the tires don't even come close to the rub marks. I have never towed with the truck so the rubs marks have to be from something else.

My dealer said there is 400 pounds of downforce at 120+ m.p.h. at that is what is causing the wear. 400 seems like a lot but I can't explain what is happening otherwise.

do you have the GEN 2 type wing ? This test is with the GEN 1.
do you carry load in the bed sometimes ?
lowered the truck ?
ofcourse roadbumps cause harder pushes then standing on the hitch....spinning wheels touching can cause severe damage in sec's...:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back