Mopar Kicker Upgrades Really Fit?

FastRam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 SRT-10 RC and purchased from Mopar Super Center Kicker speaker upgrades 77KICK11-AB and 77KICK32. 11 is the kit for the dash and mid-bass speakers and 32 is the kit for the rears. Today, I finally got a chance to replace the OEM Infinity speakers. I gathered up all the tools I'd need and printed out all the service manual sections to remove and replace the various interior components.

I started with the dash speakers -- I figured they would be the easiest. I removed the dash IP bezel/panel, no problem. It took a bit of gentle force but it came out OK. Removed the right front speaker, disconnected the wiring, removed the Kicker speaker from its packaging and as I was getting ready to plug in the wiring terminal, I realized the terminal plug and the connector body for the Kicker speaker were configured differently -- a lot differently. I thought, OK, there are adapters in the packaging that I didn't see. Nope, no adapters. Well, gee isn't this a mother f'r I thought to myself. So I called Mopar Super Center. I got the "right" parts so they stated, at least per the 2010 Mopar Performance Catalog. We talked a bit and couldn't conclude why the connector differences existed. So, Mopar Super Center agreed to take back the kits. Kudos to them for that! :rock:

I was wondering -- for those that have upgraded to the Kicker components and have a 2006 model year truck, how did you connect the factory wiring plugs to the upgraded Kicker speakers? Here are several comparison pictures of the OE Infinity and the Kicker speakers. Again, the connector bodies are night and day different.

OE Infinity on the left, Kicker on the right:

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

OE speaker wiring connector:

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

And to add insult to injury, after I reconnected the truck's battery, started it and let it idle for about 10 minutes to allow the Sat radio module to reset itself, I found this on my driveway after I moved the truck...

IMG_0766.jpg

Anybody want to guess what this 2 inch diameter stain may be? Subject of another thread coming...

That,s not good since I have the entire Kicker upgrade sitting in my garage and still unopened.

They plugged fine into my '06. However, I did hear that there was a midyear change in the connectors for the dash speakers. You can mak ethem work with small connectors.

the spot???

right side engine oil cooler lines

left side power steerin lines

SANTEEN said:
They plugged fine into my '06. However, I did hear that there was a midyear change in the connectors for the dash speakers. You can mak ethem work with small connectors.

but they only made the Viper Truck till mid '06:elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

SANTEEN said:
correct and not sure exactly what point it was, have had a few ask about the upgrade and sold a few and every dogone one wouldnt do a direct plug in:mad: :D
but santeen is the east coast exception of excellence:D

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
correct and not sure exactly what point it was, have had a few ask about the upgrade and sold a few and every dogone one wouldnt do a direct plug in:mad: :D
but santeen is the east coast exception of excellence:D
Hehehehehehehehehe:itsme: :itsme:

I called Kicker to get the part numbers for my 06. Hopefully they'll work. I'll let everyone know when I get around to it. Santeen, what is the production date of your truck? I think mine is Jan of 06.

I upgraded the red truck to 6 Boston Acoustics speakers and the dash speakers did not have anything but standard speaker push on connectors.
I made an adapter out of male and female push on connectors and short pieces of 18ga wire. Sorry I don't have photos.
I made sure to check the polarity on the old speaker to make sure the polarity/phasing was correct when I hooked up the new speaker....:D:D:D

What a different the new Boston Acoustic speakers made.
Before the change out I was pretty disappointed with the factory set up.
I added the factory Serius sat adapter so I wanted to keep the factory RB4 head unit. I know it is a POS.
But with the speaker upgrade the factory radio sounded good enough to keep me happy.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
oh yeah ,the kit dont fit 06 models, :D

different truck entirely;)

Chrysler needs to tell Mopar that ;) :dontknow:

FastRam said:
Oil Lines...:mad:

get a holt of Stinker for his life time lines.:rock: :rock: :rock:

no mo spots:rock: :rock: :rock: no mo worries:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

p/s probably won't be too far behind:toilet:

SANTEEN said:

Yep, I have a connector wiring repair kit, part number 68040489AA. It includes the right connector terminal body, wiring with standard and gold plated terminal pins, small compression splices and heat shrink tubing. The kit cost $35.00 (it too is going back to my dealer). I bought the connector kit to swap out the center channel speaker, not to modify the L/R dash speakers.

$70.00 to modify connectors to make the Mopar Kickers work, nah. And I figured, why should I modify the factory wiring to make any speaker work? Mopar markets this as "plug and play". If I wanted to rewire connectors, I would have purchased higher end components, knowing changes would be required.

FastRam, I had the EXACT same problem when I did my Kicker Upgrade.. Same parts and part numbers for my 06 QC. I called Kicker and they confirmed that the 77KICK11AB was the correct part number. What they did not know was that at some point in time Chrysler/Dodge changed the connector. Contack Kicker and talk to T. Rakey one of their Support Techs (email [email protected]) he already knows of the problem and you will be #2 on the complaint list (I am # 1). :(

What I did to correct the situation was to take a 6" piece of speaker wire and solder it to the existing solder joint where the wires actuall connect (not the plug in connector) and then did a Butt Splice into the existing speaker wires. Worked perfect and the sound is fantastic. :)

Kicker also "Recommended" the disconnection of the Center Dash Speaker to improve seperation, I tested it with and without and left my factory center connected but you may wish to disconnect it (personal preference on sound) :)

To borrow Ronnie's line: Hope This Helps...

Last edited:
SANTEEN said:

Oh, I forgot to mention to, I would buy the mid-year change deal. But, my truck was manufactured September, 2005 and figure this was an early build even though Dodge only built them until mid 2006.:dontknow:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back