In the market for a bike

Every one of you made valid points, except for the pink scooter and turbo busa. I hear frequently i will drive my bike more than just to work and a busa is too much for a first bike. I seriously want a bike just to and from work, one my wife can hop on the back. But i want to have something bad ass even if i cant break 45 on my daily commutes. I think i can drive a 1300 responsibly while i learn how it handles. Cant justify dropping 10g's on one but if i can get a 1300 or a 1400 for the same price as a new 600 why settle. It took 8 trucks till i got the one i wanted im not playing that game with a bike. Any tips on where to shop would be great. Thanks again for the responses

JeffBoyette said:
Every one of you made valid points, except for the pink scooter and turbo busa. I hear frequently i will drive my bike more than just to work and a busa is too much for a first bike. I seriously want a bike just to and from work, one my wife can hop on the back. But i want to have something bad ass even if i cant break 45 on my daily commutes. I think i can drive a 1300 responsibly while i learn how it handles. Cant justify dropping 10g's on one but if i can get a 1300 or a 1400 for the same price as a new 600 why settle. It took 8 trucks till i got the one i wanted im not playing that game with a bike. Any tips on where to shop would be great. Thanks again for the responses

Cycle trader!! Alot of good deals.I have seen brand new 1300 hondas for a great price.Check it out!!

if it is your first bike, get a SV 650 or SV1200 if you are a big guy. Like all others have said, the busa is not recommended as a starter bike. Can you? yes, but it'll get you hurt fast and is not a forgiving bike if you make a mistake. and you will not learn to ride as quickly as as confidently as you would on a bike for a beginner.

Also, if you are looking to save money you will not save money riding a newer busa, GSXR, ninja, or CBR whatever size. . If you are paying $7k on a loan, monthly insurance, and upkeep( Maintenance and upkeep will nullify savings if doing proper maintenance).

A bike like a used SV650 or 500cc whatever will be cheap enough for you to get started ($1-3k for a newer used one), get decent gas mileage 40-50 on 87 octane and not eat through tires and chains like a fat kid though cake. Also when you feel confident with your riding skills you can sell the bike for almost as much as you bought it for and if you drop it you won't feel as bad dropping a used bike. I would recommend getting someone who rides to help you find a quality used bike. most of us that do would be happy to help if they have the time.

also a must! Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) COURSE. it is required to ride on all DoD installations anyway. it's free for us military and civilians that work on base and is usually held by base safety.

I have a Busa, I don't ride to save money. I ride because I like to ride.

Last edited:
I had a 2000 SV650s for my first bike then graduated to an 02 GSX-R 600. I put almost 27K miles on the GSX-R and just sold it this fall...great bike! I have out grown the crotch rockets, plus I get too wild wanting to wheelie all the time. I also have a Yamaha road warrior 1700 that I have had for four years that I love and ride the most. I would say for a first bike I would steer clear from the GSX-R 1300. If your wanting to stay in a true sport bike a GSX-R 600 is a good bike, but the SV650 is a great learner bike.

If you have never riden before you need to learn the road, your reactions, and mechanics of riding without the worry of trying to handle a big bike with tons of power. Once you feel confident and learn how to ride sell your beginner and graduate.

The SV650 or SV650s will do great and is a fun, torque filled, sporty, and cheap way to get into the bike lifestyle and if you decide its not for you the SV would be easier to sell than the many Busas on the market.

Forgot to add don't spend more than 4K on your first bike. Your first bike may need a little work like new tires, brakes, and basic tune up items but learning how to fix these things help you get familar with the bike and how to work on it...if thats your thing.

There are plenty of great bikes that are in perfect riding order for under 4K. Besides after you drop it the first time you won't feel as bad and trust me everyone I know drops there first bike.

505'sFastestViper. said:
ill sell you my 01 busa turbocharged for 10k over 25 invested 300 rwhp on race gas 270 on pump built motor carrillo rods je pistons an excellant bike

so the turbo gives ya abotu 70/80 rwhp??

We call the old farts in my area Q-TIPS ,beware they don't even see our big ass trucks coming...

If I was going to buy a trumpet it would have to be an old bonneville. That's what the OL wants, they are still cool bikes. Something from the late 70's maybe.

OCBob said:
If I was going to buy a trumpet it would have to be an old bonneville. That's what the OL wants, they are still cool bikes. Something from the late 70's maybe.
Something like this?:D

OCBob said:
The old bikes are cool. I had a 79' Honda CBX (inline 6 cylinder). The new bikes are so nice due to being fuel injected. No carbs, no chokes, no fuel petcocks, Just turn the key and hit the start button. The 955i's have tonnes of torque. You can but don't have to change gears (down shift) all the time. Just twist the throttle and go.

The Triumphs are suppose to be very reliable and get good gas mileage. 45-50+ mpg (your mileage may vary). If you have a Triumph dealer near you the parts and service are no problem either. I'm looking at a Tiger that I hope to aquire in the next month or so.

Well... That figures! I just got rid of my CBR600RR and took a f*ckin' BATH on it. :rolleyes:

That turbo Busa' is a nasty bastard! I might have a buyer, maybe, 505.... that is, if it doesn't sell on this thread. ;)

Bashed on another forum

I posted a similar thread on Pensacolariders.com and got fewer responses and a longer wait for it and that is our local sport bike clubs forum. Half the responses i got were negative, derogatory, and bashed me for being inexperienced. I was insulted, talked down to, and made out to be some "punk kid" for trying drive on "their" roads and potentially crashing in to someone. These are the responses i got from senior members.

"That shit just drips with "future darwin award winner"."

"Shame on the salesperson that hands him the keys. "

"Obviously no one here is going to convince you of a smart decision."

"So just make sure you don't hurt anyone else with your "need for speed"."

"well it sure is spring again, all the new kids are coming out to play and they all want busas. "

"just don't smash into the back of my bike or anyone else.

"If your speed craving is satisfied by something as slow as an SRT-10, ANY bike should give you what you want."

"Sounds like you need a huffy. Try wal-mart."

"yea, well you can't teach smart :shrugs:"

"he prolly just doesn't know how to relax/sit on a bike."

Thank you guys for giving me some valid and credible advice. I say again, the comradery of this club is world class and i repect your opinions. I acknowldege the most powerful production bike ever made is not a smart choice for a beginner, But i explained thoroughly it is just a daily commute in 45 mph zones on military installation. Thanks again for your responses.

Think of it tis way, you have a nice truck, its expensive and alot to drive and maintain. You want to buy a bike, for running around as simple stuff. Most guys on that board prolly think bikes are the best thing in the world, and they are probably younger guys which we all know equals keyboard commando!
My cousin bought his first bike a year ago (he is about 5'8" and 175 pds) it was a 2002 CBR F4i, he learned on it a loved riding it, he just sold it and bought a 2005 R6.

I would just work my way up, get something you can handle and learn to ride it. You know your going to dump it(crash) because every one does.

Forget the other bike board, just hang here!:D

JeffBoyette said:
I posted a similar thread on Pensacolariders.com and got fewer responses and a longer wait for it and that is our local sport bike clubs forum. Half the responses i got were negative, derogatory, and bashed me for being inexperienced. I was insulted, talked down to, and made out to be some "punk kid" for trying drive on "their" roads and potentially crashing in to someone. These are the responses i got from senior members.
There are just so many people out there that are so insecure that they have to put down other people to feel good about themselves. Shame.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back