Harmonic Balancer and Crank Pulley (NEED HELP)

scoobert said:
i have never had it off, so dumb question what do the 6 bolts do?

holds the pulley to the damper, dude:rock: :rock: :rock:

It seems like it would be keyed from the factory to avoid it slipping or backing off, but it's not it's just held on there with 1 bolt and torqued down.

getusum said:
It seems like it would be keyed from the factory to avoid it slipping or backing off, but it's not it's just held on there with 1 bolt and torqued down.

Lots of people have had problems with this. There are 2 fixes, 1) pin the balancer to the crank like what yours had and then making sure to check the torque of the bolt on a regular basis, or 2) when the crank has been removed from the engine have it keyed and use a ATI dampner, when the engines are built this is normally what is done.

My crank was pinned when I had the ROE, but then when I had the motor built I changed to keys and used the ATI dampner.

I had the same problem, Mine had 500 miles on it (Stock) and every time you started the truck cold, Outside temp was summer temps,the belt would squeal , Checked it out and found pulley alignment was way off, Reached down and the damper bolt was ready to fall off, Removed damper and pulley and there was no damage, so reinstalled with proper torque and some loctite on the threads and it is fine now.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back