HP/TQ gains estimate

ViperPowa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I been wondering just out of curiosity how much power I've gained. Ain't been able to get to a dyno yet, did some looking around on here and looks like theres numbers all over the place. So, what you guys think Belnagers LT's, catless mids, Mopar/Borla exhaust, and SCT on 93 by Roe would be at the crank on an 05 QC HP and TQ wise? Seat of the pants say a night and day difference, but numbers wise I have no clue. Maybe 550HP at the crank???:dontknow:

Nice lol, that's what I been thinking. Gotta be atleast around 550 ish, maybe a little more on the torque side.

Don't ya just love big blocks?:rock:

Whats in a number? The more important thing is you purchased the best mods without going FI. But if you gotta have a number, then I would guess at the crank +50 to 75.

I imagine the truck feels completly different now......way better than stock.:rock: :burnout:

patrick

ViperPowa said:
What did you dyno stock? Wonder what the true drive train % loss we have with the auto.

I never got it to a dyno while stock,so im not sure,I would guess it would be around 400 roughly,100hp loss to the auto tranny would be my guess.

mauiSRT/10 said:
Whats in a number? The more important thing is you purchased the best mods without going FI. But if you gotta have a number, then I would guess at the crank +50 to 75.

I imagine the truck feels completly different now......way better than stock.:rock: :burnout:

patrick

The curiosity was getting the best of me man:D

Truck feels like a completely different animal now, worth every penny imo. When your guys track open back up Pat?

Mine was 389 bone stock.
423 with a catback & Stage 2. But, the Stage 2 provided the biggest change and took a SECOND off the e.t. so large TQ increases (mid-range) are indicated.
The catback helped as well but not like the Stage 2.
I would guess 40+ lost through the auto.
Stock Vipers (Gen III) are 425 wheel on a Dynojet, for comparison...

Last edited:
They had a test and tune last month. Next race date is sometime this month. I think the third weekend. They put up a bunch of fences so now you cant get into the pits without a drivers band. Insurance dicks gettn in the way.

Your truck is awesome now, you have all the good gofast. FI scares me in HI. Who could rebuild our engines out here?

patrick

rottenronnie said:
Mine was 389 bone stock.
423 with a catback & Stage 2. But, the Stage 2 provided the biggest change and took a SECOND off the e.t. so large TQ increases (mid-range) are indicated.
The catback helped as well but not like the Stage 2.
I would guess 40+ lost through the auto.
Stock Vipers (Gen III) are 425 wheel on a Dynojet, for comparison...

Hey Ron,just a quick question cause I'm missing something here,I'm not understanding on just a 40HP loss, if its only a 40+ hp loss through the tranny then these trucks should be dynoing out at around 550-560 rwhp?:dontknow: shouldn't they? with the auto tranny on them, your showing a 111hp difference? I guessed on mine by estimating a 30HP gain aprox after mods.

Yellow venom said:
Hey Ron,just a quick question cause I'm missing something here,I'm not understanding on just a 40HP loss, if its only a 40+ hp loss through the tranny then these trucks should be dynoing out at around 550-560 rwhp?:dontknow: shouldn't they? with the auto tranny on them, your showing a 111hp difference? I guessed on mine by estimating a 30HP gain aprox after mods.

I think he means the auto losses and extra 40 or so hp compared to the manual...

BigRed460 said:
I think he means the auto losses and extra 40 or so hp compared to the manual...

Hey Joe- Kinda like he said....^^^^^

If a stock Gen III Viper is typically 425 wheel (same engine as the trucks of course, but a manual transmission) and vehicle weight on the dyno isn't really a factor, that is approx. 40 horsepower more than the trucks- stock for stock.

The Stage 2 flash is the wild card here. Peak horsepower gains make no sense compared to the improvement they make on the auto trucks at the track. There has to be an 80+ TQ improvement somewhere under the PEAK TQ number..

I was able to do my mods in stages and check the results at each step with the same dyno and operator. Those are the results I had with my truck.

I have heard claims of higher horsepower losses through our autos so the 40 is only a guesstimate....:dontknow: 40 is quite a bit.

That energy doesn't just disappear and I am assuming it would get turned into heat. After the converter it is more or less mechanical.

One day, if I have nothing to do, I might put a manual in just to see for sure... ;)

Last edited:
Impossible to estimate without knowing the base line hp. Stock truck vary 70 or 80 rwhp and on occasion more. So any guess could be 75 hp off easy if not much more.

Hell dyno it and find out...anything else is just guessing.

ViperPowa said:
Nice lol, that's what I been thinking. Gotta be atleast around 550 ish, maybe a little more on the torque side.

Don't ya just love big blocks?:rock:

I thought the Viper V-10 is actually a really big displacement SMALL block ? :rock: :confused: :rock:

I know it was based on the 360 small block,with two extra cylinders of course

Prof said:
Impossible to estimate without knowing the base line hp. Stock truck vary 70 or 80 rwhp and on occasion more. So any guess could be 75 hp off easy if not much more.

Hell dyno it and find out...anything else is just guessing.

70 or 80 r.w.h.p. wow!
25 (ish) according to one Dynojet operator here that routinely baselines a lot of Viper cars before mods...
In the end track numbers tell the story...

It's so hard to make an estimate man. My QC dynoed 420rwhp bone stock:dontknow: Some people get 400 or less:confused:

So, if you were 420 at the wheels stock... then you'd be around 470 now. Which should be around 565 or so at the crank.

It's been said more times than I can count, dyno numbers don't really mean sh*t. Take that baby to the track:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back