48RE Upgrades from Dusty

SlvrSnake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my truck back today after having some goodies installed I purchased from Dusty at HTS. So far, I am thoroughly impressed. Have not stomped on it yet. The tech wants it to wear in a bit before I start to thrash it around. The shifts are solid, quick, and positive in all gears. No slop going from 2-3 shift, just a clean firm up shift. The only thing I noticed, when braking (normal stop), was it banging into first on the downshift, right around 20 mph. I adjusted the TV cable a bit and it improved so hopefully that is all it is. It is 26 degrees and dark so I am not up to farting around outside anymore.

These are pretty much the parts I bought and had put in:
ULTIMATE DUTY VALVE BODY, 4.2 LEVER, FRONT SERVO UPGRADE,
ACCUMULATOR PACKAGE (included springs and clips), H/D BAND STRUT
Used a new set of the stock clutches (No FI, that is why), along with a new governor solenoid and pressure sensor.

SlvrSnake said:
Got my truck back today after having some goodies installed I purchased from Dusty at HTS. So far, I am thoroughly impressed. Have not stomped on it yet. The tech wants it to wear in a bit before I start to thrash it around. The shifts are solid, quick, and positive in all gears. No slop going from 2-3 shift, just a clean firm up shift. The only thing I noticed, when braking (normal stop), was it banging into first on the downshift, right around 20 mph. I adjusted the TV cable a bit and it improved so hopefully that is all it is. It is 26 degrees and dark so I am not up to farting around outside anymore.

Used a new set of the stock clutches (No FI, that is why), along with a new governor solenoid and pressure sensor.
Sounds great keep us updated on the progress.:rock:

SlvrSnake said:

Keeping my fingers crossed, Dusty impressed me when I spoke with him.

Hope the trans issue may finally be solved.:congrats: :rock:

The downshift clunk as we have referred to it over the last few years from the 48re is totally normal and it will now hurt anything. It is simply the change chrysler made to the boost circuit of the 48re valve body. the 47re's did not do it. What they did was change the boost circuit and and frt clutch apply for use with the 5.0 ratio lever , which as you all know didn't work. What happens is, you raise the line pressure, in doing so you have to change line rise, or throttle valve pressure to compensate for shift points. The 48re keeps it's boost pressure all the way down where the 47 did not. It is not a 2-1 clunk it is a 3-2 downshift. It is normal with a lot of forward pressure and tends to get less once the transmission breaks in. It will not hurt anything, you can adjust it out with the tv cable for the most part, the more it does it, the more line rise you have. Good luck Chris, and call me wed and I'll tell you more.
dhawk

Put about a 100 or so miles on the trans so far and it is great. Parts are still settling in but what Dusty supplied is quality stuff and I feel it is going to more than do the job. Dusty is a good dude and cares about what he sells which is evidenced by him reaching out to me to make sure all is well. If you have a quad cab with an automatic and are concerned or have troubles with your transmission, please call this man. He can help you.

I am still on the stock tune right now and want to wait a little bit before I reflash it and remove the TM. It shifts fantastic, better than it ever did or ever would have with stock parts. The trans and valve body that were in my truck only had 4500 miles on it and the front clutches were already smoked because it was slipping, or sliding into gear. Now it is a nice clean positive shift. Very, very nice.:rock: :rock: :rock:

No problem. Let me know if you want more info or if I am leaving something out.

Sorry for not giving an update sooner. Trans is shifting fantastic with some minor adjustments that need to be done. Just got off the phone with Dusty. Great guy who is very concerned that what he has provided is right. Please, anybody with an automatic and having problems, please call him and listen to what he has to say. He will not steer you wrong. We are talking $500 to $1000, more or less to make these things shift like a banshee. Could be considerably less depending on what you are trying to do. If you don't fix it, it will break and now you are talking 3K plus to fix it.

I have to add a spring to the accumulator yet (it was missing on the stock trans) to firm up the shifts a bit more. (Waiting for the weather to break as I have to do this in my driveway) Also need to check the front band adjustment. The 1-2 feels a touch soft under light throttle compared to WOT. 2-3 and 3-4 are outstanding. I am running a tune from DC performance and the 1-2 is nasty under WOT, no delay on 2-3 and 3-4 slams into gear. With a stock tune you are not going to get shifts like this. PCM pulls timing and torque management is on. In my opinion, there strictly to protect the trans because Dodge knew it would not hold up behind a 500hp motor when you were beating on it (Just my opinion there)

Overall, I am extremely happy with the choice I made and feel confident in telling others to do the same.

Let me know if there is more you want to know.

Does Dusty have a complete trans assembly for sale and how much? Or a full cure rebuild kit for the do it yourselfer?

VIPR PWR said:
Does Dusty have a complete trans assembly for sale and how much? Or a full cure rebuild kit for the do it yourselfer?

Looks like he sells complete trans without TQ conveter for $2295. Rebuilds depend obviously on what you need. My situation was little different so he sent me the parts but he usually requests you ship the trans to him and he will rebuild it and send it back to you. So yes, if know what you need he will ship all of the parts to you so you can do it yourself.

SLvrSnake, where did you get all this done at? Dusty in NJ? Where are you in NJ??? I want to do this to mine, it is starting to slip!!!
Thanks Jeff

Jeff Kehoe said:
SLvrSnake, where did you get all this done at? Dusty in NJ? Where are you in NJ??? I want to do this to mine, it is starting to slip!!!
Thanks Jeff

I am in South Jersey. Dusty is in Michigan.

I still have warranty left and because of the issues I have been having the dealer installed the parts for me.

Last edited:
Dusty is in Michigan,for the parts I talked with Dusty and he is going to send me all the parts that I need and I will put them in or have them put in locally,he is a great guy to talk to and is more then wiling to explain to with what the tranny is doing and what he recomends to do to fix them.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back