How big is an aircraft carrier?

amtrucker22 said:
I spent my 2 years at sea on the Washington. Was a great boat while I was on it. But then again I was on its maiden voyage when it was brand new :D. They had a mogas sponsen fire while we were out at sea and they had to jettison the whole sponsen. It was a very interesting GQ!

Must be prone to fires. They had a real nasty one on the way here. CO was relieved. Major repairs in San Diego before making the trip across the pond.

I was on the JFK from 94-98 when it came out of the yards a year early and replaced the Saratoga in Mayport. It was a reserve carrier but only in name and by reduced manning. Things were not that bad but they just kept up with band aid fixes until Capt Joyce took one for team and ended up getting relieved. He was a good guy. I knew him with he was the CO of VS-30 and the OPS of of the JFK before he came back years later to be the CO.

amtrucker22 said:
I spent my 2 years at sea on the Washington. Was a great boat while I was on it. But then again I was on its maiden voyage when it was brand new :D. They had a mogas sponsen fire while we were out at sea and they had to jettison the whole sponsen. It was a very interesting GQ!

When were you on the GW?...I was there from 96-99....:)

JapanAaron said:
Must be prone to fires. They had a real nasty one on the way here. CO was relieved. Major repairs in San Diego before making the trip across the pond.

I just got back from Japan...That Friendship Day on base was kind of crazy...:D :D

FlyingLow said:
Here is one I took from fleet week.

can someone email me this photo. I am going back to NY tomorrow, this brings back memories.
if so PM me and I will give oyu my email address

I was on the Eisenhower(spelling?) for dependents day. Its massive, I do not know what class it is, but they were blowing shit up in the water and everything. It was unreal, they even had a 7-11 on there.

Jeff Kehoe said:
I was on the Eisenhower(spelling?) for dependents day. Its massive, I do not know what class it is, but they were blowing shit up in the water and everything. It was unreal, they even had a 7-11 on there.

Oh, Thank Heaven!

:D :D :D

I was on the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) and Cross Decked to Precom USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72). Yes they are big and heavy, what is truly amazing is seeing it on a "Hot Run" throwing a "Rooster Tail" that is even with the Flight Deck that is Six Stories in the air. Speed is classified but it could get a ticket on the Interstate.... :)

A sight to remember is a Tomcat with full Afterburners on take off. Nothing quite like it, still miss them. The Last Ture Fighter...... :)

lucky bastages, i had to spend 6 months on board the USS NASHVILLE LPD 13(trashville) is what we called her...lol

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 49
Abraham Lincoln here, ships company 97-00, AKA the CVN seven on two. anyone who made the 98 cruise knows about that nickname :D

i slept for two nights on a carrier in charleston...retired, i'm sure....but i can't even remember which one...that's sad...but as big as it was...it felt small...if that's possible

I did two long cruises on the USS George Washington with HS-15(1999-2002). (I also did a 2 week det on the JFK back in 2001.....That ship was booty!!) :D

I still remember the first day I met "da G-Dub"....She was pretty much the largest thing I had ever seen and I'm from the Grand Canyon State! I miss her and her ilk. There was nothing like standing on the flight deck, haulin' ass across the Med because some "Head of State" was being a douche bag and watching a pod of dolphins swim along side!!!

Or launching aircraft, or living with good people, or dealing with the boredom interrupted by moments of shear panic....:D:D:D (The Good Ole Days.)

jrgnd said:
I just got back from Japan...That Friendship Day on base was kind of crazy...:D :D

Oh yeah! you should be here for the open base during "Friendship Day" in August. The skirts are very short and the beer is cold. Also got a pretty decent car show on base. Give me a yell if you make it back out this way. I will be here until June 1, 2010.

JapanAaron said:
Oh yeah! you should be here for the open base during "Friendship Day" in August. The skirts are very short and the beer is cold. Also got a pretty decent car show on base. Give me a yell if you make it back out this way. I will be here until June 1, 2010.

Will do...:D

KRAZYSRT10 said:
I did two long cruises on the USS George Washington with HS-15(1999-2002). (I also did a 2 week det on the JFK back in 2001.....That ship was booty!!) :D

I still remember the first day I met "da G-Dub"....She was pretty much the largest thing I had ever seen and I'm from the Grand Canyon State! I miss her and her ilk. There was nothing like standing on the flight deck, haulin' ass across the Med because some "Head of State" was being a douche bag and watching a pod of dolphins swim along side!!!

Or launching aircraft, or living with good people, or dealing with the boredom interrupted by moments of shear panic....:D:D:D (The Good Ole Days.)

Yeah...I left in June 99...

I remember in 98 when the Indepedence, Nimitz and GW were all in the Gulf at the same time doing flight ops...My AC buddy said that at any given time, there were 60 planes in the air from the those ships alone and that at peak, you had a plane landing or taking off every 30 seconds...

Here was my 4yr pleasure cruise...USS FORESTALL CV-59

025963.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back