heads and cam

dcrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what type of gains would you see with a cam and port and polished heads or cam and justcleaning the heads up.

dcrow said:
what type of gains would you see with a cam and port and polished heads or cam and justcleaning the heads up.
Depends on the cam and porting job.
Cam alone I have heard for the Coup cam 8-10 HP.
mmmmtorque's got about 25 HP alone, a Comp Cam grind if I remember correctly.
There are more aggressive grinds, but you really need to tune for them and becareful of your idle.

Heads alone, I would say at least 50HP as stated above, most likely more with a good porting job and tune.

Now add the cam and heads together you could get a synergistic effect and possibly gain up to 100 or even more with our V-10 craniums; of course assuming a good tune. (also have 1 3/4 primaries for your headers).
Let that engine breath for more ponies! :rock:

I'm sure others will chime in, plus there are several posts on this subject.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
You didn't just say that did you????

ahh...for crying out loud....I have always said you need headers if you are doing a H/C package....I have also always said that you can have a paxton for the same $$ as a H/C package so why bother....:D

Nowwhat said:
ahh...for crying out loud....I have always said you need headers if you are doing a H/C package....I have also always said that you can have a paxton for the same $$ as a H/C package so why bother....:D

Agreed, go the SC route for the same bucks.
Unless you want Taliban Dan to port your heads and work your valves.

Nowwhat said:

RAOTFLMAO!!!! I love giving you shit...:D :p ;)

One question though...why not do both...:dontknow: :confused:

Texas Yellow Fever said:
One question though...why not do both...:dontknow: :confused:
Who in their right mind would do that??! :dontknow::p

what would it cost to port and polish the heads and the cost of the cam.

dcrow said:
what would it cost to port and polish the heads and the cost of the cam.
Heads - from some of the major compaines 3K-6.5K.
Cam - Comp cam grind ~550-669
Cam - coupe cam = ~300

I gained 22rwhp with a set of ported heads and 25 out of a mild custom cam.

Now mine was a simple port job but if you ported, polished and upgraded the valve train,(approx $3500) I am sure there are more gains to be had. Now you could go an buy a set of Styker's ($6500) with a matched cam, rumored gains are in the 120-150hp, depending on who you listen to.

I am going with a very big custom grind cam. Probably bigger than anyone else has done on the trucks. I am also upgrading to roller rockers, port matching the gaskets and intake runners, port polishing the heads and port/polishing the intake runners. I am shooting for 80-100 rwhp gain.

ViperTruck2933 said:
I am going with a very big custom grind cam. Probably bigger than anyone else has done on the trucks. I am also upgrading to roller rockers, port matching the gaskets and intake runners, port polishing the heads and port/polishing the intake runners. I am shooting for 80-100 rwhp gain.

Be careful with the cam. Bigger is not always better.

Silverback said:
Be careful with the cam. Bigger is not always better.
Agreed.

I discussed my goals and driving habits at length with Joe Donovan. I told him I wanted to go as big as possible within the framework of those goals, driving habits and my budget. We also considered my existing mods and the other mods I am doing.

Joe then talked at length with the engineers at Comp Cams and together they came up with the grind that I am using. Hopefully it'll all come together nicely.:rock:

ViperTruck2933 said:
Agreed.

I discussed my goals and driving habits at length with Joe Donovan. I told him I wanted to go as big as possible within the framework of those goals, driving habits and my budget. We also considered my existing mods and the other mods I am doing.

Joe then talked at length with the engineers at Comp Cams and together they came up with the grind that I am using. Hopefully it'll all come together nicely.:rock:

That's the right way to do it.:) :rock:

ViperTruck2933 said:

80-100 is reasonable...but the lope at idle alone will be worth the price of admission....:rock:

A previous forum member installed a very aggressive cam a couple of weeks ago here with Taliban Dan. It sounds and pulls great, however the idle is rough and fluctuates.

Bone said:
A previous forum member installed a very aggressive cam a couple of weeks ago here with Taliban Dan. It sounds and pulls great, however the idle is rough and fluctuates.
Does he have a ported throttle body? Do you know how big the cam is?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back