COMPUTER GUYS! Need some help with my IE connection...

Wouldn't hurt if you can get on the router and clear the arp cache either. If it is working on one machine and not the other this could be the issue. Tell me what kind of router it is and I'll see if I can't walk you through that.

Let me know how it goes.
Have him try uninstalling IE 7 if he has it then the system will auto rever to using 6.0
This should allow him to get to the internet.
Once this happens I can remote into his machine and take a look.

That used to happen a lot to my work PC. IT folks would come and reconfigure the "proxy" settings and I'd be right back online.

Make sure the proxy settings arent wacked
below is how it should be

Attachments

• Uncheck.jpg
    Uncheck.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 45
Well, I'm back on the ol work desktop. After spending nearly 2 hours on the phone with Scott, he has narrowed it down to Internet Explorer. Vista will not allow me to uninstall IE7. So tomorrow I will try getting FireFox from home. If not I will wipe it out and start over.

And Scott, thanks a lot for your help.

Wow! No joy!

I think we narrowed it down to a problem with IE7. Unfortunately, he is running Vista, and you cannot uninstall IE7 on Vista. The reset option doesn't work completely, so it's hard to say exactly what the problem is.

Without a way to connect to the internet, we can't download Firefox as a troubleshooting tool either. However, he CAN ping yahoo.com and download and install updates, so I know that he is getting a valid IP and connection to the internet. But, when he tries to open a page in IE it just sits there, and does nothing.

We tried disabling the firewall, McAfee Security center, and Spy Sweeper, and uninstalling Google Desktop, none of that made a difference either.

I suggested that he take the laptop home, download Firefox on his home computer and transfer and install it on the laptop, and try again. Hopefully that will help.

Other than re-imaging the machine back to factory, (ALWAYS a last resort for me) I am out of ideas....

Sorry I couldn't be of more help Travis....

Once again, Scott, for you to spend two hours of your day to help me, that says a lot about your character. What a great guy! Thanks again!

I just thought of something that we didn't try. You can give it a shot, not sure if it will work or not, but you can try restoring to a point from before the last time it worked correctly.

Like you said that it was working ok the last time you used it, try restoring to a point just a few days ago, if there is a restore point.

It's worth a shot anyway, IMO.

Get firefox working. Download it from another computer onto a flash drive then install it on the broken machine. Once you have it working I can remote control into your machine and check it out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back