10 Weeks to fix a Viper engine - WTF???

HDVIPER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, back in February I was racing the Viper (it's an 04 with less than 6,000 miles) against my buddies' 03 ZO6 and in the middle of the run I blew something.:eek: There was a loud clanking noise coming from the engine. I thought I had broken a valve spring or something. Anyways, towed it to the dealer and the next week they call me to let me know the noise was coming from the bottom end and that they needed to pull the engine and send it to DC. Well, 10 weeks later, today I finally called to see WTF was going on with the car. I haven't received any calls other than to ask if I've got a cover for the car since it was going to be out of commission for awhile. In any case they said they did get the engine back, he couldn't tell me what was wrong with it. (Apparently DC doesn't tell them:dontknow: ) And he told me that it was going to be close to the end of next week before the car would be ready to go. My question is, does this sound right to you guys? 10 weeks to fix a brand new car? :confused: Does this sound right to you guys? Do I have any rights here, i.e. lemon law type stuff? Thanks in advance!

I don't think that you have any recourse here at all. The lemon laws only deal with having a certain number of issues during a set period. And while 10 weeks does seem like an awful long time, I know there are folks that have waited longer for major fixes such as this.

Who is the dealer? At the very least you could add your comments to the new dealer thread we have.

10 weeks seems excessive..but not being able to tell you what was wrong is bullshit..in my opinion of course..

each state has different lemon laws. for instance in Ca. vehicle down for 30 days or more qualifies you for lemon law. I had a viper engine rebuild take 9 months to complete. is this a viper truck or car you're talking about?

8 WEEKS IS NORMAL TURNAROUND TIME FOR ARROW RACING. THAT DOESN'T INCLUDE THE REMOVAL, SHIPPING AND INSTALL.

Thanks guys, yeah this is a Viper car and it actually is at Glendora Dodge. They are good guys over there but this sure does seem to be an accesive amount of time to be down. They haven't offered a rental car, not that I need one, but you would think they'd at least do that. Plus, if they buy back the car, don't they pay the original price? Thanks again!

they pay you back orignal price minus usage fee. meaning the time and mileage that you used it before the problem you pay for. kinda like a prorate charge.

HDVIPER said:
My question is, does this sound right to you guys? 10 weeks to fix a brand new car? :confused: Does this sound right to you guys?

As VIPERTEK said, these go to Arrow Racing Engines. Todd was so backed up when mine hit his shop that he had to refer me to another performance builder that he works with. Arrow is also involved with the GENIV engine, so they have lots on their plate.

Figuring on a total of 8-10 days transit, and time to remove and replace (also as mentioned), 10-12 weeks is moving right along. Yeah, long time to be down, but try 10-12 months for a custom build if you really want to have your patience tried.:p

Ram From Hell said:
but try 10-12 months ...

If your waiting 10-12 months for a block build (pistons, rods, cam, crank, sleeves, etc..) then your getting taken for every penny you have; and getting the shaft (no pun intended) ;) . A block build should not take 1 year to do on these motors. Maybe an entire Truck (suspension, frame, motor, trans, body, etc..).

Many of the top block builder (EED) can build a complete motor (including machine work) and less then 3 months time.

Mike, how long did it take to get your block done (just the block from EED, not install/removal)???!

-Red

RedSrt007 said:
If your waiting 10-12 months for a block build (pistons, rods, cam, crank, sleeves, etc..) then your getting taken for every penny you have; and getting the shaft (no pun intended) ;) . A block build should not take 1 year to do on these motors. Maybe an entire Truck (suspension, frame, motor, trans, body, etc..).

Many of the top block builder (EED) can build a complete motor (including machine work) and less then 3 months time.

Mike, how long did it take to get your block done (just the block from EED, not install/removal)???!

-Red

less then 3 months....no premium paid....would have been faster if not for the head work....(not EED)

Nowwhat said:
less then 3 months....no premium paid....would have been faster if not for the head work....(not EED)
So would you say 10-12 weeks is a fair timeframe?

viprtek said:
BUT HOW MUCH DID HE PAY FOR THAT QUICK TURNAROUND???:dontknow:

These motors are not rocket science...were not building NASA's next project; heck, half the parts in the motor are off a chevy :D

Nowwhat said:
Less then 3 months....no premium paid....would have been faster if not for the head work....(not EED)

My point exactly. Jack and I are in the process of building his Red truck up, and his block should take a couple month(s) to finish the block... (6-8 weeks)

So DC didn't do the rush service for him?? Look at the coin he spends with them. His truck went first in line.

Its not that the engine is a NASA project. It's theres more than one motor that needs rebuilt at Arrow!

viprtek said:
So DC didn't do the rush service for him?? Look at the coin he spends with them. His truck went first in line.

Its not that the engine is a NASA project. It's theres more than one motor that needs rebuilt at Arrow!

Oh, ok....we must not be on the same page :eek:

I thought we were talking about rebuilds in general; not just Arrow.

If were talking about Arrow, then it all depends on there work load :dontknow::)

did they give u a loaner or what ? some sorta rental car discount atleast ? i am not cool with dealership service any more ! did you guys read everybody chime in on that thread yesterday about dealership service ? HD Viper , i would make a big stink about all this because they are not even informing you of what the exact repairs are ... ask them for the number of their regional dodge rep ...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back