PICS!!!! Toasted Spider Gears Part 2

LitemUp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part 2 PICS!!!! Toasted Spider Gears

Pulled the carrier on Thrusday night had it cleaned at the GSE shop at my job, but didn't really have time to take any pics until today. Flushed the rearend and axle housings really good today. Preparing for the reinstall of the of the carrier and took some more pics of damage.

This one is a close up of the side spiders.

CloseupofSidespidergear.jpg

This one is of the the damaged clutch pack retaining clips, and the middle one is the new one. Can you till were the damage is?

Clutchretainingclips.jpg

This is a close up of the clutch pack retaining clips next to a new one. Now you could tell were the damage occured.

Clutchretainingnexttobrokenone.jpg

Now after inspecting the damage my father-in-law and I believe that it was the retaining lips that caused the failure. We think that the of the launch broke the retaining clip causing the clutch pack to spin in the carrier (becasue there was visual scaring inside the carrier on the side were the ring is located). This caused undo stress on the top and bottom spider and sheared the cogs. That's just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Tomorrow we start the install at 0900 and hopefully baring any complication I'll be up and running before sunset:D . I'll keep you guys posted.

Once again I need to thank Ken, Tony, and Mickey for all of their tech support over the last week. You guys are the best. :rock:

Last edited:
The launch had nothing to do with the failure...Its the fact the clutches and hardware were over run while peg legging it and it finally broke off and jammed the spider gears...

I sure wish a Detroit Locker fit in our stock diffs.

Bill.

With less than an hour of labor left to have my truck up and running. We ran into a road block. Can't get those f@#$ing top and bottom spiders installed intto the carrier. We tried everything. I guess there has to be a special tool get those f@#$ers in there. We called it quits for today and will go to a driveline shop tomorrow and have them install them there.
Then I'll take it home and through them into the truck

I don't know if mine were as bad or worse on my 05QC. Mopar Connection would know for sure. All I know is that after at least 300 passes down the 1320 without line lock took a toll. The noise coming from the housing area was really loud and horrible sounding but I still had both wheels spinning.

the odd thing is mine didn't make any noise... maybe a slight whine, but if it wouldn't have been for the intermittent posi issue, i'm not sure i would have known...

spider gears

the clutch packs are discs and Belleville washers. You need a tool . I built one with some 1/2" plate and 1/2" threaded rod. squeeze the clutch packs then install the carrier over an axle so you can set the spiders up and spin the carrier to run them into the carrier,holding back the axle. I don't describe to good!!:):p the top disk of the tool is threaded . the bottom just has a hole started for a guide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 88
Is this happening only with Reg Cabs?
In other words manual transmissions.

Good question.

If there is driveline slack before launch and spider gears get (literally) HIT with torque, they generally don't like it.

Of course a manual-transmissioned (R.C.) vehicle is more likely to do that than one with an automatic.

Last edited:
mine is an RC. the backlash was at .015" . specs call for .006"-.008". I had the 4.56 gears installed locally and they did a horrible job. The drag radials and Nitrous launch was no match for the slop in the gears! My truck went home on a towtruck from the track!:( I set it up myself with some cryoed gears from Tony with .003" backlash, 0 side to side and have had No problems launching since!!

mine is an RC. the backlash was at .015" . specs call for .006"-.008". I had the 4.56 gears installed locally and they did a horrible job. The drag radials and Nitrous launch was no match for the slop in the gears! My truck went home on a towtruck from the track!:( I set it up myself with some cryoed gears from Tony with .003" backlash, 0 side to side and have had No problems launching since!!

Setup is key. The shock from Drag Radials on a well-prepped track like Devon's/Edmonton will definitely load those spider gears. I'm guessing that mass-produced diffs setup from Dodge with the most slack, will likely be the first victims.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back