Are we not supposed to run these trucks?

CarolinaSRT10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

5600 miles and my truck is at the dealership for what seems to be a collapsed lifter or possibly a broken valve spring. But who knows...it sounds deeper in the motor than that to me.
I don't think I abuse my truck. I've been putting about 150 miles a day on it recently for work. The only thing I do is 1-2 wot up through the gears a day up to about 60-65 mph. Is that too much? I figured these motors were built for a lot more punishment than that.
The tech at the dealership said the only time he has seen that problem is when the engine has been over revved. How do you do that? I have had it to the rev limiter in first gear, but as soon as it hit the limiter, I backed off. It hit around 5800 rpm's I think. It never got to the red line on the tach.
Anyway, I was just wanting to vent and see what you guys thought about a engine with only 5600 miles giving me this problem. Almost makes me want to make them put in a whole new engine. I want to be able to floor this thing when I want to and not have to worry about blowing something up.
Thanks,
Lee

shouldnt hurt it, ive run mine a lot harder and havent had problems yet.

just toped 6500 miles on mine and race it about 1 a day. would go to the track every day but they only open for fun days twice a month, and thats just not enough. no problems with my truck yet

Your viper tech is not very supportive. Find another. They should be your advocate. You are in the Carolina's find Bam Bam...maybe one of the best Viper tech's around...he helped Roe Racing develop the Viper Slave/Master cylinder solution for our trucks...

Anyone know where Bam Bam is these days????

You should hit the rev limiter before any damage is done. The flash actually raises the limiter. So a stock QC should not have these problems. Any mods? Who does your oil changes?

FlyingLow,
Yeah, you would think the rev limiter would be there for a reason. The dealer did the first oil change. What a fiasco that was. I almost had to fight with the guy to get him to put 10 quarts in. He said it holds 8.5 when I was showing him in the book it says 10. It's not going back to that dealer again.
I'll keep you guys posted as to what happened. And I will be doing the subsequent oil changes.
By the way, the oil level was good when this happened.
I'm pissed, and I miss my baby...

CarolinaSRT10 said:
FlyingLow,
Yeah, you would think the rev limiter would be there for a reason. The dealer did the first oil change. What a fiasco that was. I almost had to fight with the guy to get him to put 10 quarts in. He said it holds 8.5 when I was showing him in the book it says 10. It's not going back to that dealer again.
I'll keep you guys posted as to what happened. And I will be doing the subsequent oil changes.
By the way, the oil level was good when this happened.
I'm pissed, and I miss my baby...

Carolina....Sorry man, he is correct w/ 8.5, the manual is incorrect. Im not sure why you are having issues, some do and some dont...just the name of the game. Heck, nowwhat had to throw 250 shot on top of a supercharged truck just to get his to go...luck of the draw

-Red

Red,

8.5 quarts did not come up on the dipstick enough. 10 quarts brought it up to full. I think it's a 2006 thing, but I don't know.

I have almost 15k on mine and at times I've run mine a bit to hard. Motor is running great.

Good luck, and I agree with the others, you need a good Viper Tech

Take it one step further...you need a good Viper/Tuner, even if he's outside your area.

Quick

CarolinaSRT10 said:
Red,

8.5 quarts did not come up on the dipstick enough. 10 quarts brought it up to full. I think it's a 2006 thing, but I don't know.

Oh, didnt know you had an 06..not in your sig :dontknow:

Not sure if its 8.5 or 10 in 06..sorry man

Red,
Don't be sorry. I appreciate all the responses, and I love learning about these trucks. The group of guys here are great! Glad I'm here...wish my truck was.

Guess I need to make a signature!

I run the piss out of my truck all the time and havent experienced any failures to date (knocking on wood).

Try going to the Hendrick 5 Star Dealer in Cary, the Viper Tech there has been pretty good to me ;)

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THAT CAROLINASRT10
THE FIRST 500 MILES I DRIVED MY TRUCK NO FASTER THAT 90 AND JUST FLOORED TWICE... AFTER THE 500 MILES I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT AND FOR THE COUPLE LAST MONTHS I'M BEING GOING TO THE TRACK TWICE A WEEK..
NO PROBLEMS W MY TRUCK...... YET:rock:

AND ABOUT THE OIL THING
I PUT 7 Q. AND 1 BOTTLE OF LUCAS AND NOTICE THAT IT WAS NOT EVEN REACHING THE DIPSTICK ENOUGH... SO I PUT 1 MORE Q. AND ANOTHER BOTTLE OF LUCAS AND IT CAME UP PERFECTAND:rock:

I just did my first oil change in my 05 and it took 8.5 quarts. But right after I poured the last one in and checked the dipstick it didn't even read. I waited about 5 min or so and the oil level went up the halfway mark. Then eventually it registered full.

DJCHEROKEE said:
AND ABOUT THE OIL THING
I PUT 7 Q. AND 1 BOTTLE OF LUCAS AND NOTICE THAT IT WAS NOT EVEN REACHING THE DIPSTICK ENOUGH... SO I PUT 1 MORE Q. AND ANOTHER BOTTLE OF LUCAS AND IT CAME UP PERFECTAND:rock:

DUMB QUESTION: WHAT IS LUCAS? :dontknow:

It is an oil additive. I have never used it but it looks pretty neat. I seen a display of gears with regular oil and oil with lucas. The regular oil just kinda worked its way up the gears and soon as u stopped the gears the oil went down while on the lucas it seems to stick the gears better providing more protection on start up. But I could be wrong. I am not to familar with the product so if someone knows more than what i said then say so.

I would not tell the tech that I added any oil additive to the oil. Just gives him more ammo to void your warranty and that sounds like the direction he is headed based on what he told you before. I know that the oil capacity on the 04-05 models is 8.5 qts I would assume that the 06 are the same since they have the same drivetrain.... no?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back