CAI Dyno Sheet

chase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Dyno sheet showing a loss of hp with a CAI?

chase said:
Does anyone have a Dyno sheet showing a loss of hp with a CAI?

I do (somewhere)
It was an 8 h.p. drop and 11ft. lbs. of torque loss with the K&N. I couldn't get that thing off fast enough.

Thanks...if you could post it so I can look at it that would rock.

rottenronnie said:
I do (somewhere)
It was an 8 h.p. drop and 11ft. lbs. of torque loss with the K&N. I couldn't get that thing off fast enough.

I assume that was with the entire K&N FIPK unit and not just the simple drop-in filter??? :dontknow:

BDR SRT-10 said:
I assume that was with the entire K&N FIPK unit and not just the simple drop-in filter??? :dontknow:

naturally.

BDR SRT-10 said:

Yes, the entire c.a.i. kit from K&N. I drove around for a few days, dynoed, took it off and dynoed again. Power dropped as indicated 8 HP and 11 TQ.

S.O.T.P. dyno said the K&N drop in worked better.

I guess if you like the sound (I didn't), buy the complete K&N. But the power decrease for $500.00...that wasn't really what I had in mind.:(

Do you have that on a dyno sheet you can post.

chase said:
??? dont see it...can u not find it?

When i have some free time (in short supply right now) I will look for it.
This topic came up a couple of years ago and I had the dyno sheet then.
It was on a Dynojet dyno and was as accurate a test as we could make it.

Deibs said:
Lol,, he said "I do (somewhere)"

I'd imagine it's at a Timmies drive-thru :D :D

I am there right now (no shit). Can I get you anything?

Hey, the u.s. dollar is down, let's buy stuff!! Strikers perhaps??!!

rottenronnie said:
I am there right now (no shit). Can I get you anything?

Hey, the u.s. dollar is down, let's buy stuff!! Strikers perhaps??!!

I yi yi,,, is it ever! Time to ship our trucks to Cali and then fly down and drive them back.. ;) :D :rock:

Guys,

Don't forget that the computers don't adjust for lean/rich conditions at full throttle. It's pre-programmed into the Flash ROM. If you improve the breathing (or exhaling), you will lose power until you reflash with the correct fuel map, then you will increase power. That's how muffler manufacturers claim to make more horsepower than open pipes. They don't correct the fuel mixture. Crafty marketing! ;)

I own a dyno shop and we get this kind of thing all the time. It appears that you are quoting an increase or a decrease in “peakâ€￾ power. That really doesn’t tell you if there is a usable performance increase/decrease or not. A CAI may or may not help performance in a particular rpm range. In other words, you could lose a few peak horsepower and still have improved performance. You have to look at the entire power curve. Where exactly are the increases and decreases? What are you using the vehicle for? What is the optimum rpm range for that usage, i.e. 1/4 mile drag racing, 1/8 mile drag racing, road racing, top speed, street cruisin’, etc. Is there more power in that particular range? That’s where you need to focus your attention. Also, does power come on earlier and/or stay on later? For example, if torque comes on stronger at an earlier rpm, flattening out along the entire rpm range it could indicate more usable power and increased performance even though it may not peak quite as high overall.

Measuring the actual affect of a CAI on a stationary vehicle is difficult at best. Also, CAI intakes may or may not show any measurable increase in power but they may help you more consistantly maintain power on a warmer day than the stock intake or they might increase the intake volume of air when actually moving down the road. There may even not be much increase on a stock or near stock engine because the engine might not be set up to do anything with the increased flow. A CAI will do little good if the air is bottlenecking somewhere else in the system such as the valves or the exhaust manifolds. The benefits might be felt later as more modifications are added and the engine can actually use the extra air.

There are so many variables that you can’t just make a blanket statement that says it lost X amount of horsepower on a dyno so, therefore, the performance is down. Still the best way to measure the benefits of a CAI is to run it at the track over a long period of time keeping detailed logs of ets, temps and track conditions.

My QC ran consistant 13.7-13.8 1/4 miles stock and so far a best of 14.3 with the K&N FIPK kit. I have not removed it yet in hopes that with the addition of a programmer I can improve the results.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back