Next mod on stock block to gain HP?

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much debate lately between selling my truck and getting the new Ford ecoboost F150 , I've decided to keep the truck till the wheels fall off. Now that I'm keeping it I have been getting all the small things taken care of and now I want to go for more HP.
Current mods are Catback magnaflow, K&N CAI, and custom tuned by unleashed.

What is the next mods i can go for on the stock block to increase HP and still be a reliable daily driver?
I was thinking possibly a throttle body upgrade....
Catless mid pipes....
New cam....

Things I don't know too much about are the possible HP gains and the cost/ work involved with these mods?

I'm open to advice or guidance. I'm looking for more mid-range power.

The TB will be a straightforward bolt-on you can do in your driveway and add instant hp and throttle response that will benefit you in daily driving. From my understanding with the cam, you will need to get different lifter springs if you go with the cam from Roe, so install of cam and lifters along with tuning will be required for that, so a little more pricey, but the cam seems to be a popular addition for a "all motor" type setup and makes the exhaust sound nice. Other guys with more experience and who have these additions will chime in. Glad to see you're keeping your 10 and from what I can see in your signature, we have almost the exact same stereo setup lol

Thank You for that info. I will be keeping my eye out for a throttle body. I think I am going to stay away from a cam for now. Too much work and doesn't sound like that much of a return for the money. When the truck needs servicing I always want to sell but once I get it back and listen to the music coming from that engine I know I would kick myself for selling it. JL audio and Kenwood are awesome stereo equipment, Only companies I've used in all my 6 or 7 cars!

Thank You for that info. I will be keeping my eye out for a throttle body. I think I am going to stay away from a cam for now. Too much work and doesn't sound like that much of a return for the money. When the truck needs servicing I always want to sell but once I get it back and listen to the music coming from that engine I know I would kick myself for selling it. JL audio and Kenwood are awesome stereo equipment, Only companies I've used in all my 6 or 7 cars!

I feel you on the service thing, always carries a hefty price but like you said, when you get it back and all the heads at the dealership or wherever you get it serviced at turn and your truck rumbles, it's worth it.

NOS. will do the job.:)

I had nitrious but too afraid to blow this costly engine up! I have a lead foot and I'm sure I would have been rebuilding my engine by now.

NSDQ +1 on that. Not a week goes by where someone doesn't give me a thumbs up or ask me something about the truck. Most common (i think dumb question) is this... does it have a real viper engine?:argh::dontknow:

Delete the cats or go hi-flow cats , headers of any kind , just to get rid of the weight of the manifolds . Then rocker arms and stronger pushrods for valve train stability at high rpm's. Caltracs will flatten out the launch and illuminate wheelhop. Stinker's lowering kit and poly bushings . Remove all unnecessary weight . These are all must have , low cost , upgrades you will not regret!! Enjoy!!

Last edited:
we will have chris's up here soon, an maybe that can help a few decide, been gettting hammered with emails on the cam an so forth, but I would like real world results from the combo deal , but a cam is not that big of a deal, but the convertor seems to be other than an sct , giving the biggest gains in the qc's lately

If it was me I'd get Tony's TB, lot of folks on here seem to really like them. I've heard some bad things here about the BBK TB and Roe's TB is supposedly better suited to forced induction. Also before you even touch the engine itself I think you should upgrade the rest of your exhaust, LTs and catless mids should give you a nice gain and sound great.

Caltracs are also supposed to be a great mod too if you need more traction and they aren't expensive and Tony told me they don't have any negative affect on your ride quality or anything. I think it costs south of $400 through JTSVP.

Lastly you could look into the Volant CAI, I think they claim around 36-39HP gain or so and K&N claims less than 20. So that's about a 20HP gain for less than $500 and you could sell your K&N on here to make back at least half of your money. If you do the TB, intake and full exhaust you could possibly re tune and make a few extra ponies there as well.

Thanks. As far as conveter I suppose you are talking about transmission? I'm gonna go over to JTSVP and browse some things.

Thanks. As far as conveter I suppose you are talking about transmission? I'm gonna go over to JTSVP and browse some things.

Converter either means the cats (get rid of them asap) or torque converter, which you could upgrade as well, maybe a high stall. I'm not sure what the stock stall is on a 48RE but you could go up to say 2500 or so pretty easily for a street truck, also might want to look into a trans brake if you will be hitting the drag strip.

You'll find there's a ton of cool stuff on JTSVP.

If you want to run catless but are worried about inspection, cops, fines or whatever than check out these fake cats you can put on.

Catalytic Converter

yeah boss the trq convertor, ask santeen , he tried out one in his , and well everyone so far has loved it an dropped anywhere from 3 tenths to 1/2 second, talked to fletcher and from 60-100mph If I remember correctly he improved a full second in time, now he did have the underdrive pulley also tho

catless, and throttle body will be cheap mods to do, with gains.

Im thinking of getting new pulley, tb, magnaflow and maybe a trq converter.

Im thinking of getting new pulley, tb, magnaflow and maybe a trq converter.

you have a RC right ?, i agree on the pulley's - throttle body, and a larger / high flow exhaust system - with no cats, but i dont think you will need a trq converter :)

as far as mods ?

get a CAI, mopar or volant - pulley's - throttle body, and a larger / high flow exhaust system - with no cats - headers and a trq converter if you have an 04 change your gears to 4.56 instead of the 4.10's and a shift kit

you have a RC right ?, i agree on the pulley's - throttle body, and a larger / high flow exhaust system - with no cats, but i dont think you will need a trq converter :)

as far as mods ?

get a CAI, mopar or volant - pulley's - throttle body, and a larger / high flow exhaust system - with no cats - headers and a trq converter if you have an 04 change your gears to 4.56 instead of the 4.10's and a shift kit

Ye, atm i have CAI and SCT. Was me that mailed you yesterday about the TB, pulley and magnaflow :)

I would like to skip the cats but in Sweden you dont really get away with it... :\

Do our trucks have any issues using a smaller UDP in regards to if you are running multiple car audio amps and such? With previous cars I've owned I know that was always a problem.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back