Oill & Drain Plug Question

slow91 said:
I bought the Mobil 1 5W-30 at Wal-Mart today for $21.64 (5 qt) each.
Went to the dealer for th Mopar oil filter...$10.00 for two (qty discount).

I keep the receipts so if the motor ever goes, that's one less place for Dodge to look at something being my fault. They probably have Mobil 1 5W-30 on the oil filler cap for a reason....:dontknow:
I just went today and bought two mopar filters from the local dealership. I paid full list of over $8 ea.:mad: DC is so cheap they don't even bother to box their filters anymore.:dontknow:

Personally, I won't use Fram oil filters anymore. I only use Mobile One filters. When I worked at the parts house, we took all the major brands of filters and cut them all open. And after what I saw inside the Fram, I won't use them again. Bosch wasn't bad, K&N was pretty good, Mobile One was great, Wix very good, STP not bad, and can't remember the rest. The best would be to get the filter from Boomer. Pricey, but good. Or a System One cartidge filter. Had one of those on the race car along with a System One Fuel Filter. Best I've found.

Stretch

I agree with Stretch. If you actually cut the filters open, you will most likely quit using Fram. I had used Frams on everything for years until we cut a bunch of them open.

I now use Wix on everything. I believe Wix also makes the Napa gold and others (can't remember which ones). The Motorcraft filters also looked good. I don't think we looked at a Mopar (not sure who makes it).

However, unless you are just anal like me, if you are changing your oil every 2 or 3 thousand any filter will do!

The owners manual specified Mobil 1, 0W-40 as the preferred oil, so that's what I picked up at the local Advance Auto ($6 per quart) (Wal-mart didn't have it). I also picked up a Purolator filter.

So, is the 10W-30 oil preferred or is it just easier to locate :) ?

-TDay.

The wide range is to cover any location the truck can be located (hot and cold). If you are in a warm climate, you can use 5W-30 as a default weight. Thats what I used, no problems.

TDay said:
The owners manual specified Mobil 1, 0W-40 as the preferred oil, so that's what I picked up at the local Advance Auto ($6 per quart) (Wal-mart didn't have it). I also picked up a Purolator filter.

So, is the 10W-30 oil preferred or is it just easier to locate :) ?

-TDay.

The 04's listed (I think) 5w-40 for their oil where the 05's list 0W-40. I think you get better protection during the winter with the 0w-40.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back