Next mod on stock block to gain HP?

Do our trucks have any issues using a smaller UDP in regards to if you are running multiple car audio amps and such? With previous cars I've owned I know that was always a problem.
:dito:

Do our trucks have any issues using a smaller UDP in regards to if you are running multiple car audio amps and such? With previous cars I've owned I know that was always a problem.

Man my room mate is a stereo genius I'll talk to him about it. I would imagine it could be a problem since wouldn't a smaller UDP would cause the alternator to spin slower and not provide as much power to the electrical system? You might need to upgrade your alternator or at least your battery if you want to run a big sound system, though I was always under the impression that the stock system was pretty damn good as it is....

Should not be much of a problem, Inless you have amps thats are pulling mad power doing burps or something, they sell a 240amp alt tho if you want to upgrade.

Man my room mate is a stereo genius I'll talk to him about it. I would imagine it could be a problem since wouldn't a smaller UDP would cause the alternator to spin slower and not provide as much power to the electrical system? You might need to upgrade your alternator or at least your battery if you want to run a big sound system, though I was always under the impression that the stock system was pretty damn good as it is....

Yeah that would be my worry. I'm running an Optima yellow top battery, so I'm good on that end and I'm running 2 JL Audio amps, but they are combined under 1000 watts, so shouldn't be drawing too much power. The audio installer even advised me to not use a bass cap, so I might be alright if I used a UDP, but I was definitely curious if anyone on here is running a UDP along with an audio system.

Should not be much of a problem, Inless you have amps thats are pulling mad power doing burps or something, they sell a 240amp alt tho if you want to upgrade.

Nah my amps are combined less than 1000 watts. I'd def like to get the UDP and the throttle body at the same time, would be 2 great bolt ons, just hesitant for the time being about the UDP in regards to the audio system. I should probably upgrade to a higher amp alternator anyways. Only reason I mentioned the UDP with stereo is because the original poster has a multi amp stereo system

Thanks Tony, I was wondering if you were going to chime in, figured you'd know better than anyone lol.

LOL man trying buddy:D but yeah talking on "ours" I have noticed with oem radio and such it seems fine, volts and amps stay well in parameters and thats with everything on, but if it idles for a long time, say, sitting at a car wash and you talk iwth ya bud for an hour while your truck idles, then we noticed the volts drop a touch, but stillnothing to be concerned with, but if your pumping some volts listening to some jammin bumpin lawrence welk:D, then I would consider the alt upgrade, you "may" not have a prob, but eventually it would strain the alt boss

i agree the stock stereo is pretty damn good lol. I remember when i bought my lexus i bought some bad ass speakers and a week later i sold them and put the stock ones back in cause it seemed just as good and seemed like i wasted my money with expensive speakers

Just an FYI, you really not be concerned with how many "watts" the amp provides, rather how many amps it pulls at your average jamming volume. My amp can draw 130+ amps abs if you have a 190 amp alternator, that leaves little for charging battery, firing coils, running AC/heat blower, headlights/taillights/brake lights,etc. Depending on how many amps your amplifier pulls, you could need to run dual or multiple alternators, of course defeating UD pullies.
I know in my old s-10 with one L7 kicker solobaric and throwing 1200 watts and 130 ish amps, at idle at a light, headlights on, I could crank it up and kill the truck in seconds,lmao

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back