Manual Tranny - Q on shifting problem

SRT-MIKE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would make it difficult to shift while the truck is at a dead stop?

Sometimes it is hard to get it into 1st gear, and putting it into reverse even worse. I've had to shut the truck off to shift it into reverse, then crank it again in gear.
Shifting into second gear followed by a shift into first, works once in a while but not always.

Shifts good while rolling.

Any ideas?

Thanks

SRT-MIKE said:
What would make it difficult to shift while the truck is at a dead stop?

Sometimes it is hard to get it into 1st gear, and putting it into reverse even worse. I've had to shut the truck off to shift it into reverse, then crank it again in gear.
Shifting into second gear followed by a shift into first, works once in a while but not always.

Shifts good while rolling.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like it's time to upgrade to the viper slave and master cylinder :dontknow: and possibly a clutch. How many miles are on it?

Truck has 33,000 miles.
The viper slave and master cylinder was installed at 10,000 miles and the clutch at 15,000. Seems to early to be changing stuff like that, but I imagine something in there could be defective... I'll have that checked, sounds a lot better than something inside the tranny going south.

Thanks!

Mike

I would change the flid to High temp (Clutch). mine does that every now and then when I am at a red light. check your clutch fluid. If its ok I take my shifter loose and sit in the garage and "re position it" go through all the gears with the base loose. just to make sure it is set in right.

Fluid looks ok... Can you give me some more info on resetting the gears? I did swap shifters a couple of times over the years, the tolerances on the shifter link seemed pretty tight and I didn't notice any kind of slop that could affect things... Let me know, if it is what I think you said it would be an easy fix...

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I don't know how many standard transmissions you have owned so please take this in the spirit it is presented. No standard transmission is easy to get into all gears (especially 1st or reverse) all the time. Gears are gears and while we would like to think that there is always perfect meshing that is just not the case.

Many of us need to engage 4th or 5th before going into reverse. And while first gear should engage pretty much all of the time due to the syncros...the way some of us abuse these transmissions many have an occasional problem getting into first. Anytime you experience a gate not accepting the shift when at a stop...engage another gear close to the one wanted and it will usually align the gears well enough to get past the gate.

Pressure plate is not releasing fully, faulty plate.

Replace the pressure plate and disk. I have seen this several times before.

FSTJACK said:
Pressure plate is not releasing fully, faulty plate.

Replace the pressure plate and disk. I have seen this several times before.

That would make sense, when reverse finally engages sometimes there is this ever so slight jump of the truck. I will look into that, thanks!

Prof said:
Mike, I don't know how many standard transmissions you have owned so please take this in the spirit it is presented. No standard transmission is easy to get into all gears (especially 1st or reverse) all the time. Gears are gears and while we would like to think that there is always perfect meshing that is just not the case.

Many of us need to engage 4th or 5th before going into reverse. And while first gear should engage pretty much all of the time due to the syncros...the way some of us abuse these transmissions many have an occasional problem getting into first. Anytime you experience a gate not accepting the shift when at a stop...engage another gear close to the one wanted and it will usually align the gears well enough to get past the gate.

Prof, to be honest I can only remember a very few, a CJ5 and a toploader in the 70's and a few rice burners in between. I know what you say about sometimes things not lining up and having to engage another gear first, but this is more severe and has progressed. I can work around it, but my wife who used to borrow the truck all the time will no longer drive it because of the problem. I think FSTJACK is on the money.

FstJack is an actual hands on mechanic...I am a theory only guy...he may be correct...and if it is a problem for your spouse...take action...would hate for her to start to dislike the truck!

I've heard "what's wrong with the truck?" too many times from her already, but it is more than that, It's an anoying problem when I drive it even if I get around it.

SRT-MIKE said:
That would make sense, when reverse finally engages sometimes there is this ever so slight jump of the truck. I will look into that, thanks!

This is the key information right there, now just time to kind the exact cause. For some reason the clutch disk is still turning. Could be the hydraulics or a problem with the clutch.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back