need advise overheating

Thanks will do a flush and coolant change. What is the best way to do flush change. Also what is the mixture and what type of coolant.

You don't have JMB hard radiator pipes do you? Sometimes they can leak if not put on correctly.

badmood said:
I was driving to work today and the truck overheated. I let it cool down and checked everything and the radiator was pretty much empty. I just had the oil changed 2 months ago and the radiator coolant was fine. I keep an eye on my fluids regulary and it has been fine. It sat for the entire month of December in garage with no visible leaks. So I filled the radiator up with water to get it to the dealer. They just called and advised they can not get it to overheat. I replied that because I put water in it. There has to be an issue because all the coolant doesn't just vanish does it. Could it may be a head gasket. I only have 26k miles on it with no issues till now. What should I watch for from the stealership. Thanks

What could have happened is since it set for so long and with temp changes the pipes expand and contract. so when you started it up after it setting for a month it could have lost the fluid going down the road.

but do the normal checks, look everywhere including inside the cab for any wet spots.

badmood said:
Thanks will do a flush and coolant change. What is the best way to do flush change. Also what is the mixture and what type of coolant.

"The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection.
MoparT Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent ethylene glycol base coolant
with organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant
offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% Ethylene Glycol and 50% distilled water
to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F).

Pure Distilled Water - Distilled water can absorb more heat than a mixture of water and ethylene-glycol. This is for
purpose of heat transfer only. Water also freezes at a higher temperature and allows corrosion.
100 percent Ethylene-Glycol - The corrosion inhibiting additives in ethylene-glycol need the presence of distilled
water to dissolve. Without water, additives form deposits in system. These act as insulation causing temperature to
rise to as high as 149°C (300°F). This temperature is hot enough to melt plastic and soften solder. The increased
temperature can result in engine detonation. In addition, 100 percent ethylene-glycol freezes at -22°C (-8°F).
50/50 Ethylene-Glycol and Distilled Water - Is the recommended mixture, it provides protection against freezing to
-37°C (-34°F). The antifreeze concentration must always be a minimum of 44 percent, year-round in all climates. If
percentage is lower, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation. Maximum protection against freezing is provided
with a 68 percent antifreeze concentration, which prevents freezing down to -67.7°C (-90°F). A higher percentage
will freeze at a warmer temperature. Also, a higher percentage of antifreeze can cause the engine to overheat
because specific heat of antifreeze is lower than that of water." -FSM

Distilled water does not boil, so as pointed out by the Factory Service Manual (FSM), you get better heat transfer. I use Prestone antifreeze that meeting Chrysler specs. Depending on the climate you live in, you can mix it accordingly. I typically mix 60% water, and 40% antifreeze. I also don't drive the SRT's in the winter.

"DRAINING COOLING SYSTEM - ALL GAS ENGINES

WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE CYLINDER BLOCK
DRAIN PLUGS OR LOOSEN RADIATOR DRAINCOCK
WITH SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE.
SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN
OCCUR.
DO NOT WASTE reusable coolant. If solution is clean,
drain coolant into a clean container for reuse.
1. Attach one end of a hose to the draincock. Put the
other end into a clean container.
2. DO NOT REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP when
draining the coolant from the reservoir/overflow
tank. Open radiator draincock and when the tank is
empty, remove the radiator cap and continue draining
the cooling system.
3. If draining the entire engine, remove the cylinder
block drain plugs. Refer to or.
REFILLING COOLING SYSTEM - ALL GAS ENGINES

WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE CYLINDER BLOCK DRAIN PLUGS OR LOOSEN RADIATOR DRAINCOCK WITH
SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE. SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN OCCUR.
7 - 20 COOLING DR/DH
DO NOT WASTE reusable coolant. If solution is clean, drain coolant into a clean container for reuse.
Clean cooling system prior to refilling. (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
1. Install cylinder block drain plugs. Coat the threads with MoparT Thread Sealant with Teflon.
2. Close radiator petcock.
3. Fill cooling system with the antifreeze mixture (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/FLUID TYPES -
DESCRIPTION).
4. Fill coolant reserve/overflow tank to MAX mark on bottle.
5. Start and operate engine until thermostat opens (upper radiator hose warm to touch).
6. If necessary, add antifreeze mixture to the coolant reserve/overflow tank. This is done to maintain coolant level
between the MAX and MIN marks. The level in the reserve/overflow tank may drop below the MIN mark after
three or four warm-up and cool-down cycles." -FSM

-Muzzy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back