Not starting.......

Well at least you know it is P0340 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit. Where are you located? Maybe someone near you could help out??

Ok, I got the truck running today and went over to Capital Chrysler here in Edmonton to but it on their diagnostic machine but they told me to make an appointment for Tuesday.:mad: So, I went on a run down the highway and when I returned to the city and came up to the first yield sign the truck stalled and would not start. A few minutes later it did start. I drove home and there it sits. For now.....

A special thanks to Oldcolt for all his insight and Slitherbeast for coming over and having a look. Of course the truck ran great for the whole time Slitherbeast was here until he was just about to leave. Then it wouldn't start. We checked all the ground points and it still has a P0340 code. When it runs it's great so I can not be sensors, probably the PCM, or at least that's what I'm going to try. If anyone has an extra PCM please let me know. Thx!!

Last edited:
A special thanks to Oldcolt for all his insight and Slitherbeast for coming over and having a look. Of course the truck ran great for the whole time Slitherbeast was here until he was just about to leave. Then it wouldn't start. We checked all the ground points and it still has a P0340 code. When it runs it's great so I can not be sensors, probably the PCM, or at least that's what I'm going to try. If anyone has an extra PCM please let me know. Thx!!

I have one for an 04 R/C,Don't think it will work for you man sorry.

There has to be some sort of diagnostic the dealer can run on the PCM to see if it's doing what it is supposed to. If you can't get one cheap to swap out its worth a shot so your aren't pissing money away on a guess, albeit a good one looking at what you are experiencing. Plus, I believe you will have to have the PCM flashed to your vehicle's VIN before it works anyway, so you will most likely be going to the dealer regardless. Hope you get it sorted out.

I have tried different PCM's in my truck. The truck will start with a non-matched PCM, run for about 10 seconds, then die.

Does anyone know if the PCM's are specific to different years?

Well, after simmering down and some reflexion and will take the truck to a stealership "when it starts" to have it diagnosed. I will let everyone know when I have some news. Thanks again guys, this is an awesome site.

Also, a PCM, for those who don't know is the computer or brains of the truck.

I have tried different PCM's in my truck. The truck will start with a non-matched PCM, run for about 10 seconds, then die.

Does anyone know if the PCM's are specific to different years?

Yes...

Also, the VIN is programmed in to the PCM, I believe it works with the SKIM as part of the antitheft (if I remember right)

Looks like no matter what, I have to get the pcm looked at. Even with a new one, it has to be flashed with the VIN number. I am glad that I got a good deal on the truck but I did inherit someone elses problem. Part of the game of getting to know the truck. Just smile and wave....

I have a spare mopar PCM for an 06 regular cab would need to be flashed to your vin and is set up to run with mopar long tube headers and cam I believe

Another update....I was going down the highway with the cruise on and the engine backfired 3-4 times and shut off. I reset the PCm by holding the positive and negative battery leads for more that 10 seconds and the truck started. It happened again and I did the same procedure and it started. PCM... I still have not recieved the SCT from Tony yet (USPS is slower that snail...) but when it gets here I hope that will fix any issues. The PCM was flashed with an update at the stealership, so maybe its a software malfunction.

Last edited:
Hopefull you get it straightened out,I know it sure can be frustrating figuring out bugs like thes,sounds like your getting close to the end of your troubles and Welcome to the club neighbour! :)

Another update. I received my SCT tuner from Tony today (thx again Tony). So far so good. I still have an appointment at the stealership on Friday for a diagnostic and reflashing of the PCM if required. I will keep you posted.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back