Any old school 727 builders on here?

OSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is my question is, What determines the clearances needed in the front and rear clutch packs. I can see some correspondence to HP. I would assume that there is a formula for determining the clearances for different applications. I understand that a stock transmissions had there specs but those numbers vary greatly from year to year and power plant.

OSO said:
If there is my question is, What determines the clearances needed in the front and rear clutch packs. I can see some correspondence to HP. I would assume that there is a formula for determining the clearances for different applications. I understand that a stock transmissions had there specs but those numbers vary greatly from year to year and power plant.

This guy, 'Dusty' seems to be the trans guru at this time.

http://www.htstransmissions.com/

It depends on how many clutches are in each clutch pack. Hemi cars had an additional steel and fiber plate in their clutch drum. Aftermarket drums normally have the additional plates in them. Normally it is about .013 to .015 clearance per fiber clutch plate, in other words if you had the 4 plate drum it would be .050 to .060 clearance. If it is for the street,stay on the tight side if it is for drag racing stay on the loose side.

Last edited:
Talk to Dusty at hts transmission, James this guy is the real deal. Great guy and HONEST!

I highly recommend him, just do a search on the net. The diesel guys can't stop singing his praises.

you can also call turbo action in jville,fl they will give you all the tricks

mopower1958 said:
It depends on how many clutches are in each clutch pack. Hemi cars had an additional steel and fiber plate in their clutch drum. Aftermarket drums normally have the additional plates in them. Normally it is about .013 to .015 clearance per fiber clutch plate, in other words if you had the 4 plate drum it would be .050 to .060 clearance. If it is for the street,stay on the tight side if it is for drag racing stay on the loose side.

What characteristic of the transmission change with the increase or decrease of clearances ?
Just for the record im running 5 up front four in the rear.

Thanks everyone for the lead to dusty i thought i had bugged every trans shop for info already looks like i need to make another phone call:D

clearance

hello, dhawk here.
rear clutch factory says .025-.045 I would stay between .025-.032. This will keep the belleville spring from bending too far when applied. This is especially true if it has the .072 thick belleville.
frt clutch factory says throw across the room and it should be ok. kidding. the factory has had a lot of different specs depending on year, engine, application. here is what they mean
line pressure
number of discs
number of return springs
frt servo spring
frt lever ratio
the frt clutch clearance is the most important, this is why the 48re eats itself.
the frt clutch clearance however, is just one aspect of this 2-3 shift timing. I can't give anybody a true accurate spec until I know the other factors.

I hope this ramble helped
dhawk

dhawk said:
hello, dhawk here.
rear clutch factory says .025-.045 I would stay between .025-.032. This will keep the belleville spring from bending too far when applied. This is especially true if it has the .072 thick belleville.
frt clutch factory says throw across the room and it should be ok. kidding. the factory has had a lot of different specs depending on year, engine, application. here is what they mean
line pressure
number of discs
number of return springs
frt servo spring
frt lever ratio
the frt clutch clearance is the most important, this is why the 48re eats itself.
the frt clutch clearance however, is just one aspect of this 2-3 shift timing. I can't give anybody a true accurate spec until I know the other factors.

I hope this ramble helped
dhawk
Things i just ordered today 15 spring set for the front drum to replace the nine spring set. (2.77) 4 pinon low gear set with bearings instead thrust washer to replace the (2.45) 3 pinon stock first gear. Rear three pinon planetary with bearing, Front and rear billet servos and spring sets. New 4.2 lever, harden band strut, snap rings to adjust for clearance issue, lighter parking gear with billet spacer to replace governor housing,

I now believe my clearance issues are less concerning:afraid: Its official i have now spent more money on the parts for this rebuild then i did buying the trans complete from tci.:bawling:

Last edited:
ya found a converter for her?????

ZCx said:
ya found a converter for her?????
Had my old one cut open cleaned and checked. This will be the third 727 to go in it. I have put less than 2000 miles on the motor because i cant keep a trans in it.

Just put in a 6 speed !! clutches are easier to replace and the fun factor is alot higher!!!:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :D

third time the charm:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

i'm excited about LFC already:congrats: :burnout: :congrats: :burnout:

Hucksrt10 said:
Just put in a 6 speed !! clutches are easier to replace and the fun factor is alot higher!!!:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :D
Well i was thinking with me doing the rebuild it would cost me under 500 for every thing but i found more after market parts for the 727 and i blew my budget all to hell again.:D If it fails again i most likely will put the truck back to stock :dontknow:

ZCx said:
third time the charm:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

i'm excited about LFC already:congrats: :burnout: :congrats: :burnout:

With out a doubt, last year was the first time i could hit the turns fast enough that it would pull me up the bank. Should be better this time.

OSO said:
Had my old one cut open cleaned and checked. This will be the third 727 to go in it. I have put less than 2000 miles on the motor because i cant keep a trans in it.

Hey maybe in some twilight universe where transmission rule there world. Our transmissions were cousins...................:)

bigike said:
Hey maybe in some twilight universe where transmission rule there world. Our transmissions were cousins...................:)
Well i am pretty sure that 727 has been ruling my world for about 7 months now:(

if you need them cases back let me know i have them sitting in my office.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back