i lose about a quart of oil every 1500 miles.

So you are loosing coolant? and oil? and have no drops on the driveway? Blown head gasket. Check for oil in you coolant or coolant in your oil. If your oil looks like a chocolate milkshake then theres your answer. Hope thats not it.
I changed my oil it looked normal. Dontvthey make fluorescent dye you can put in coolant? To see if it is leaking.

Because if its oil coolant lines you will not see drips on driveway and if coolant is leaking and hitting something hot it would evaporate immediately??

Could be. Usually coolant that has hit something hot and evaporated still leaves a white residue that you can clearly see though. Snoop around, you'll find the problem.

85k on mine, burns no noticeable amount of oil. Changed oil about 3 months ago and it still looks like honey on the dipstick. Maybe I just got lucky with this one. :dontknow:

I've got 87k on mine.

Doesn't burn any either.

We both have quad cabs. I wonder if that has something to do with it. :dontknow:

There is a service bulletin that is still used today from the early 90s that contains these specs. I don't feel like looking it up. :D I stated that spec based on most of these trucks have over 50k miles on them, even then it would have only burnt 6.66 quarts of oil. Let's not get wrapped up in the numbers. Check your oil every time you fuel up and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Never heard of burning that much oil before or that bulletin. Guess my motors have never had these problems. We have 4 Dodges made after 1990 and 3 others built before than and have never had oil loss problems. Guess every motor is different.

Could be. Usually coolant that has hit something hot and evaporated still leaves a white residue that you can clearly see though. Snoop around, you'll find the problem.

Well that explains it there is white residue all over the block. I'll just throw some dye in there and try to find the source of the problem ? And if you guys can't tell I'm not very knowledgeable on vehicles since these trucks came out I was set on buying one when I had my feet on the ground lol. Most of thesr trucks are 7-9 yes old and are still the best looking trucks on the road. Thanks for the input guys

The manual says you can check your oil after a warmed engine has sat for 15 minutes or after its sat over night. Which do you guys prefer?

The manual says you can check your oil after a warmed engine has sat for 15 minutes or after its sat over night. Which do you guys prefer?

I check mine every other trip to the gas station. I get 400-450 miles out of a tank of fuel, so it gets checked at least once every 900 miles and the engine is always warm when I check it.

I did a motor rebuild about 2 years ago and have put on 4000 miles since then and guess what, same thing here Quart every 1200 - 1500 miles. Just a nature of the beast.

Jim

Honestly believe it has to do with driving style and our crappy crankcase ventilation hoses from valve covers. They each go to intake vacuum and can basically suck on oil mist the entire time you drive and even moreso after a hard romp when vacuum returns pretty fast and heavy. Just my .02:rock:

Well I have been checking it when its cool. I'll start checking it 15 min after truck is off, also if you all don't change your own oil make SURE that the lube guy knows toput 9 arts in because I had a guy put 6.5 qrts thinking it was a baby hemi. It obviously says viper on valve covers lol

Last edited:
Is it not possible to route the left valve cover to the right valve cover? Instead of those breather filters? Wouldn't that cut down on oil consumption?

Is it not possible to route the left valve cover to the right valve cover? Instead of those breather filters? Wouldn't that cut down on oil consumption?

Kinda what I'd like to know. Better Justin has answers :D
I would think that the vacuum from CAI tubing prior to intake would have much less vacuum than port under intake. Route both there but then you'll have twice the residue on TB blade and IAC as well as intake ports. :dontknow:

Well I have been checking it when its cool. I'll start checking it 15 min after truck is off, also if you all don't change your own oil make SURE that the lube guy knows toput 9 arts in because I had a guy put 6.5 qrts thinking it was a baby hemi. It obviously says viper on valve covers lol

I had a shop put 8 litres in, when in fact my 06 takes 10 litres. It was a Dodge dealer and how could the book be wrong? There was no oil on the dipstick.:mad:

Kinda what I'd like to know. Better Justin has answers :D
I would think that the vacuum from CAI tubing prior to intake would have much less vacuum than port under intake. Route both there but then you'll have twice the residue on TB blade and IAC as well as intake ports. :dontknow:

Hmmmm,

I'll have to take a look at the tubing.

I remember once I had a clogged EGR on my Avenger and it would pressurize the crank case and would squirt oil out of the dip-stick. And even on that car both valve covers were linked (some people used a breather), I have a tube going from the lower intake manifold to the CAi and the engine does not consume oil.

Last edited:
I had a shop put 8 litres in, when in fact my 06 takes 10 litres. It was a Dodge dealer and how could the book be wrong? There was no oil on the dipstick.:mad:

Yea if I'm not mistaken the 04 -05 require 9 qrts and 06 requires 10?

Yea if I'm not mistaken the 04 -05 require 9 qrts and 06 requires 10?

My 04 says 8.5 qrts and its right in the middle of the dip stick when I check it after an oil change. I always pre fill the filer too, less time the motor is without oil.

Another funny thing that changed through the years was the weight of the oil. 03-04 was 10-30 while 05-05 was 0-40. I run the thinner 0-40 right this second but now that I'm an Amsoil dealer I will be running 5-40 Full-SAPS come Fall.

Also be mindful if you are buying valve covers as they change as well. 03-04 has the vents towards the back while 05 and 06 had them in the front.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back