grill inserts

not me, but a few have

Has anyone removed the inserts for underhood cooling.

I don't really think you would see much difference removing the inserts being they are 95% open already. Plus pulling in air from the hood scoop.

I removed mine because I didn't like the fact that I could see them through the grille. Besides, I can see my CAI through the grille now ;)

I removed mine. In Phoenix, you can't get enough cool air under the hot hood. Plus when stopped & turned off I hope it helps the hot air exit.

I have removed mine as well

If you still have the OE air intake it channels air to the air box. You won't gain anything in cooling the engine, they were designed to channel air through the center of radiator/condenser and the hood scoop lets hot air out not cool air in, but everyone has their opinions..............just my .02 but I also do not have my truck anymore.......

+1

The grill block inserts (block offs) are a huge part of the overall performance package of the truck. The SRT team did their homework on this one.

More than enough air passes through the front grill. The SRT team determined how much could be blocked off w/o sacrificing cooling. Actually, they promote cooling. Its called "diffusion cooling". The air coming in slows down after passing through the inserts which is a high velocity small opening. Then, with the square area of the core support being larger, the air slows way down and extracts more heat from the radiator. As mentioned above, the hood scoop draws the hot engine air out (it is in a low pressure zone). That not only assists with cooling, it assists with handling. At high speeds, it will minimize air "ballooning" (or damming up) in the engine bay, which make the splitter on the front fascia more effective providing down force.
The biggest benefit from the block offs is aero. More air around the vehicle reduces cD. The less air through the grill, the faster you can go. (think NASCAR super speedway and the "tape" used to block grill off openings)

Cheers!!:)

+1

The grill block inserts (block offs) are a huge part of the overall performance package of the truck. The SRT team did their homework on this one.

More than enough air passes through the front grill. The SRT team determined how much could be blocked off w/o sacrificing cooling. Actually, they promote cooling. Its called "diffusion cooling". The air coming in slows down after passing through the inserts which is a high velocity small opening. Then, with the square area of the core support being larger, the air slows way down and extracts more heat from the radiator. As mentioned above, the hood scoop draws the hot engine air out (it is in a low pressure zone). That not only assists with cooling, it assists with handling. At high speeds, it will minimize air "ballooning" (or damming up) in the engine bay, which make the splitter on the front fascia more effective providing down force.
The biggest benefit from the block offs is aero. More air around the vehicle reduces cD. The less air through the grill, the faster you can go. (think NASCAR super speedway and the "tape" used to block grill off openings)

Cheers!!:)

Hey, you cant be the resident town clown and provide knowledgeable insight on srt-10 rams..Please choose one..:):):)

Those grill inserts may do in fact all that stuff...

But I still like a cleaner engine bay. I don't know about you guys but my truck rarely sees speeds above 100mph....Mainly because of driveline vibrations from a wrong pinion angle. But I just don't speed that much anymore.

With the hood up they are not in the engine bay................not sure what you mean. If you take them off, clean and paint them they look quite nice and keep road debris out of the engine bay, plus if you refinish the AC condenser mounts they will protect the finish, THAT can make a messy engine bay when they are all chipped and look like crap.......

I took mine off. I like how the CAI. gets more air with them removed.

The OEM cold air feed will definitely get LESS air if you remove the grill block offs. On the passenger side, there is a "scoop" molded into the panel. It feeds high volume, outside air from a very high pressure area into the front fender well. This "box" inside the fender is where the air slows down with a slight (and I mean slight) benefit of "Ram Recovery". The tuned opening of the cool air feed draws from this point. This design is the very reason know one has seen gains from an CAI over the OEM set up.

It befuddles me why on earth the MOPAR CAI is such a disaster of a design. It does not completely seal off hot engine bay air from the filter AND attaches a scoop to a low pressure area (hood scoop). Double Jeopardy on that one. We wont even mention the goofiness of the Volant. It might be a cool air feed.... however, it works in the EXACT OPPOSITE function by Bernoulli's Equation.

Cheers Guys!

You can make them look really nice behind the grill, I used simple green to clean then Krylon Fusion for plastic in gloss black for the final finish, held up really well...

P1010004.JPG:burnout::rock:

Meh... I still don't like em...

I like being able to see my CAI tube... lol

DSC01493_zpseaaf326e.jpg

Last edited:
Meh... I still don't like em...

I like being able to see my CAI tube... lol

DSC01493_zpseaaf326e.jpg

The Stealthiest is the barely noticeable but effective set up. Very high cool factor when the sharp among us do notice.:burnout:

I'm sorry to tell you Sir, that is not a cold air feed. It's really a hot air, turbulent flow air feed. Your engine would love you if you put the stock set up back on...:D

Cheers!!

My Cai goes all the way down to the bottom of the bumper.

And,

SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!

My Cai goes all the way down to the bottom of the bumper.

And,

SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!

Your statement re-enforces my point.;)

BTW, Harley's sound AMAZING to a lot of people, it does not mean they are fast.:)

Here's the bottom line.... If you like it, that's the most important thing. I get some static for having a clean truck so I get it.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back