Just got hired!

Halligan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got the call this afternoon from a major fire department here in AZ, and took a job offer over the phone. I should be starting the fire academy in February...

Thus, it looks like I'll be able to hold on to the SRT-10. I'm THRILLED. It also looks like I'll be able to quit my current job in time to get to the AZ GTG!!!!!:rock::elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :rock:

It's been a really rocky last few weeks. I took the fire department test back this time last year, and never would have expected a phone call. Today I was actually finishing up a final paper for a cell bio course when I got the call. I was planning on attending medical school, and just got my first two rejections last week. So, a few doors closed, and one opened.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm going to be able to stick around for a while.

Congrats Dude!!:rock: :rock:

Don't give up on medical school...

Never ever give up...

Remember those institutions are money making machines. Eventually you will be accepted by a school...in the mean time go to the fire academy...then EMT and all the while with an eye toward doing everything you can do to be a better candidate for Med School...

Your work schedule (1 on and 2 off) will be so cool. Keep hitting the books, and usually the Fire department will pay for you to go to Paramedic school.

Congratulations!!!!

Way to go!!

Like Roy said, Don't give up on Med school...Ever!

Congrats dude. And send some of that Arizona sun up my way. There's 8 inches of fresh frozen sky puke that needs melted.

Congrats! And Good Luck! I hope to see you post some pics of your new fire station and rigs when you settled in!

Prof and Others,

THANK YOU!!! I will definitely keep my eye on medical school. I'm actually going to be three months away from completing paramedic school when the fire academy starts. The good thing is that my paramedic school will let me finish where I left off once I get out of the academy.

As far as medical school goes, I definitely plan on it - eventually. I just turned 22 in nov, graduated college last dec, and I know that I'll be getting some awesome experience as a firefighter/paramedic that many medical schools will appreciate. This department is a 3-4 schedule, so it will be "one on, one off, one on, one off, one on, FOUR off." Comes out to a whopping 10 shifts a month. That will be plenty of time to study for medical school, spend time with my parents/(and gf), get a master's degree, etc.

Anyway, thank you guys. I really appreciate it. My dad, who is in poor health, has never looked more alive than today. And for a very unemotional guy, I actually got a good cry out of him (and my ma).

I'll post pics when I get there! Hope to see you at the GTG!!!!!!!!

Prof said:

Never ever give up...

Remember those institutions are money making machines. Eventually you will be accepted by a school...in the mean time go to the fire academy...then EMT and all the while with an eye toward doing everything you can do to be a better candidate for Med School...

:dito: :dito:
Damn good advice.... not that the Fire Service is a bad career...but it's certainly not a $$ maker.
Furthermore...once you get established in the Fire Service, and integrated into your department...you can get some (or all) of your Med School/education paid for by the depaertment:rock:
AZ has an aggressive and progressive fire and EMS system...so they should treat you pretty good.

A few word's of advice... "First one up...last one down" for your first year...no matter what it is...cleaning, loading fire hose, doing overhaul...ect.
Your first year will make an impression that will follow you the rest of your career.... if your first impression is..."He is a damn hard worker, and a good firefighter"... your golden.
Some of our new hire's here did not take the advice to heart...now they will be working to change their reputation they started off with...for the rest of their career. Unfortunate...but true.
bspics005.jpg

Above ( "BS" MVC)
Below ("Hooked UP" single story residential).
fdrelated012.jpg

meandfd.jpg

(Above) One of the pics from probation (1997).... ( Propane Tank Scenario)
I am on the left side / back.

Good Luck, and again....:congrats: :congrats:Congrat's:rock: :rock: :rock:
One of my buddies here...has a brother that works for Phoenix (pretty sure) FD.
Got any questions with anything related...PM me, and I will help you out any way I can.

Regards,

Ken

My favorite set of irons... vs. the Axe and Halligan....the sledgehammer :rock: :viking: :laugh:

Ken,

THANKS! That's some awesome advice. I know being a probie is going to be a fun but very difficult year. I'm very concerned as to what to expect - ie what time I need to be at the station in the AM, what things I am expected to do, etc. I'm hopefully going to get in contact with a recently finished probie within the next week, and I know I'll also get assigned a sr firefighter during the academy for any concerns that I have. I feel that I'm a damn hardworker, and I have worked my ash off to get to this point, so I don't want to stop now.

I'll def be contacting you as time gets closer. Right now, I'm gonna try and get in some really mean shape before academy and spend time with the family.

Those pictures were freakin' awesome. Get's me all jazzed up -

- Kyle

Ken is very correct. First up last down is a great way to express it.

Not a bad philosophy for life. I thought when I became a CEO that my approach could change...but first I could not change after a life of doing everything I could to be the most productive person I could be, it was a habit I had aquired...and secondly, at the top it takes more effort (a different kind of effort) but there is no room for slack...

Great words Ken...

Prof said:

Never ever give up...

:alberteinstein: Never give up FTW... Try and try again until you succeed. You WILL succeed. Persistance is the key.

Thanks again, everyone. The advice that you guys give is why I love this site so much.

I won't give up on medical school, and with the work schedule that I'll have, I will have some good study time for the MCAT (standardized test you have to take prior to applying to medical school). There has also been talks in AZ EMS/fire (around a yr ago) about putting Physician Assitants and/or Physicians on the truck/firehouse from the now retired-Phoenix Fire Chief "Bruno." I know that this idea has come about many times before, and used to take place when doc's would make house calls. . . but it would be interesting if this became an actual reality. More and more people, especially here in AZ, are utilizing EMS as their "primary care."

Just like this fell on my lap yesterday and turned things upside down on me, I know that if I continue to work hard other things will come my way, as well.

You guys rock.

- kyle

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back