Do we use the same clutch as the viper?

4to10cyl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but it looks like it considering the spec part number for the viper and the ram with the 8.3 motor is the same. Just wondering because it would open up some more opportunities for cluches. For towing purposes I'd want to use just about the highest torque rated one right? I'm really thinking about a Stage IV Spec Clutch rated at 950 ft/lbs of torque. What do you guys think?? What are the centerforce cluches rated for?

http://www.lmperformance.com/4966/63.html

I think that they are the same i'm pretty sure that they will work in the truck. But i've heard some bad things about spec clutch's

Tooloe said:
I think that they are the same i'm pretty sure that they will work in the truck. But i've heard some bad things about spec clutch's

Yeah, after some seaches seems that they are the same.

I'm just trying to weight out my options. I'm planning on towing and using a 125 shot. Obviously not at the same time. But I want something that will last at least 40,000 miles doing these. I won't spray to often, but will be towing up to 6,000 lbs a couple times a month.

IMHO, take $5k, buy an old 01 Ram 2500 with a gasser, and use it for your towing/parts/runaround truck.....the V10 or 5.9 should be plenty, be cheap, reliable, and easy to work on......would not pull 6000 pounds twice a month with a single cab 10, but that is just me....

Big Perm said:
IMHO, take $5k, buy an old 01 Ram 2500 with a gasser, and use it for your towing/parts/runaround truck.....the V10 or 5.9 should be plenty, be cheap, reliable, and easy to work on......would not pull 6000 pounds twice a month with a single cab 10, but that is just me....

I'm only 19, I'm already living beyond my means :D

4to10cyl said:
I'm only 19, I'm already living beyond my means :D

LOL.....to make that comment at 19, you are wise beyond your years...:D

If ya don't mind, what will you be pulling and at what distance? With the high gearing, I'm worried that frequent towing might lead to issues over time....

4to10cyl said:
I'm not sure but it looks like it considering the spec part number for the viper and the ram with the 8.3 motor is the same. Just wondering because it would open up some more opportunities for cluches. For towing purposes I'd want to use just about the highest torque rated one right? I'm really thinking about a Stage IV Spec Clutch rated at 950 ft/lbs of torque. What do you guys think?? What are the centerforce cluches rated for?

http://www.lmperformance.com/4966/63.html
Thats what I am goin with this winter either the III or IV.

Big Perm said:

If ya don't mind, what will you be pulling and at what distance? With the high gearing, I'm worried that frequent towing might lead to issues over time....
Also agree with him just because it can does that mean it can take it not all the time. If its just once in a while then thats fine but otherwise worry abou your trans and rear end, torque for racing and pulling torque are two differnt animals even though our trucks can don't not for everyday.

Big Perm said:

I will be towing a horse trailer that weighs in at around 2800 lbs. Then for each additional horse add another 1,000 lbs. We just got it last weekend. And I know that the trans and rear won't hold forever towing, probably not the motor either, but I will be extremely careful when towing. If I can make it last a couple years I will be financially ready to build both of these up and probably rebuild the motor. Or I may get a new SRT-10 and a Diesel. Guess we'll see.

Here's some pics:

BisonTrailer3.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

My estimate is a couple times a month taking the horses to trails around the area (<30 miles away) and at least once a month going somewhere to deliver or pick up a horse that is between 100-150 miles away. I think getting out on the highway will be fine though.

In terms of real life examples, here is what I have....

Have seen a number of posts here on towing with RC's......people pulling car trailers and an auto, about 5k pounds....they say you have to be smart, but you can do it without issue....

I NEVER towed with my RC and never would have.....short wheelbase, 1st gear ratio, and car tranny/clutch all offer concerns to me personally....

Now, my QC was totally different.....in my sig, you see my jeep and trailer, which I towed without ANY concerns.....the 48RE is a sound tranny for towing....granted, I will say that the springs were much softer than I like for towing, which again would concern me on the RC......the jeep and trailer were about 6k pounds loaded....

Again, it's only my opinion.....for short, 30 mile trips with mostly highway, just be smart and u will be fine.......on the long trips, borrow somebody's diesel and forgettaboutit.....my two cents...

Big Perm said:
Now, my QC was totally different.....I will say that the springs were much softer than I like for towing, which again would concern me on the RC......
actually, the RC springs are more heavy duty than the QC springs..... personally, i wouldn't tow anything with a short wheel base truck - especially a trailer that's longer/heavier than the truck i'm towing it with...... ;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back