Audiofiles...A little advice please...

Prof

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spouse added some new speakers to our media center this Christmas...

Issue: One of the speakers is a center front speaker for a surround sound system...

My amp is really, really, really old...(but incredible: Sansui 5000A...never been serviced, just works and works and works...probably 35 years old...and no I will not sell it...)

Any ideas on how to add the center speaker? Surround sound was not even a wet dream when this amp was built.

Maybe I should not add the center speaker?

Prof said:
Spouse added some new speakers to our media center this Christmas...

Issue: One of the speakers is a center front speaker for a surround sound system...

My amp is really, really, really old...(but incredible: Sansui 5000A...never been serviced, just works and works and works...probably 35 years old...and no I will not sell it...)

Any ideas on how to add the center speaker? Surround sound was not even a wet dream when this amp was built.

Maybe I should not add the center speaker?

Dammmm, I would love to help, but I'm still living in the rabbit ears and built in side speakers world :dontknow: :p :D

Good luck, and sounds like a very nice addition :congrats:

The center and rear speakers are really only for Dolby 5.1 or higher surround sound systems. The sound track is deciphered by the SS unit and sound is sent to the proper speaker to imitate what the director envisioned. Adding a center channel to a dedicated left/right stereo system probably won't get you anything.

Your system is probably great for listening to music but if your listening to movies through it you really need to experience the surround sound system. The 5.1 represents the 5 surround sound speakers plus a subwoofer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound

Last edited:
Got the five speakers and a huge sub...but they are all going thru the Sansui...I will probably have to upgrade my amp...technology has passed me by...

Good tech input...that does help a lot!

Last edited:
SilvrSRT10 said:
The center and rear speakers are really only for Dolby 5.1 or higher surround sound systems. The sound track is deciphered by the SS unit and sound is sent to the proper speaker to imitate what the director envisioned. Adding a center channel to a dedicated left/right stereo system probably won't get you anything.

Your system is probably great for listening to music but if your listening to movies through it you really need to experience the surround sound system. The 5.1 represents the 5 surround sound speakers plus a subwoofer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound

I dont know about that, I just wired all my speakers to left and rights and shut off my center and wholly crap, I feel like im in the theater. Never liked the center cause most of the main noise is outta that and with all my back round speakers just being for the back round drove me crazy!

but then again not many people have 6 per side back round set ups now its 3 fronts 3 rears per side lolol and yes im becoming deaf

GotRidOfTheHemiForThis said:
I dont know about that, I just wired all my speakers to left and rights and shut off my center and wholly crap, I feel like im in the theater. Never liked the center cause most of the main noise is outta that and with all my back round speakers just being for the back round drove me crazy!

but then again not many people have 6 per side back round set ups now its 3 fronts 3 rears per side lolol and yes im becoming deaf
I'm not saying you can't enjoy a movie with just a left/right stereo system, it's just your not getting the full effect. If your watching a movie where someone throws something and it goes whizzing by your right ear, you hear it coming toward you and going behind you with a surround sound system. Or when that Raptor is sneaking up from behind you, you hear him coming before you can see him. The surround sound system gives you more of a theater experience.

OK...lets move to the subject of a good all purpose amp for the system...any recommendations?

SilvrSRT10 said:
I'm not saying you can't enjoy a movie with just a left/right stereo system, it's just your not getting the full effect. If your watching a movie where someone throws something and it goes whizzing by your right ear, you hear it coming toward you and going behind you with a surround sound system. Or when that Raptor is sneaking up from behind you, you hear him coming before you can see him. The surround sound system gives you more of a theater experience.

oh im not disagreeing, just with the center channel, everything sounded quiet to me. So I did the next best thing blow my neighbors away with using 2 channel and a lot of speakers lololol

Nice! I love old stuff :rock:

Prof said:
OK...lets move to the subject of a good all purpose amp for the system...any recommendations?
That's a whole other can of worms. Depends on if you want to go component (separate decoder and amps for each channel) or all in one (easiest to set up). I've got a Sony DB1070 series all in one. Yamaha makes good stuff. You could contact your local home theater company to see what they recommend. The newer home theater units come with a remote control so you can adjust the volume and sound setting without getting up. You can even tailor the volume independently to each speaker for odd speaker placement. Digital sound (DSP) allows you to select what type of environment you want to recreate (church, stadium, auditorium, dance hall etc,)

Last edited:
Wholly Crap! Um unless your spicing wires you ain't gonna get that center to work with sound period. You see as was mentioned earlier roy, that unit is not set up to break the different sounds apart. The newer ones have a backround, front and then center channel that actually takes what your watching and breaks it into those categories. That unit just wont do it for ya. The only option would be to splice it into the 2way that you already have but then it would be like you had the center channel as either a left or a right to complete the sound but only one side? Make sense?? Unless there's someone here that knows something I have never heard i'm about 99% on this information.

heres a simple example:
olspage.jsp

Last edited:
SilvrSRT10 said:
That's a whole other can of worms. Depends on if you want to go component (separate decoder and amps for each channel) or all in one (easiest to set up). I've got a Sony DB1070 series all in one. Yamaha makes good stuff. You could contact your local home theater company to see what they recommend. The newer home theater units come with a remote control so you can adjust the volume and sound setting without getting up. You can even tailor the volume independently to each speaker for odd speaker placement. Digital sound (DSP) allows you to select what type of environment you want to recreate (church, stadium, auditorium, dance hall etc,)

Go with the all in one unit. Roy you are replacing a 35 year old unit that did a lot for you, you don't need the head ache of separate decoder and amps, plus my hearing is getting shaking in my 40s yours must be a little worse :dontknow:

You might want to replace the TEAC A-2300 reel to reel at the same time... I'd skip the cassettes and go straight to recordable CD :D

-jeff

OMG Prof, just wait until Timmy sees how you spelled audiophiles.:D :D
Now that I have corrected you Thank You Very Much for the Shirt order.

jelms said:
Go with the all in one unit. Roy you are replacing a 35 year old unit that did a lot for you, you don't need the head ache of separate decoder and amps, plus my hearing is getting shaking in my 40s yours must be a little worse :dontknow:

You might want to replace the TEAC A-2300 reel to reel at the same time... I'd skip the cassettes and go straight to recordable CD :D

-jeff

Bwahahaha, next you'll be comparing prostates and packages :p :dontknow: :D :p

Wifey said:
Bwahahaha, next you'll be comparing prostates and packages :p :dontknow: :D :p

Nah, I have a good home theater setup and I try to stay away from talking to Roy about packages, prostates, donuts, and potatoes...

helms.

jelms said:

-jeff

Looking around the web last night I think that the all-in-one unit is the way to go.

Teac and Akai!

Trips across the pond in the 60's and early 70's sometimes included stops in Japan for a few hours...time enough to purchase audio equipment.

My son has all the reel to reel equipment...I still have probably 200 reels of music copied from the tapes passed around...keep thinking that I should digitize all of that material...but it would be a huge task...and much of it might be lost due to tape deterioration by now.

jelms said:
Nah, I have a good home theater setup and I try to stay away from talking to Roy about packages, prostates, donuts, and potatoes...

helms.

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

My hearing is getting so bad that I couldn't read your post!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back