Anybody Clean Their Engine?

greatone61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Buenos Saturday To All My Homies,

Anyone wash their engine? What did you use and any special procedures?

I did when I first got it home. Just used soap and water then dried off with towels and high pressure air. Once you have it looking good just wiping it down every couple washes keeps it up.

greatone61 said:
A Buenos Saturday To All My Homies,

Anyone wash their engine? What did you use and any special procedures?

Okay, I'm an anal SOB, so here is what I do when I wash my truck.

I use two wash buckets and three wash mits. I have one bucket and mit for the main part of the truck down to the body cladding. The second bucket and mit is for the body cladding area because it tends to pick up more crap. I should also mention that I first wash the body cladding and then the entire truck with bucket and mit #1.

I then use bucket number 2 and wash mit 3 to wash the wheels. After that is all done, I open the hood and wash the engine compartment down.

It's usually about a 6 pack or so job.:eek: :D

I use two sponges - one for the wheels and cladding, and the other for everything above the cladding. Of course I rinse them out frequently.

As for the engine compartment, I usually just wipe the valve covers and fuel lines off occasionally with a rag. Sometimes I'll take a damp towel and wipe down things under the hood too.

My truck's got 7,300 miles, and I don't really drive it in bad weather either, so it doesn't get too dirty under the hood.:)

I simply use Gunk Engine Cleaner. I apply plastic to electrical components and make sure no water gets into the intake (That part should be sealed off already). I just spray on and use a toothbrush to agitate any spots of dirty build-up. I then rinse with a hose then run the motor for about 10 minutes to help dry any left over moisture. Then, after every other wash I just maintain it with a wipe down. I only had to clean the engine like that once tho. I don't know when I'll have to do it again.

Well if the engine is dirty take some wd-40 and spray the entire engine down, let i sit for a little bit, bout a beer or two, then wash it down with just sopa an water, and then dry. nice and clean , also works on wheel wells an frame.

Venom Power said:
Simple Green biodegradable stuff huh? Trying to maintain a greener earth today?

Trying to fit in! LOL! My town is full of foofoo people, you know the ones that eat grass all day because everything else has some kind of issue that prevents them from supporting and eating it....

be careful with any kind of detergent based liquid around rotating parts such as pulleys, alternators, etc. things of this sort. Like simple green and others they will make thier way into the bearings and dry them out. so be careful and use in moderation....:)

greatone61 said:
Can I use Simple Green? I gotta clean off all the radiator fluid that leaked all over.

YESSSS!! sImple green works great. feel free to spray it anywhere. this
is what i use at work to clean engines. if you have an electric pressure washer that would work great. just when you start hosn down try to keep from soakin any connectors. there kind of water tight but still.

OCBob said:
No I don't, right Juan? LOL.
That's right Bob, you need to be taking good notes or bookmark this thread :D.

I second the notion of using Gunk Engine Cleaner, but when I'm done I apply CD2 Engine detailer to make it nice and sparkly. Leaves all rubber looking beautiful as well. I find that stuff at Autozone.

Stinker said:
Well if the engine is dirty take some wd-40 and spray the entire engine down, let i sit for a little bit, bout a beer or two, then wash it down with just sopa an water, and then dry. nice and clean , also works on wheel wells an frame.

Do you wash the beer down with Soap and Water.:confused: :dontknow: :D

I use Mequires Speed Detailer on anything metal (valve covers, etc..), and then for the plastic parts, I use black magic tire wet.... I know it sounds funny, but it gives you a gorgeous deep finish without looking all cheesy and shiny like Armorall.

I use diluted simple green and spray it off and spray the plastic parts with Wizard Vynil shine and walk away and finish the rest of the vehicle then I wipe the valve covers and the rest of under the hood with towels. The plastic looks brand new when I'm done and the valve covers are clean enough to eat off of...

Thanks amigos!, I was going to clean it today, but it decided to rain outside, one day its a friggin heat wave here, and then it rains. Whatever happend to a c ool sunny day!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back