48RE rebuild

EODSRT-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I pulled the tranny out and sent it to Dusty up at HTS. A few of us have contacted him about our trucks and what is going on. After they set up the shipping, which got there very quickly, he ripped it apart immediately and contacted me as soon as he was done. We discussed what was going on with the tranny and what he was going to do to fix it. I am very impressed so far with the customer service and am looking forward to putting this tranny back in and see what she's got. Besides it is going to have a 2 year 50K milage warranty.

Can't wait to hear about the results. After my engine build over the next few weeks, I'm sure the tranny we be next to go under the knife. Keep us posted.

:D
EODSRT-10 said:
Ok, I pulled the tranny out and sent it to Dusty up at HTS. A few of us have contacted him about our trucks and what is going on. After they set up the shipping, which got there very quickly, he ripped it apart immediately and contacted me as soon as he was done. We discussed what was going on with the tranny and what he was going to do to fix it. I am very impressed so far with the customer service and am looking forward to putting this tranny back in and see what she's got. Besides it is going to have a 2 year 50K milage warranty.

What did he do to it??:D

Would be interesting to see what other options and costs are out there !!:rock:

FlyingLow said:
Where is he located?

Lowell,Michigan

Just getting a list ready to order:rock:

Hey EODSRT-10,interested in what you all getting done being you have a ROE.

Last edited:

I wrote this for another thread, but it would apply here also.

Mechanical issues are the symptoms of a cause. The best way to correct a symptom is to identify the cause, or variable, before any corrective action is performed.
However that requires a full understanding of each components function.
Case in point;

A friend of mine called me and was furious because his truck that he only uses to tow his boat overheated. He just thought the thermostat was stuck from sitting. He drained, flushed, installed new coolant and thermostat to no avail, because he didnt know how to check for a bad thermostat first.

Next he installed a new water pump to no avail. He didnt know how to check the water pump.

Anyway I made a list of all reasonable variables and how to check their function.

It turned out some type bird had built a nest between the ac condensor and radiator blocking most of the air flow.

The above happens all to often at repair shops.

The thing that impressed me about 'Dusty' is that with each symptom there are only so many variables involved and he seemed to know them all.

If none of the above makes sense it is a symptom of the variable of me being half asleep :D :D :D :D :D :D

supercar1of1 said:

I wrote this for another thread, but it would apply here also.

Mechanical issues are the symptoms of a cause. The best way to correct a symptom is to identify the cause, or variable, before any corrective action is performed.
However that requires a full understanding of each components function.
Case in point;

A friend of mine called me and was furious because his truck that he only uses to tow his boat overheated. He just thought the thermostat was stuck from sitting. He drained, flushed, installed new coolant and thermostat to no avail, because he didnt know how to check for a bad thermostat first.

Next he installed a new water pump to no avail. He didnt know how to check the water pump.

Anyway I made a list of all reasonable variables and how to check their function.

It turned out some type bird had built a nest between the ac condensor and radiator blocking most of the air flow.

The above happens all to often at repair shops.

The thing that impressed me about 'Dusty' is that with each symptom there are only so many variables involved and he seemed to know them all.

If none of the above makes sense it is a symptom of the variable of me being half asleep :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ill buy into that:D :D :D and a lot of the time lack of understanding gets us the shaft at the dealer:marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow:

thewelshm

After talking to Dusty and telling him what I have done to the truck and that I will only take it to the track rarely and mostly just normal street use with the ocassional street race. We decided that new RED bands and cluthes, new steels, new electronics, new factory input shaft (just because), he is going to adjust the tolerances and fix the 2-3 shift timing issue (which is what seems to be the root of many problems with this tranny). Also I added a dubble deep pan. I think there are some other things that he is going to tweek?? Once I get it back and have a complete list I'll let you all know. I should get it back middle next week.

-Jeff-

Hey EODSRT-10,interested in what you all getting done being you have a ROE.[/QUOTE]

EODSRT-10 said:
After talking to Dusty and telling him what I have done to the truck and that I will only take it to the track rarely and mostly just normal street use with the ocassional street race. We decided that new RED bands and cluthes, new steels, new electronics, new factory input shaft (just because), he is going to adjust the tolerances and fix the 2-3 shift timing issue (which is what seems to be the root of many problems with this tranny). Also I added a dubble deep pan. I think there are some other things that he is going to tweek?? Once I get it back and have a complete list I'll let you all know. I should get it back middle next week.

-Jeff-

Perfect! I was woundering about the red bands and clutches,That completes my list ,Thanks:rock:

EODSRT-10 said:

-Jeff-

Hey EODSRT-10,interested in what you all getting done being you have a ROE.
[/QUOTE]

What impressed me the most is that he seemed to have identified the cause of the symptoms of excessive band wear and constant adjustment in the first place.

OK, the tranny has been shipped from HTS today and should be here in a couple days. Unfortunately I am heading to Arizon for work (Free fall parachute training) and wount be back until next Saturday :D :(
I'll post up what exactly was done to it when I get back.
Dusty was really excited about the build and is pretty confident that it is going to work. I'll put it to the test!! ;)

48re

The 48re in the qc srt-10's was interesting to say the least. It was fun to see more of chrysler's trying to do something a little different and causing even more problems. I had heard the v/b had a different spring for the limit valve in the part-throttle kickdown assembly, this turned out to be false. the 48re v/b in the srt and diesels are exactly the same. Actually, besides the braces on the overdrive and the torque converter, they are exact, except for one very important thing, the frt servo. On the diesel, they use the spring from the 47re, v-10 truck or diesel, in the frt servo. In the srt, they use the spring from a 318-360 46re/rh transmission. Also the frt servo itself has a much larger apply and relief hole in the bottom of the piston, where the diesel has a very small side drilled apply and release. No damn wonder these things are literally cooking frt clutches. This was chrysler's attempt to help the 6000rpm gear changes and, in my humble opinion, shot themselves in the foot. The only other difference was that the accumulator bottom spring is not there from the factory (mistake) causing the plastic accumualtor to literally smash itself against the v/b on upshifts. I talked to one of you on here about this and I thought at that time that there should be one there and there is not. They did however use a spring somewhat like the 42re in the 3.9 dakota on top of the accumulator. Everything else is exactly the same, including lube circuits(hint-hint), yes that is for you STINKER.
Don't worry JEFF, your accumulator is no longer plastic or without springs. Hope I have helped. It was fun to see what the factory did so we could do an autopsy and hopefully correct the conditions.

dhawk

dhawk said:
The 48re in the qc srt-10's was interesting to say the least. It was fun to see more of chrysler's trying to do something a little different and causing even more problems. I had heard the v/b had a different spring for the limit valve in the part-throttle kickdown assembly, this turned out to be false. the 48re v/b in the srt and diesels are exactly the same. Actually, besides the braces on the overdrive and the torque converter, they are exact, except for one very important thing, the frt servo. On the diesel, they use the spring from the 47re, v-10 truck or diesel, in the frt servo. In the srt, they use the spring from a 318-360 46re/rh transmission. Also the frt servo itself has a much larger apply and relief hole in the bottom of the piston, where the diesel has a very small side drilled apply and release. No damn wonder these things are literally cooking frt clutches. This was chrysler's attempt to help the 6000rpm gear changes and, in my humble opinion, shot themselves in the foot. The only other difference was that the accumulator bottom spring is not there from the factory (mistake) causing the plastic accumualtor to literally smash itself against the v/b on upshifts. I talked to one of you on here about this and I thought at that time that there should be one there and there is not. They did however use a spring somewhat like the 42re in the 3.9 dakota on top of the accumulator. Everything else is exactly the same, including lube circuits(hint-hint), yes that is for you STINKER.
Don't worry JEFF, your accumulator is no longer plastic or without springs. Hope I have helped. It was fun to see what the factory did so we could do an autopsy and hopefully correct the conditions.

dhawk

Dusty,

I think I told you about the missing spring on the accumulator when I spoke to you on the phone. My first trans had that issue and the SRT tech actually called the Chrysler engineers on that one. There is supposed to be a spring in there. Otherwise, like you said the plastic accumulator will disentigrate and thats what was happening to mine.

From your experience with this SRT trans and for those of us who bought parts, is there anything else we should order? Now that you had a chance to see the inside of one?

SlvrSnake said:
Dusty,

From your experience with this SRT trans and for those of us who bought parts, is there anything else we should order? Now that you had a chance to see the inside of one?

:dito: :dito: :dito:

48re

No, not really. I sell the special servo spring to you guys. Also blocking the controlled load portion of the frt servo is a massive help. I hesitate to say these things in the open forum because of competition but oh well. Poss using the servo piston out of a 46-47 or diesel 48 would help too. That is of course if you can't tig weld the hole in it shut or block the hole some other creative way. o/d lube seems to be another issue. Let me tell you why:

diesel 3000 rpms/ o/d gear ratio .69=4348 output speed.
srt 10 6000 rpms/ o/d gear ratio .69=8696 output speed.

Your srt-10 can have double the output speed of a diesel. That coupled with the fact the diesel has usually a 3.5 or 3.7 gear and you guys have a 4.5 or 4.8 gear, the output is humming. Without giving too much away, oil is flinging off quicker than it gets where it needs to go.

The final issue is rpms that supposedly cannot be overcome. Yes it can, but here is the problem. the frt clutch drum weighs 10-11 pounds and is stationary in second gear because it is being held by the frt band. At WOT at 6000 rpms the 2-3 is made and the frt clutch drum has to instantly turn say 5300 rpms because of gear ratio the engine speed comes down. Yeah, take 11 pounds and make it instantly turn 5300 rpms, where the diesel shifting at 3000 rpms makes it instantly turn sway 2300 rpms, big difference. Without superchargers, or turbos, is one thing, but with them, you need to have enough available oil from the v/b to slam it with oil so it can do it with enough clutch clamping force and then also make the frt band come off fast enough to not have too much 2-3 overlap.

I hope some of you are coming to the conclusion that trans-go shift kits and double deep pans are not accomplishing what your looking for. Better clutch frictions, better bands, and just adding line pressure are doing nothing but poss accelerating the problem.

BTW stinker I still want my hug if I'm right and all this works. He's probably still writing this or printing it off for JASPER transmissions to read.

sincerely
dhawk

dhawk said:
No, not really. I sell the special servo spring to you guys. Also blocking the controlled load portion of the frt servo is a massive help. I hesitate to say these things in the open forum because of competition but oh well. Poss using the servo piston out of a 46-47 or diesel 48 would help too. That is of course if you can't tig weld the hole in it shut or block the hole some other creative way. o/d lube seems to be another issue. Let me tell you why:

diesel 3000 rpms/ o/d gear ratio .69=4348 output speed.
srt 10 6000 rpms/ o/d gear ratio .69=8696 output speed.

Your srt-10 can have double the output speed of a diesel. That coupled with the fact the diesel has usually a 3.5 or 3.7 gear and you guys have a 4.5 or 4.8 gear, the output is humming. Without giving too much away, oil is flinging off quicker than it gets where it needs to go.

The final issue is rpms that supposedly cannot be overcome. Yes it can, but here is the problem. the frt clutch drum weighs 10-11 pounds and is stationary in second gear because it is being held by the frt band. At WOT at 6000 rpms the 2-3 is made and the frt clutch drum has to instantly turn say 5300 rpms because of gear ratio the engine speed comes down. Yeah, take 11 pounds and make it instantly turn 5300 rpms, where the diesel shifting at 3000 rpms makes it instantly turn sway 2300 rpms, big difference. Without superchargers, or turbos, is one thing, but with them, you need to have enough available oil from the v/b to slam it with oil so it can do it with enough clutch clamping force and then also make the frt band come off fast enough to not have too much 2-3 overlap.

I hope some of you are coming to the conclusion that trans-go shift kits and double deep pans are not accomplishing what your looking for. Better clutch frictions, better bands, and just adding line pressure are doing nothing but poss accelerating the problem.

BTW stinker I still want my hug if I'm right and all this works. He's probably still writing this or printing it off for JASPER transmissions to read.

sincerely
dhawk

Dusty,
I say this with all sincerity. Tony (Stinker) is an honorable man. I would bet my paycheck that he truly hopes a solution is found. And I also bet he would not be one bit disappointed if you were the one to find it and share it with the people on this forum. But we have had a couple vendors come and go that had the appearance of preying on the members. So there tends to be a little bit of a protective nature displayed.

Do us a favor, Keep coming and stay a part of our community. If you are up for it, talk with FstJack and become a vendor. And most of all, if you are free join in at the next GTG. We are a good group of people when we all take the time to meet.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back