A/C Won't Blow Hard.

WOT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fan is definitely on high, but the air does not blow out very hard. The flow control works fine -- i.e. it switches completely from the defrost vents to the front vents to the lower vents and everything in between.

And, it seals nicely and doesn't blur between multiple levels or anything like that.

However, the recirculation button doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe it's stuck between outside air and recirc and it is blocking the flow with the recirc door half open. It barely blows at all. The fan makes tons of sound (normal sound like it is on high), but nothing really comes out. Anyone else ever have this issue or have any ideas before I tear the dash apart?

Last edited:
Check this out...
http://www.heatertreater.net/Ram 02-08 Listing.html

WOT said:
My fan is definitely on high, but the air does not blow out very hard. The flow control works fine -- i.e. it switches completely from the defrost vents to the front vents to the lower vents and everything in between.

And, it seals nicely and doesn't blur between multiple levels or anything like that.

However, the recirculation button doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe it's stuck between outside air and recirc and it is blocking the flow with the recirc door half open. It barely blows at all. The fan makes tons of sound (normal sound like it is on high), but nothing really comes out. Anyone else ever have this issue or have any ideas before I tear the dash apart?

Thanks! Here is the text from that link you posted. It looks like it might be right on the money.

Recirc Door:
This door regulates between external air and internal air being pulled into the system. It works by blocking the external intake vent, forcing air to be pulled from the internal intake vent, OR blocking the internal intake vent, forcing air to be pulled from the outside. There is no in between. You can easily check the function by turning the fan on full blast and checking the air flow into the external vent between the hood and windshield. With re-circ off, you should feel a strong air flow into the vent and it should stop when re-circ is on. When the door fails, it hangs in the center and both the external vent and internal vents are open and air will flow into the external vent and out of the internal vent…like having a window rolled down all the time. If you feel air coming in under the passenger side dash, this is most likely the problem.

I watched the repair videos on that site. It is kind of depressing to see how poorly the HVAC system is designed on our trucks. It breaks easily and in almost impossible to fix. I might just have to turn this one in to the dealer and have it fixed under the extended warranty. I just hate the way those guys tear everything up when they work on my vehicles.

Very commom issue. I have had three '06 rams. They've all had the issue, except for the 10. :dontknow: Knocking on wood.

SANTEEN said:
Very commom issue. I have had three '06 rams. They've all had the issue, except for the 10. :dontknow: Knocking on wood.

Nope, mine was broke when I got the truck

walbert said:
Nope, mine was broke when I got the truck
I meant to say my 10. Yeah, I know the '06 10's have the same issue.

Took out the blower motor and whadda' ya' know, the recirculation door is broken. It fell down and was blocking the intake to the fan. The little coupling that goes to the actuator was down in the squirrel cage and causing the blower to vibrate badly. I pulled the door and the little broken peice out. Now I only have mixed flow of outside air and recirculated air.

The replacement part from Dodge is an entirely new upgraded assembly with the door, acutator, and part of the housing. It looks like you have to take the whole dash apart to get to it though and maybe even pull out the heater core and evaporator. This would be about a 6-8 hour job. Plus, the A/C would have to be recharged, etc. I wonder if my extended warranty would cover this instead of me having to do it? I'll have to look at the fine print. Then again, I'm not sure I want one of those mechanics tearing my dash apart. I bet they wouldn't put all of the screws back in.

WOT said:
Took out the blow motor and whadda' ya' know, the recirculation door is broken. It fell down and was blocking the intake to the fan. The little coupling that goes to the actuator was down in the squirrel cage and causing the blower to vibrate badly. I pulled the door and the little broken peice out. Now I only have mixed flow of outside air and recirculated air.

The replacement part from Dodge is an entirely new upgraded assembly with the door, acutator, and part of the housing. It looks like you have to take the whole dash apart to get to it though and maybe even pull out the heater core and evaporator. This would be about a 6-8 hour job. Plus, the A/C would have to be recharged, etc. I wonder if my extended warranty would cover this instead of me having to do it? I'll have to look at the fine print. Then again, I'm not sure I want one of those mechanics tearing my dash apart. I bet they wouldn't put all of the screws back in.

yep, they would never get it together correctly. You would then have rattles that you never had. I think the fix in the link above might be the best bet.

:mad: I don't know why they make something so complicated to service. I understand having to make design compromises for cost, etc, but if you're going to design it cheap, make it easy to service!!! :mad:

WOT said:
Took out the blower motor and whadda' ya' know, the recirculation door is broken. It fell down and was blocking the intake to the fan. The little coupling that goes to the actuator was down in the squirrel cage and causing the blower to vibrate badly. I pulled the door and the little broken peice out. Now I only have mixed flow of outside air and recirculated air.

HaroldD said:
:mad: I don't know why they make something so complicated to service. I understand having to make design compromises for cost, etc, but if you're going to design it cheap, make it easy to service!!! :mad:

I couldn't agree with you more. I keep finding little unpleasant surprises with these trucks. You'd think they would do a better job from the design stand point on some of these things.

I have had the same problem with my 06 2500:mad:. The local Dodge boys wanted 1500 bucks to fix it:( ! I just pulled the door (flapper) out and have not worried about it since!

WOT said:
I couldn't agree with you more. I keep finding little unpleasant surprises with these trucks. You'd think they would do a better job from the design stand point on some of these things.

I have the same problem you have. My srt-10 QC is not blowing hard. You can hear the fan blowing hard on high but you dont feel the air lowing hard at all. Where did you get you extended warranty from? How much did the dealer ship say it will cost to fix it?

ram_vs_cougar said:
I have the same problem you have. My srt-10 QC is not blowing hard. You can hear the fan blowing hard on high but you dont feel the air lowing hard at all. Where did you get you extended warranty from? How much did the dealer ship say it will cost to fix it?

Guy above your post said his dealer wanted $1500 to fix. Do what most here do and pull the motor (4 screws) and look up in there to see if it is the door. If it is broken, you have two choices. Just remove the door, or fix it.
Here is a link that explains alot.

http://heatertreater.net/Ram%2002-08%20Listing.html

For $120 you can fix it yourself. I used some epoxy and fixed my OEM door.

Pulling the dash is fairly easy even easier if you pull the front seats. Just saying in case you warranty doesn't cover it.

Last edited:
wesalbert said:
Guy above your post said his dealer wanted $1500 to fix. Do what most here do and pull the motor (4 screws) and look up in there to see if it is the door. If it is broken, you have two choices. Just remove the door, or fix it.
Here is a link that explains alot.

http://heatertreater.net/Ram%2002-08%20Listing.html

For $120 you can fix it yourself. I used some epoxy and fixed my OEM door.

Ok will read over the article and see what good info is in it... Ok if i remove the door completly will it start to blow more air inside the truck lilke it should or will it just continue to blow the same? and whats the $120 for epoxy and ???:dontknow: just curious because i'd rather fix it my self rather than spend 1500 dollars.

TNVIPER said:
This forum is a dangerous place to use the words "blow' and "hard" in the same sentence.....:itsme:

lol yeah some sick minds out there. LOL JK :burnout:

OSO said:
Pulling the dash is fairly easy even easier if you pull the front seats. Just saying in case you warranty doesn't cover it.

How long does it take if you take out the front seats bout 6 hrs?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back