Just ordered new oil lines....

TerryK67

Reaction score
Just ordered new oil lines fron Tony....I got the black ones and ill be installing this weekend along with the oil change.

When I get the lines in ill upload some pics if anyone is interested.....

Easy install, just make sure you pop the little circle clips off the old lines to remove. I didnt read the instructions, got very frustrated and said a lot of loud angry words trying to figure out how to remove the stock lines.

Ok...got the lines in today via priority US Mail. Ill be putting them on this weekend but thought I would load up a few pics of the lines before I install them.

In addition to the lines Im changing out the oil and filter as well...

First impressions...lighter and more flexible than I thought they would be. The connections and crimps seem to be flawless and the braiding is perfect. The adapters have o-rings attached and they seem to be fresh and not dried out. The instruction sheet could use a little updating as the pics are hard to see. However, this is a pretty straight forward job so that shouldn't be a problem.

Overall...very high quality stuff....worth the investment....Im taking them into work tomorrow just to have them sit on my desk for the day...:)

Attachments

• IMG_2107.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg
    816.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2109.jpg
    IMG_2109.jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    655.9 KB · Views: 134
:rock::rock::rock:

I have my oil lines sitting around too. Need to get them in, and the oil changed. look forward to your install pics.

Install Complete

Ok Install complete...here are the details and some pics....

1. Jack up truck and put jack stand in place. I did only passenger side.

2. At this point I crawled under the truck thinking Ill just remove the old lines and install the new ones...no problem...but there is not very much room. Pic 1 is taken from under the truck laying on my back showing the block side of the lines. Notice how I have already pulled back the plastic circlip covers...as I could have removed the lines but it would have been very difficult to get the block adaptors off. The oil cooler side is the same as you see in pic 2. Plastic clips are still installed over the circlips so you can see how they fit.

3. Gave up hope of this being a quick job, especially if I wanted to do it right and make sure no leaks....so I removed right front wheel with a 7/8 deep socket for the lugs.

4. Removed wheel sensor attached to wheel liner plastic. Pic shows the sensor...its about at the 1100 position. Used some needle-nose pliers to squeeze the white plastic connector through the hole.

5. Removed 8 wheel well retainer bolts with a 5/16th socket. One bolt on the lower left side is a bit longer than the others. When you first look at the liner it looks like there should be more of the exposed bolts holding it in, but the only bolts are 5/16....Just FYI there is one 5/16 on the left side that looks like it should be connected but it is not. Go around to the right side to compare and you will see what I mean. I think it might have been designed to fit, but the assembly like decided they didn't like it..:)

6. Now there is plenty of room...see pic. At this time I went ahead and cleaned up the caliper, put the micrometer on it, vacuumed out all the accumulated crap from the road, trees, etc...and basically just looked over the engine...beautiful....:)...and now have decided "Wow, I could put headers on this baby!!"....

7. At this point I decided to go ahead and remove the oil filter, making sure the gasket came off with it. Its messy...and I knew I would be dealing with lots of oil today especially with removing the lines....So I sacrificed a medium sized towel and covered up everything that might get oil on it. At the end of the day it didn't get everything, but it did get a majority of the oil.

8. Now it was time to pop off the circlips...see pic that shows the tool for this...mine came from sears but they are sold everywhere...normally for pulling o-rings but have lots of uses...do yourself a favor and buy them...

9. So with the plastic rings pulled back I could pull the circlips off...and the hoses just pull straight back. I did block side first so I could pull the hoses back over the frame rail and drain out as much oil as possible...see pic...and there is the sacrificial towel...Ill also upload a extra pic of the circlip connection.

10. Now with the hoses off on both sides its time to remove the stock block and oil cooler hose adapters with a 1.1/4 deep socket. The cooler adapters were TIGHT...so tight I was worried...and had to use a breaker bar to get them off. I didnt "jerk" it...just applied steady pressure and held it...then applied a little more and held it...and in about 3 mins of doing this they started to back off. On the block side the adapters were almost loose...very little effort was needed to get them out. Make sure the o-ring comes out with the adaptor.

11. I cleaned up the connection and installed the new adaptors with a 1 inch socket. See pics....also make sure the o-ring is installed and not on the threads.

12. At this point I cleaned up any oil that might have spilled anywhere during the install so that if there are any leaks after I get them in I wont be wondering if it was oil from the removal or an actual leak.

13. I now test fitted the lines...the straight connection comes off the cooler...and then tightened them up after I was happy with the placement. See pic.

14. I now drained the motor oil from the pan, installed new filter (see pic) and refilled.

15. Since I was down there I swapped out transfuild as well.

16. I then rechecked and made sure there was no oil left over from the change, trans oil change, and hose change. Again I don't want to mistake any of that for a leak.

17. Started truck and let it get hot...you can feel the hot oil moving through the lines...and checked for leaks....so far so good!!

18. I cleaned up the wheel well (see pic) with some spray cleaner and re-installed it....don't forget to reattach the sensor. Also, pay attention to how the liner is installed...if you are curious go look at the other side to remind you about that one odd bolt that looks like it should be used but isn't.

19. Install tire...lower truck...retighten lugs...and check oil level now that truck is on the ground and level.

And that was it. If I missed anything or misspelled anything I apologize. Hopefully this will help out someone doing this job the next time.

Attachments

• IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_2113.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2116.jpg
    IMG_2116.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2122.jpg
    IMG_2122.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2127.jpg
    IMG_2127.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2123.jpg
    IMG_2123.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2125.jpg
    IMG_2125.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2130.jpg
    IMG_2130.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 231
very well presented:rock::rock::rock:

Thanks!! I just wanted to make sure the next guy would have it easier...and save a little time. I have learned a lot from other folks on here so I figured it was pay back time...

another thing ya might want to keep an ear peeled for is a possibile whinin/hummin noise.

seein that your beast is an '04 might need the oil pump by-pass valve update

I haven't heard it...and was sitting by the engine for a while when checking for leaks. Could you send me the link to a good thread for it so i can read about it?

I haven't heard it...and was sitting by the engine for a while when checking for leaks.:dontknow::mad: Could you send me the link to a good thread for it so i can read about it?:mad::dontknow:

wish i could. had an in depth write up bout my "adventures" in chasin down & findin the cure for it.

but when Shaggy did his vendor cleanin, all that was lost:mad:

how do ya'll do that????lol

thats the repair one & there is another one bout when the cooler line bust on me.

Mine whined when 1st started up(only a few seconds cold, then would go away) then went away completely after I installed the white viper oil filter......

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back