In the market for a bike

I had an 03 XB9. Actually preferred it over the XB12. Never saw 65mpg but you could get 50mpg. Should be able to get one under $5k no problem. XB series is the first reliable Buell ever put together. Best part with Buell's is the dirt cheap parts costs from your local HD dealer. Worse part is having to deal with your local HD dealer.....not many really appreciate having Buell on their sales floors much less even being assoicated with HD. Not even close to being the best handling bike on earth. Remove the belt drive and convert to chain, new rear shock with preload adjustments and handling is much improved though you'll still be fighting the bars some through corners but tendency to stand up in a corner while on the brakes is much much less.

Put a stock Buell on a track and it'd be the same as trying to go toe to toe with a Viper with our trucks....just isn't going to happen. Here's a photo of mine getting a few mods.....

Picture111.jpg

faslane505 said:
how bout one of these

Buell Firebolt xb9r
Same drive line as a harley sportster except on a sport bike frame belt driven...not teribbly fast bout the same as a sportster...red line of 6800rpm roughly.. i think 86hp...65mpg and a damn good looking bike at that...should be able to this one up for about >$6000. best handling bike on earth IMO...

Last edited:
JeffBoyette said:
Best advice ive ever recieved. Thanks again for all your inputs. Im taking your advice, unlike some out there i need the advice when i ask for it. A rocket on wheels in a 45mph zone is still a rocket on wheels, and i will want to take it off base and probably be stupid. I think im going to pick up a new kawasaki 250R and drive the piss out of it. In a few months ill buy a gxsr 750 then a R1 and ultimately a 08 busa. Plans may change later but at least i will be alive to make that decision! Thanks again guys see you next weekend.

Let me be the first to say, I wouldn't reccomend getting a 250R either... it's a teenie little bike... get a cruiser like what ocbob was reccomending... hell my first bike was a nighthawk750 1992... I still have it after 16 years? :O... think it's got 18K on the clock now... it was the perfect starter bike for me...

There's no room to grow on an EX250, you can learn on a bigger cruiser bike... just not TOO big... and later when you're hooked your wife can ride the cruiser and you can ride <the busa, if you decide to go that route>...

lastly... I think you can pick up a used nighthawk for under 1K... I think new they're only like 4999

I agree with Bandit, BUT :p I was thinking of a Suzuki SV650. You can find used ones at very reasonabl prices and won't take a bath reselling it.

My suggestion would be to go out and sit on all off them and find one that is comfortable.

Best of luck!

Good advise to check the insurance first on any motorcycle you are considering buying. I have had several bikes mostly Goldwings along with others. I have a couple of Honda scooters that are a blast to ride. I have a 250 reflex that gets 75 mpg and will run over 70 mph. I also have a 600cc silverwing scooter that gets 53 mpg and will outrun most cars. These are much easier to ride than my GOldwings and I have more fun on them.

Good advise Soapy, that is the reason my FZ1 isn't being registered.

We have Public Insurance and it will cost me $1600 to insure it this year... :mad: :mad:

Manic said:
I agree with Bandit, BUT :p I was thinking of a Suzuki SV650. You can find used ones at very reasonabl prices and won't take a bath reselling it.

My suggestion would be to go out and sit on all off them and find one that is comfortable.

Best of luck!

yeah that'll work too :>... 650 750... I like the yamaha rz6... too... there's lots of good ones to choose from :D

Suggestion

Glad to see you are looking for advice instead of just buying a "flashy" kill you the first day bike like so many people do. I have had everything from dirt bikes to small displacement street bikes to my current Honda 954RR. I would not suggest getting the BUSA these bikes are a bear to handle and many "experienced" riders get into serious trouble on them! The smaller 600s are OK if you respect them, TAKE A RIDING COURSE. My wife has a 99 GSXR 600 and likes the bike. A good thing about these bikes is that they are still around in decent condition and are usually VERY affordable. If you are a BIG guy these bikes are very capable of handling larger riders (the older GSXRs were much bigger/heavier than the newer ones and kinda look like the older Busas) and make for an OK "around base" ride. If anything it is a little on the big size for my wife but like I said if you RESPECT the bike I think it makes an excellent 1st bike (not overly powerful but handles well and very affordable). These bikes also sit lower in the seat which helps, and handle passengers wilth no problem. Good luck with your seach and PLEASE be careful. Oh yeah did I mention TAKE A RIDING COURSE! They cover MUCH more than "how to ride a bike" and save you on your insurance:) which isnt too bad on these bikes (wife pays $150YR).

I'd sell ya my '07 R6 if your interested. It's kinda like a supercharged car, easy and docile down low but lottsa torque and speed up high. $6,800 with lots of extras.

Something worth mentioning: most rider courses do not require that you have your own motorcycle -- they provide the 250's to learn on. My wife took the course and they had Honda 250's. That way, you can drop their honders instead of your own.

If I were to get another bike, I would look for a cheap 4 or 5 year old mid-class sport bike. Like the Yamaha FJ series or the Suzuki Bandits, or something along those lines. You want something that handles reasonably well and has enough muscle to get out of its own way, but isn't a race-ready bike. The superbikes are fun, but you will definitely be tempted to take it off base and zing it up and down the street. You can get up over 100 so quick that it easily invites disaster. Plus they are super expensive to fix it you drop them. I'd almost consider an enduro-type bike for riding around on base. I'd go for the 400-650cc size range. It will get great mileage. The bigger bikes (1000cc +) really only get in the high 30 mpg range. A 600 can get up to 65mpg.

'03 Yamaha R6 - wife's bike, extra revvy for her pleasure
'91 Yamaha VMAX - Light mods, eats tires, but really handles terrible by today's standards
'01 Yamaha YZ426F - Fun in the dirt
'73 Kawasaki H2 750 tripple 2-stroke drag bike - 8.54 at 148
'06 Seadoo RXT - Stage3 mods- 72 mph
'07 Kawasaki Jetski Ultra 250X - 67 mph
'00 Convertible 'Vette - wife's car, Z06 bolt-on's 355 rwhp
'96 Impala SS - 383 stroker motor, high 12's.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back