Just got hired!

Halligan said:
Thanks again, everyone. The advice that you guys give is why I love this site so much.

I won't give up on medical school, and with the work schedule that I'll have, I will have some good study time for the MCAT (standardized test you have to take prior to applying to medical school). There has also been talks in AZ EMS/fire (around a yr ago) about putting Physician Assitants and/or Physicians on the truck/firehouse from the now retired-Phoenix Fire Chief "Bruno." I know that this idea has come about many times before, and used to take place when doc's would make house calls. . . but it would be interesting if this became an actual reality. More and more people, especially here in AZ, are utilizing EMS as their "primary care."

Just like this fell on my lap yesterday and turned things upside down on me, I know that if I continue to work hard other things will come my way, as well.

You guys rock.

- kyle

I did see that Bruno retired...good for him:rock: Now he's is down to one full time job;) :D.
Are you through Medic school?

We live by S.tandardOperating.Procedures
... and depending on your department's S.O.P's you may or may not get tuition reimbursement ...if the class is not imemediatly related to Fire and EMS.
We screwed that up when "someone" took massage therapist classes :dontknow::banghead:
Never a dull moment around the firehouse that's for sure.:laugh:
So... find the Tuition Reimbursement S.O.P...or City Rule's & Regulations.. and you should get most of your answers.

No, I'm not through medic school - that's the unfortunate thing. My current place of employment (a hospital- I work in the ER as a tech) picked up most of that bill.

I'll owe the school 500 bucks to pick up where I left off - right now, I'll be 130 vehicular hours short, and will have 370 total hours under my belt. I'll need to sit in on about 15 lectures in order to get my didactic hours complete. It totals a few months extra. Even once I get my medic patch . . . the department will have to "promote" me as a medic, so that I can get the raise. Most importantly, they won't even let me or any other medic function as a medic until after their probie year.

I'll have to check out the SOPs...I definitely don't want to be a massage therapist. LOL!

Halligan said:
No, I'm not through medic school - that's the unfortunate thing. My current place of employment (a hospital- I work in the ER as a tech) picked up most of that bill.

I'll owe the school 500 bucks to pick up where I left off - right now, I'll be 130 vehicular hours short, and will have 370 total hours under my belt. I'll need to sit in on about 15 lectures in order to get my didactic hours complete. It totals a few months extra. Even once I get my medic patch . . . the department will have to "promote" me as a medic, so that I can get the raise. Most importantly, they won't even let me or any other medic function as a medic until after their probie year.

I'll have to check out the SOPs...I definitely don't want to be a massage therapist. LOL!

It's all good, the Medic patch will pay off eventually....don't rush it.
Riding backwards on the engine isn't a bad gig... also let's you get some study time in.
As the saying goes... (around here anyhow)

"Big & Red...Stay's in Bed" ;) :D

NBT said:
"Big & Red...Stay's in Bed" ;) :D

haha, but our EMS is Fire where I work!!! Bruno put that into the works back when he was chief. They have medics on the fire trucks! They contract BLS ambo companies and ride in with them to the hospital! Very different, I suppose.

Finished my first week of the fire academy this week. So far, so good. I feel crippled. haha. It's been tough because I have not been able to get on the site much...I'm going through vtcoa withdrawls already. 11 weeks to go.

Halligan said:
Finished my first week of the fire academy this week. So far, so good. I feel crippled. haha. It's been tough because I have not been able to get on the site much...I'm going through vtcoa withdrawls already. 11 weeks to go.
Hang tough brother,
You can do it,Best of luck:rock: :rock:

Halligan said:
Well, I just got the call this afternoon from a major fire department here in AZ, and took a job offer over the phone. I should be starting the fire academy in February...

Thus, it looks like I'll be able to hold on to the SRT-10. I'm THRILLED. It also looks like I'll be able to quit my current job in time to get to the AZ GTG!!!!!:rock::elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :rock:

It's been a really rocky last few weeks. I took the fire department test back this time last year, and never would have expected a phone call. Today I was actually finishing up a final paper for a cell bio course when I got the call. I was planning on attending medical school, and just got my first two rejections last week. So, a few doors closed, and one opened.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm going to be able to stick around for a while.

Good that you got on the FD, AZ has some stand up department's. I have a friendout there as well. He re-located from here (Largo FD) to Scottsdale.
He love's it.
Enjoy the academy, and if there is anything I can do for you during the probation...give me a PM, and I will give ya my contact info.
Stay Low.

fdrelated012.jpg

NBT said:
Good that you got on the FD, AZ has some stand up department's. I have a friendout there as well. He re-located from here (Largo FD) to Scottsdale.
He love's it.
Enjoy the academy, and if there is anything I can do for you during the probation...give me a PM, and I will give ya my contact info.
Stay Low.

fdrelated012.jpg

Thanks! I'll keep you updated on how things go!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!!!

Just came across this one.

Congrats and good luck. Hang in there you have picked a very honorable profession.

I'm sure Mikey will be burning down his house to meet you:D Just don't give him mouth to mouth and you will be ok:D

-jeff

LOL! thanks!!!

if we ran out of all the equipment in the world, and had to do mouth-to-mouth...as the probationary guy, I probably would have to :puke::puke::puke::puke: hah
jelms said:
Just came across this one.

Congrats and good luck. Hang in there you have picked a very honorable profession.

I'm sure Mikey will be burning down his house to meet you:D Just don't give him mouth to mouth and you will be ok:D

-jeff

Very nice what department? If you need any info about AZ let me know. I'm a native (thats hard to come by here :))

Back