Plastic grill inserts that are on each side of radiator..can they stay or go?

CarolinaSRT10 said:
I think they are there for purely aerodynamic reasons.

As they probably do not "duct" air to the radiator...they probably keep a lot of the air from going around it.

When they are removed, the air that enters there gets extremely "dirty"...and has to change direction many times to escape. This causes drag, and a bit more instability.

With our trucks being a aerodynamic brick anyway...sorta' makes you wonder what's the use...but hell...we probably get another .009 miles per gallon because of them.

Lee

John (Supercar), and Roy were close... The panels were designed to both channel air to the radiator/ac/trans cooler/oil cooler and direct air to the fender tube leading to the air box on the passenger side. Lee is also correct, along with the rest of you that said they are "cosmetic" as well.

I took mine off after I installed JMB's CAI and didn't see any difference in temp. I ran my truck for over two years (including two very HOT FL summers) and had no problems. I actually still have my panels if anyone wants them. :dontknow: :eek:

spdrcrj said:
I agree with supercar. My opinion but if you take them out, air enters the grill area and hits the radiator and the area around it. Since the air encounters resistance from the radiator it may flow "around" the sides of the radiator, not through it. The plastic pieces keep air directing through the radiator, not around it. This was one reason my Procharged Z06 was overheating at Road Atlanta, the radiator and intercooler were not "encapsulated" and air just went around instead of through (the encapsulation pieces had to be removed to facilitate the intercooler piping and intercooler).

Not like it matters but I have an A-hole too so I also have an opinion. :D

:rock:

I took mine off and really did not make much difference at all.Started getting the stink from catch can in the cab.Put the covers back on and smell is gone!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............................Keep them in!!

Black1 said:
John (Supercar), and Roy were close... The panels were designed to both channel air to the radiator/ac/trans cooler/oil cooler and direct air to the fender tube leading to the air box on the passenger side. Lee is also correct, along with the rest of you that said they are "cosmetic" as well.

I took mine off after I installed JMB's CAI and didn't see any difference in temp. I ran my truck for over two years (including two very HOT FL summers) and had no problems. I actually still have my panels if anyone wants them. :dontknow: :eek:
I will take the panels off your hands Jake.:rock:

well laugh as you may, but the lightning guys have proven that they pick up 2 mph when they block off the grill areas on the lightnings in the 1/4 mile. I didn't believe it either untill I used it myself on my lightning when I had it. it was as simple as rednecking a peice of cardboard to fit the front and ziptie it to the grill. bam, 2 more mph. with the front wide open the front acts as another parachute for the air. and does cause drag. 2 mph worth for the average lightning.

mr. anderson said:
well laugh as you may, but the lightning guys have proven that they pick up 2 mph when they block off the grill areas on the lightnings in the 1/4 mile. I didn't believe it either untill I used it myself on my lightning when I had it. it was as simple as rednecking a peice of cardboard to fit the front and ziptie it to the grill. bam, 2 more mph. with the front wide open the front acts as another parachute for the air. and does cause drag. 2 mph worth for the average lightning.
Yeah I am going to laugh.Sorry.:D :p ;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back