chrome dipping the stock wheels...

lightningeater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck came with the brushed wheels (not sure if chrome was an option). does anyone know of a good place to get them chrome dipped or any reason why its not a good idea?

thanks

Buy em on ebay and then sell your factory rims to cover the cost of the chrome ones. The chrome ones are actually cheaper and can be had in sizes other than just 22" if you so desire. Then, either keep the originals for when you sell the truck, or sell them on ebay to make up for the cost of the chrome ones. Chroming polished wheels would likely cost you more than buying ones brand new that were already done because the finish needs so much prep and sanding and buffing before they can be dipped, it is very labor intensive. On the flip side, the ones that are going to be chromed from the start are cnc'ed to a mirror finish at birth, then dipping is done with nearly no prep labor. That's why chroming yours would cost more than buying new ones.

Greg

The wheels were available brushed or polished. Can't help you with if they can be chromed or not. Steve Austin was selling a chrome set a while ago. You could check with him to see if he still has some. Don't know if it would be cheaper to have yours dipped or just buy a new chrome set.:dontknow:

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5329

Last edited:
If you do not cvare about knock offs then the sets on EBay are the way to go. ABout $1150 shipped for the stock size. Then as other said turn around and sell your stock rims. Lots of Ram owners looking for SRT rims. That is my plan.

I am from TOledo and all the local platers will not plate rims, just powder coat. There are a few sites on the net that will plate them, but by the time you ship and get them back it would be $200 a wheel or so.

94rt10ohio said:
There are a few sites on the net that will plate them, but by the time you ship and get them back it would be $200 a wheel or so.

Shoot, shipping to and fro will likely run you $100 a wheel. Then plating is probably about $400 a wheel. That's what it runs around here. Too many people with money, too few plating companies I guess.

Greg

I got the knock offs and later gave them to a friend. They looked good but I just wanted something more unique. My advice and opinion is to do something different if you're going to front the money anyway. Simply put, you can do a little different (chrome) or a lot different for about the same $

Guys - the knockoffs are cast - stockers forged. HUGE difference. I had forged wheels before they were ripped off....SHHIIAATTTT

womsterr said:
Guys - the knockoffs are cast - stockers forged. HUGE difference. I had forged wheels before they were ripped off....SHHIIAATTTT

Since many have seen this said, and take it to heart without someone actaully explaining it....

http://www.esi-group.com/SimulationSoftware/Die_Casting_Solution/Services_support/Etips/eTip16.pdf

Bottom line for us is weight gain with the cast. I have not see a stock SRT-10 break a wheel because it was cast so strength should not be an issue. But since we all like accelleration the weight should be considered when making a change.

Does anyone know the exact weight of our wheel (minus tire)? Then people interested in aftermarket can then get the weight of the wheel they are interested in and make a "educated" decision.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back