48RE rebuild

tinygiants said:
Dusty,
I say this with all sincerity. Tony (Stinker) is an honorable man. I would bet my paycheck that he truly hopes a solution is found. And I also bet he would not be one bit disappointed if you were the one to find it and share it with the people on this forum. But we have had a couple vendors come and go that had the appearance of preying on the members. So there tends to be a little bit of a protective nature displayed.

Do us a favor, Keep coming and stay a part of our community. If you are up for it, talk with FstJack and become a vendor. And most of all, if you are free join in at the next GTG. We are a good group of people when we all take the time to meet.

Great advise on both sides !!!:rock:

DHAWK-----What new electronics are being used ?.. do they solve the problem with the govenor issues ?

This is the one part where I am still poss wrong. The new electronics are just new chrysler gov solenoid and transducer. I still believe transmission debris is the root cause of this.
I was a dealership technician (easy fellas) before I started my business. I watched the 318-360 half ton 46re's fail over and over. The aftermarket transmission places kept saying remove the cooler line check ball. It plugs with debris over time and stops flow. WOW REALLY, this sounds brilliant, except, where is the debris coming from? This is when everyone turned their head and mumbled. They were blaming a check ball for failure when it was failing anyways.
Converter, this is the only place I could see debris coming from the 46. It had a 2.5 ratio lever, not horrible 2-3 timing, no frt clutch failure, no damage otherwise on inspection, it had to be converter. Chrysler had tsb's, updated converter, different boost valve plates, etc. They still puked. Once I was in business I started playing with the idea that maybe at low rpm , high hydraulic demand situations actually caused the converter clutch to partially be engaged when it wasn't supposed to be causing it to glaze. Debris would go to the cooler, stop the check ball, flow would decrease, o/d wouldn't get enough cooler return lube, trans melts, open wallet.
The point is, I feel I'm beating a dead horse, when I say that yes the gov solenoids in the chrysler trans (albeit a horrible design) are not the complete problem. If they have debris in them, WHY? Where did it come from? Fix that first. No matter how many steps you have to go back to find the cause. If the aftermarket GM piece fixes your unit, great. Maybe this will be the remedy, however, we still need to stop the debris.
dhawk

Dusty,
First, I commend you on the approach that you have taken on this forum. I for one appreciate the time you have taken to explain--in detail, the inner workings of our trucks.

With that said, and for the simple fact that I own a QC, I hope that your intentions are good, and that you figure out a solution to our tranny problems.

Coming from the Ford world several years ago, we had the luxury of having a gentlmen named Brian at BTS who made pretty much indestructible transmissions for all Ford trucks, especially the 4R100. I would love to see a vendor here that could ultimatley provide that type of quality and service. He basically challenged you to break one of his tranny's. If you can achieve that here, it would be beneficial for all involved.

And again, as mentioned above, Stinker is just concerned for the welfare of the members. Outside of that, he is a close friend of mine, and I know as much as anyone else, he wants to see a remedy for this issue; whether you or Jasper finds it.

dhawk said:
BTW stinker I still want my hug if I'm right and all this works. He's probably still writing this or printing it off for JASPER transmissions to read.

sincerely
dhawk

No I dont have the time to go back and forth, I leave things to them, I have too many things going on, than to be able to sit and focus on anything you are taking the time to post.they have there own engineers that are paid to have things figured out.
but no, with your attitude bud, I dont think you will be getting any hugs soon. But I wish my guys all the luck in the world, and will leave it at that.

and thanks tiny and outnumbered, I do
sincerely
nobody listens

You took a cheap shot at me stinker by telling a member that you wouldn't buy what I thought would work. I took a cheap shot back and for that I'm sorry. I don't know you as a person so I don't really have an opinion.
The fact of the matter is though, I've gotten one transmission from a member and did fix it our way. I almost lost money on the deal, furthermore I have taken the time (my time) to explain what I have found with the srt-10 trans and also the last 18yrs of research, time, money, failures, etc that I am flat out giving these members for free on the internet. If that makes me a bad person or charlaton than I guess my father was right. "You can't please everyone". To the rest of you, I didn't come this far by giving up. I don't set around and say, oh well it just can't be done". I will also keep posting if they let me, explaining my findings, lessons, and what we need to do to remedy the transmission issue.
sincerely
dhawk

dhawk said:
You took a cheap shot at me stinker by telling a member that you wouldn't buy what I thought would work. I took a cheap shot back and for that I'm sorry. I don't know you as a person so I don't really have an opinion.
The fact of the matter is though, I've gotten one transmission from a member and did fix it our way. I almost lost money on the deal, furthermore I have taken the time (my time) to explain what I have found with the srt-10 trans and also the last 18yrs of research, time, money, failures, etc that I am flat out giving these members for free on the internet. If that makes me a bad person or charlaton than I guess my father was right. "You can't please everyone". To the rest of you, I didn't come this far by giving up. I don't set around and say, oh well it just can't be done". I will also keep posting if they let me, explaining my findings, lessons, and what we need to do to remedy the transmission issue.
sincerely
dhawk

Trust me...many of us reading in the background appreciate your input.:rock:

dhawk said:
sincerely
dhawk

I havetn taken a cheap shot, trust me , if I do you will def be aware of it, most will tell you that;) i personally jsut dont think a valve body is the answer, and thats my feeling and opinion, But bickering about the situation does nobody good, and I jsut try not to subject myself to it anymore.
So jsut do what you do, and build the guys a good tranny, You really have no idea how much I want you too;)
now have a good day:rock:

Dusty I still like you :):):)

Sorry for the others that have acted a bit selfishly...............

Thanks for what you do and sorry for getting you into it. Didn't know a bit of info from a true 48re specialest would be met with this much Venom. :dontknow:

Last edited:
:D Just got a call from the shipping company and the tanny will be delivered on monday. Everything has gone smoothly and I cant wait to put her back together.
Having build a few go fast vehicles and spent many $$$ on all of em I must say that so far Dusty has gone above and beyond many I have delt with in the past. All the parts and labor that was put into my tranny for what I paid is incredable. I dont think he made much at all on this job and I will definately put it to the test and let everyone know the results. I truely hope this is the answer to our problems. I know I havent met any of you guys yet but I have delt with a few and have nothing but great things to say about everyoe on here. You guys ROCK :D

bigike said:
Dusty I still like you :):):)

Sorry for the others that have acted a bit selfishly...............

Thanks for what you do and sorry for getting you into it. Didn't know a bit of info from a true 48re specialest would be met with this much Venom. :dontknow:

Ike I am really not in the mood for such a post, and it is clear it is towards me, but dont make accusations that are not true, nobody is acting selfish, and nobody is pointing venom.

I respect Dusty and his accomplishments, we just happen to just dissagree on a couple things , and neither one of us have been harsh to each other.

so dont come on here making up something that isnt there, i cant say it enough ,,I really do hope he can do what he says he is able to.

so dont push it, my tolerence level with the personal problems I am dealing with at the moment is very small, so leave it be, I do support dusty,and hope everything works out tops. Why do you think I have told the last 3 people that i want sell them a tranny and sent them to him

ps,

sorry EOD for the out burst, my apologies.

EDIT

I'm sorry Tony.

Maybe we can be cool again.

Some times I feel sorry that I dragged Dusty in here the way you've spoken to him. Maybe I've missunderstood, good luck with what ever you've got going.

(this is me taking the high road;))

Last edited:
Stinker said:
Ike I am really not in the mood for such a post, and it is clear it is towards me, but dont make accusations that are not true, nobody is acting selfish, and nobody is pointing venom.

I respect Dusty and his accomplishments, we just happen to just dissagree on a couple things , and neither one of us have been harsh to each other.

so dont come on here making up something that isnt there, i cant say it enough ,,I really do hope he can do what he says he is able to.

so dont push it, my tolerence level with the personal problems I am dealing with at the moment is very small, so leave it be, I do support dusty,and hope everything works out tops. Why do you think I have told the last 3 people that i want sell them a tranny and sent them to him

ps,

sorry EOD for the out burst, my apologies.

Stinker,

Don't take an offense to this post because I am trying to be unbiased here. You are extremely loyal to the members of this forum and do what ever you can to protect us from making bad choices with people who might not have our best interests in mind. I respect that and applaud that. But Dusty is trying to do the right thing and I believe he also has our best interests in mind. I have spoken to both of you and Dusty and neither one of you are BS artists. I understand you have you disagreements on certain points but between the two of you a good solution could be found.

My point here is that Dusty was willing to sell me $40 worth of parts to get my trans shifting better and told me it should do the job. I choose to spend $600 to get better parts based on his explanation as to why it would help. Not because he told me I needed it, but because what he was saying made sense. I am sure others had similar conversations with him and made choices on what to buy for their needs based on what I stated above. These autos in the SRT-10's are not right and need to be fixed. The fact that he found another trans missing an accumulator spring is evidence of that. It is supposed to be there.

A friend and good mechanic, who is cerftified on SRT's, found this same problem in my previous trans. The lack of the spring resulted in fried clutches and burnt steels that looked like someone took a blowtorch to them and a plastic accumulator that looked like someone hit it with a hammer.

Moral of the story. Dusty knows his shit and is trying to do the right thing, give him a chance...

I am sure others feel the same as I do but don't want to post up, so I am doing it for them. These trucks are amazing and that is what brings us all here. Let's make them the best they can be.

Last edited:
SlvrSnake said:
Stinker,

Don't take an offense to this post because I am trying to be unbiased here. You are extremely loyal to the members of this forum and do what ever you can to protect us from making bad choices with people who might not have our best interests in mind. I respect that and applaud that. But Dusty is trying to do the right thing and I believe he also has our best interests in mind. I have spoken to both of you and Dusty and neither one of you are BS artists. I understand you have you disagreements on certain points but between the two of you a good solution could be found.

My point here is that Dusty was willing to sell me $40 worth of parts to get my trans shifting better and told me it should do the job. I choose to spend $600 to get better parts based on his explanation as to why it would help. Not because he told me I needed it, but because what he was saying made sense. I am sure others had similar conversations with him and made choices on what to buy for their needs based on what I stated above. These autos in the SRT-10's are not right and need to be fixed. The fact that he found another trans missing an accumulator spring is evidence of that. It is supposed to be there.

A friend and good mechanic, who is cerftified on SRT's, found this same problem in my previous trans. The lack of the spring resulted in fried clutches and burnt steels that looked like someone took a blowtorch to them and a plastic accumulator that looked like someone hit it with a hammer.

Moral of the story. Dusty knows his shit and is trying to do the right thing, give him a chance...

I am sure others feel the same as I do but don't want to post up, so I am doing it for them. These trucks are amazing and that is what brings us all here. Let's make them the best they can be.
I totally agree bo, and sometimes my post dont relay what they should;) my way of wording sux at times, but I do have a ton of respect for Dusty, he is a heck of a tranny guy by far:rock:

Put the tranny in yesterday and 18 quarts of fluid with a double deep pan. Ouch that wasn't cheap. Due to the fact that is is snowing right now I haven't been able to test it out but it drives good. shifts into each gear strong and no issues so far. I cant wait for the weather to cooperate so I can put it to the test.

Keep us posted. I'm really curious how the tranny is gonna hold up. I know I will need one soon.

Now make it stop snowing drive it...............give FULL REPORT!

LOWER that turd and update your sig pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE
Today it was 35 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Rolled on the high way and put it to the floor. Every gear shift was solid even overdrive! The shift points are 5100-5200 rpms which works out well for me since I haven't upgraded my internals yet. Dusty told me that changing it later wouldn't be an issue. This is my daily driver and we will see what happens over time.
I can’t say enough about this guy, from the first phone call to today, Dusty is all about getting us what we need and I think he has done it. Customer satisfaction, shipping, quality of his product (the dam tranny looked brand new), he even called me late the night I was installing it and walked me through the TV cable adjustment. I haven't had any experience with any of the other transmission vendors that I have heard about on here but from what I have experienced with Dusty I think we have a solid solution for the auto, but only time will tell.
Now once its gets a little warmer out I will lower her and post up some pics of the final product

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back