Not starting.......

Stone MD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I picked up a 2006 RC SRT10 and am very happy to be part of the 10's club.

I have been reading as much as I can trying to fix this starting or not starting problem without having to post.

I bought the truck 2 weeks ago and there has been times that the truck would not start, but left for a while it would lite. I pulled the codes and got, P0132, P0138, P0158, P0340, P1391 and P1685.

I have replaced the Cam and Crankshaft Sensors to no avail. I pulled the #1 plug and there is no spark. I really hope its not the coil packs.

I have purchased a SCT tuner from Tony and I am wait for it to arrive. Then I will put in the tune and hope.

The truck itself has the Mopar headers and CAI, no cats and the Magnaflow catback.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Check the plugs on you pcm, wondering if you have some corrosion....

Have you washed the engine bay since you bought it?

again, that could be the pcm, some have split along the seam and have let moisture in, causes weird stuff

I just tried disconnecting every possible sensor and unplugged evrything I could see. I checked for corossion but found none. I connected everything back up and the truck still didn't start. Turns over well.

The previous owner did wash the engine bay the same day I bought it.

When you say everything, did that include the three plugs on the pcm

You just have a weird combination of faults, to have them all happen at the same time is just odd. Thats why I'm thinking corrosion, water and something to do with the plugs or pcm

ya check the fuses???

P0132-O2 SENSOR 1/1 CIRCUIT VOLTAGE TOO HIGH - SRT10

P0138-O2 SENSOR 1/2 CIRCUIT VOLTAGE TOO HIGH - SRT10

P0158-O2 SENSOR 2/2 CIRCUIT VOLTAGE TOO HIGH - SRT10

P0340-NO CAM REFERENCE SIGNAL AT PCM - SRT10

P1391-INTERMITTENT LOSS OF CMP OR CKP - SRT10

P1685 - I can't find this one?

When you say everything, did that include the three plugs on the pcm

You just have a weird combination of faults, to have them all happen at the same time is just odd. Thats why I'm thinking corrosion, water and something to do with the plugs or pcm

I agree, this is why I was wondering if he was to clear them all, which ones return?

I pulled all three plugs off the PCM and saw all the pins nice and shiney.

I removed all the fuses and they were fine.

P1685 is invalid key (?).

I cleared all the codes and and the O2 sensor codes came back.

I also diconnected the battery for over an hour.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:
I checked my 2006 DTC Codes in the manual, P1685 is not listed

hmmmmm

Not saying your wrong, I was just courious so I looked

hmmmmmmmmm

If that is a SKIM error, are you using an OEM key and if you have more than one key, try the other key

(Disclaimer, I have no idea why that code is not in the RAM SRT-10 Manual, but I found it in a Jeep manual and it still doesn't answer why you had all them codes)

Last edited:
sounds like a computer issue. make sure you have a good ground strap connection to the engine and the frame. and that the computer is properly grounded. bolted to the firewall. did you boost the battery lately? any surge in power can have bad effects. a dealer may have better diagnostic tools but will need a good mechanic to use them! they are getting hard to find! good luck

P1685: Driver 5 Line 5

Now that's a big help! Does anyone know what it means?:dontknow:

Doh.......I just read the posts above. That code is in my notes Jeff, but I still don't know what it means!

Last edited:
I believe you initially had a Camshaft Position Sensor or Crankshaft Position sensor problem and still are currently! Crankshaft sensor is a no brainer, but did you install the Cam sensor requires a perfet installation at a specific depth! If not the sensor will be destroyed the first crank. It may intermitently fire like you describe, but not run correct. Basically it's just a magnet and the cam sprocket has holes(windows) that trigger the PCM when the holes pass the cam sensor magnet. I forget the depth but it's like 1 5/8" or something. I'd pull it to make sure it's not destroyed.:D

not that this is any help or anything but mine is a 06 and when i got it i called the ppl who tuned the supercharger and they told me the original owner had them put in a crankshaft sensor idk if he had same problem or what

When I replaced the cam shaft sensor, I read the thread on depths and was very careful puting it in. The depth is 1 17/32 from the cam to the front of the outside. The truck ran good for a day. I pulled the sensor and it looks fine. Is there a way to check to see if it's malfunctioning?

When I replaced the cam shaft sensor, I read the thread on depths and was very careful puting it in. The depth is 1 17/32 from the cam to the front of the outside. The truck ran good for a day. I pulled the sensor and it looks fine. Is there a way to check to see if it's malfunctioning?

That sound like you did it correctly then. You have to have the cam sprocket a a specific point as well when you get that measurement.:D Coulda been to far away, if it was not at the correct step in the sprocket. You have to literally feel with your finger. At the correct depth it should shave the end of the sensor off ( plastic) and that creates the gap needed to fire correctly. Camshaft Position and Crank Position, tell the PCM to fire coils and injectors at the correct time or at all!!:D

Well, I took some contact cleaner to the PCM and the truck started. So I went around the block and it backfired 3-4 times really rapidly and it almost stalled. I got back into the garage and the P0340 showed up again. I cleared all codes before I left. Now it won't start again. I also am smelling fuel at the tail pipe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back