Oil pressure drops to almost 0 check gauges comes on

Alex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So while I'm driving my truck and it gets to operating temp, I run at about 60 psi but when I am braking and the rpms drop so does my oil pressure. Down to just above 0 psi. Any one had this problem before and if so how did you fix it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

is the drop in oil pressure accompanied by any engine noise? First thing I would do is verify pressure with a mechanical gauge. Could be a faulty gauge or sender, or an internal engine problem about to show up.

So while I'm driving my truck and it gets to operating temp, I run at about 60 psi but when I am braking and the rpms drop so does my oil pressure. Down to just above 0 psi. Any one had this problem before and if so how did you fix it?

Is it full of oil?

No noise but yes it is full on oil

braking strongly? is the oil old?? viscosity broke down to where its like water and sloshing to front of pan under strong braking?? i don't know if our trucks have a swinging pickup or not or where the pickup is in the pan but sounds like the oil is moving away from the pickup

the main reason it will usually drop as described is oil level, I know you say its full,

but since the problem with the gauge started have you pulled the dipstick, and no not being an ass, but have a dozen or so with the same problem, saying no pressure, first question did you check the oil, answer yes
we pull the dipstick and it be 4 quarts low.

if its ok, then most likely your sensor, possibly the pump, but most likely not

Okay I did recheck it and it's low, I looked for a leak and I found it. What is this line?

uploadfromtaptalk1452982114470.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1452982132149.jpg

Okay I did recheck it and it's low, I looked for a leak and I found it. What is this line?

Oil lines. Don't know many trucks that haven't had to replace em or at minimum remade with same fittings.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Check your power steering lines while you're at it. JTSVP has them as well.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

How much brah?

If it was just a low oil level you got lucky. Definitely keep an eye on the level from now on. The lines are definitely leaking but don't look bad enough to make the engine quarts low. Unless they have been ignored for a long time. Could be the engine is starting to burn some oil. My old K&N intake drank like a drunken sailor.

we have had numerous customers complain of loosing a couple quarts of oil per 3000 and there lines not look bad, replace the lines, no more loss of oil
I cannot explain it, just my experience.
but do take a complete look under the truck, check the rear of the engine, your rear main seal, oil lines , in front, and also the oil pan so forth, if its the oil lines it will blow down the passenger side of the bottom of engine along the oil pan, it will look like a rear main or oil pan leaking
let me know if I can help, [email protected] or Home Page
thanks

When I looked at my truck so much oil was running down (from the cooler lines) it looked like the end of the steering rack was leaking.

Just an FYI. Cavitating your oiling system is the beginning of your engines death. Our gear/rotor type pumps DO NOT like cavitation and are slow to recover from it.

I would seriously consider sending off a sample of your current oil to
https://oillab.com/oil-analysis-testing
Don't be surprised if you have high levels of bearing material.

Good luck and Cheers!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back