Oill & Drain Plug Question

RedRamRules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size is the bolt? I probably need to buy the right size wrench.

Also I am planning to buy the Fram PH16 filter, 7 quarts of Mobil 1 & 2 qts of Lucas Synthetic. Does that sound about right? Thanks.
Fram has a listing for a racing oil filter, but no one seems to carry it in stock. I will try to look into it. Moroso (sp?) also has filters, as well as K&N, but I have no input in terms of quality or dependability for these brands.

The oil drain bolt is a 13MM. I use Mobil 1 5W30 fully synthetic. For filters I usually just get whatever is available.

Juan,
I myself get the Mopar filters.I tried Fram, but they make a howling noise on start-up.I believe the Fram is missing a check valve inside.Just my.002.:)

I use mopar filters, or bosch filters. Mobil 1 full synthetic 5-30w from wally world in the 5qt jug x2 (23 bucks).

I dont think we have Wally World here in LA Patrick, I may have luck at Wal-mart.
Maybe I will skip the Fram and try something else :)

Juan stay with Mobil 1, the lucas additive is really not needed with the synthetic oil.

also stay with a mopar filter, or a mobil 1 filter or even the k and n is also good.

Oh and get a bag of rags at wally world, LOLOL your gonna make a mess!:D

The thing about the Lucas additive is that I use it on my other car (96 Acura TL) and notice it has less engine noise than before and runs smoother, so I figure I might as well do the same for the Ram. Would'nt use it unless the stuff works :D
I will try the mopar filter, just to be on the safe side :)

NAPA Gold is one of the best filters you will ever buy. I have used them in my equipment business for years. Do a search on them and you will only see excellent reviews. The are made by WIX - john

Juan you are very correct about the lucas!! I have used it for many years in my Catapillar engines and it does make a huge difference

Its thicker and actually bonds to all the moving parts upon startup, never thought of that though, it probably would make these things a tad quieter in the valvetrain.

Thanks Juan! I learned something today:D

Well I just finished changing my oil, heres a rundown:

Oil: $45 bucks for 10 qts Mobil 1 (truck & SUV) at Walmart(2x 5 qt jugs, thanks patrick)

Oil Filter: K&N Oil Filter #HP-2004 $12
Oil Additive: Lucas Oil (2x 1 qt) $30

So that makes my oil job $87 dollars, plus 30 mins of labor (I had to pierce my old oil filter to remove, was very tight).
The results? Smoother idle, much quieter. Runs very well. It was about 4000 miles since my last oil change, so my old oil was very black and runny. I am happy.
BTW my oil plug was a size 15mm. Maybe mines is different for some reason?

Thank you all for your input and comments. :D

RedRamRules said:

Oil: $45 bucks for 10 qts Mobil 1 (truck & SUV) at Walmart(2x 5 qt jugs, thanks patrick)

So that makes my oil job $87 dollars, plus 30 mins of labor (I had to pierce my old oil filter to remove, was very tight).
The results? Smoother idle, much quieter. Runs very well. It was about 4000 miles since my last oil change, so my old oil was very black and runny. I am happy.

Good deal :burnout: :rock:

RedRamRules said:

15MM Hmm... I just changed mine not to long ago and it was a 13MM. I have an 06 RC now why would they change that???:confused:

RedRamRules said:
What size is the bolt? I probably need to buy the right size wrench.

Also I am planning to buy the Fram PH16 filter, 7 quarts of Mobil 1 & 2 qts of Lucas Synthetic. Does that sound about right? Thanks.
Fram has a listing for a racing oil filter, but no one seems to carry it in stock. I will try to look into it. Moroso (sp?) also has filters, as well as K&N, but I have no input in terms of quality or dependability for these brands.

I use Fram TG-16....it about the same price as the stock filter I get from the dealr. I use Mobil1/synthetic 5w-30...8-10 qts.

Last edited:
I bought the Mobil 1 5W-30 at Wal-Mart today for $21.64 (5 qt) each.
Went to the dealer for th Mopar oil filter...$10.00 for two (qty discount).

I keep the receipts so if the motor ever goes, that's one less place for Dodge to look at something being my fault. They probably have Mobil 1 5W-30 on the oil filler cap for a reason....:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back