Fully Encased Spark Plugs-RUST

Never heard of the Bug Juice thing before! Learn sumthin every day.... :dontknow: :eek:

Naval Jelly will work... and it should "stick" good enough to the material to work on it.

bigike said:
Bug Juice! Hey wants to free it up not shine it! ;)

PBblaster

If you know that you must be or was a Squid.... :)

It will take off the rust and then take it down to the metal, then shine it as well.... :)

I wouldn't even bother. Pull the heads and if you really want to try and salvage drop off at a machine shop and see what they can do...besides laugh at you. New heads are cheap. As for bug juice...just about spit my water out reading that. That stuff is like simply green.

Chuck B said:
I wouldn't even bother. Pull the heads and if you really want to try and salvage drop off at a machine shop and see what they can do...besides laugh at you. New heads are cheap. As for bug juice...just about spit my water out reading that. That stuff is like simply green.

:congrats: those nothin but junk peanut port heads anyhow, get a rebuildble pair for cheap

from the looks of the photos i think you have a bigger problem than just the plugs

Da1Chief said:
As and "OLD" Navy guy, I would say soak it in "Bug Juice", which is Cherry Kool-Aid mixed at 1/4 the water, so to make 1 gal of "Bug Juice" you need enough to make 4 reg gals.

I know it sounds stupid but if there are any Sailors out there they will tell you the same thing. This stuff will strip anything down to the metal.

:eek: We need to start up a new thread listing recipies for secret potions like "Bug Juice." :congrats: This is amazing information.

"Bug Juice" is NOT a national secret, EVERY enlisted sailor that has ever performed PMS on any equipment used for Damage Control or other metal objects know about "Bug Juice".

Cherry always seemed to work best, followed by the Green/Lime, then by the Purple/Grape. Don't know why Cherry worked better than the others, it just did.

And to think, we use to drink that stuff and like it.... :)

Well the results are in.

NOTHIN worked. The temps that the rust must have gotten too solidified it. We used the navy jelly. It worked the best but only on the top layer of crap. Then i tried to pick and pry at the rust with a sharp pic tool. We worked on it all day yesterday. Put on wait 10 min and pic off, wash and repeat. Theres just no way to get to the inner part of the socket/wall area.

SO

Just going to slap on the wires, new exhaust n gaskets, new water separator, new thermostat, new water impeller n pump, change oil and filter then see what happens.

Hopefully she fires up. The other side was not nearly as bad. Plugs came out just fine.

If she were mine it would be to pull the heads. But shes not sooo....

SHould be interesting monday when its all ready to go.

Thanks for the info guys.

You couldn't pay me to fire that engine up with the plugs looking like that.

Prob wont fire up anyway.... :)

SHU-DOG said:
Well the results are in.

NOTHIN worked. The temps that the rust must have gotten too solidified it. We used the navy jelly. It worked the best but only on the top layer of crap. Then i tried to pick and pry at the rust with a sharp pic tool. We worked on it all day yesterday. Put on wait 10 min and pic off, wash and repeat. Theres just no way to get to the inner part of the socket/wall area.

SO

Just going to slap on the wires, new exhaust n gaskets, new water separator, new thermostat, new water impeller n pump, change oil and filter then see what happens.

Hopefully she fires up. The other side was not nearly as bad. Plugs came out just fine.

If she were mine it would be to pull the heads. But shes not sooo....

SHould be interesting monday when its all ready to go.

You didn't try "the Bug Juice"?? I was interested if it would work??:dontknow:

Well, you know what they say about boats

Da1Chief said:
"Bug Juice" is NOT a national secret, EVERY enlisted sailor that has ever performed PMS on any equipment used for Damage Control or other metal objects know about "Bug Juice".

Cherry always seemed to work best, followed by the Green/Lime, then by the Purple/Grape. Don't know why Cherry worked better than the others, it just did.

And to think, we use to drink that stuff and like it.... :)
c'mon Chief, you know we perform PMS before any equipment would have rust on it...:D

SHU-DOG said:
Well the results are in.

NOTHIN worked.

That's because Chief was holding back with his sailor secret.. It was supposed to be Hi-C not Kool-Aid. That big red pitcher dude has been playing us for years.. OH YEEEEAH!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back