Power Shifting the RC

i thought that was whats called crashboxing and a power shift was little clutch used just to take some pressure off the gears during the shift?? dont ask me, i am just a young one :p :p

Voodoo said:
i thought that was whats called crashboxing and a power shift was little clutch used just to take some pressure off the gears during the shift?? dont ask me, i am just a young one :p :p

You are correct..............

Well guys I have just read some of the biggest bunch of S**T regarding power shifting that I have ever seen.

About the only thing that is true is the fact that you do not want to hit the rev limiter while spraying NOS.
That is why "window" switches are the norm on any vehicle with EFI, NOS and a fuel cut engine rev limiting feature.
A "window" switch sets the RPM levels that the NOS will be sprayed at.
The low side allows it to turn on.
The high limit shuts the NOS system off at a predetermined RPM before the rev limiter on the engine hits.

I do not expect my stock T56 in the red truck to go the distance, so I will be putting in better syncro drum assemblys with hardened billet blocker bars, and bronze pads on the shift forks, and better syncro material.

Gentlemen and ladies this is a hotrod and they will not last forever if driven hard on the track. I drive mine like a little old lady on the street but I want it to perform the way I want it to on the track. As manufactured from the factory they are a compromise, and as such, do and acceptable job of going to the store and burning rubber. If I seriously want something that is a production vehicle and to go fast, I have to modify it extensivley. Thats OK with me as I like fast hotrods.

I cannot take any pics of the rear end,as the truck is at Richards, RPM Muffler in Vista getting the intercooler mounted and the turbo exhaust crafted. It is a Dana 60 with Mark Williams 40 spline axles, spool, brakes, ect. The 4 link makes it look exotic, and it really is. I think it is the only one with true 4 link, with wishbone drag race suspension, cage and tubbing that exists at this point.

dozens of 10 second passes don't lie. and I have a turbo which lags during shifts. If you have to power shift to gain that extra .050 in the 1/4 mile then you sir need to learn to drive better.

you guys should be working on your launches, not power shifting. You guys with your shitty 2.4 second 60' should be a 1.9 or 2.0 with stock rubber and that will save you a good second at the end of the track.

~mike~

FSTJACK said:
You can't be serious................

AWDisuzu said:
dozens of 10 second passes don't lie. and I have a turbo which lags during shifts. If you have to power shift to gain that extra .050 in the 1/4 mile then you sir need to learn to drive better.

you guys should be working on your launches, not power shifting. You guys with your shitty 2.4 second 60' should be a 1.9 or 2.0 with stock rubber and that will save you a good second at the end of the track.

~mike~

Oh Boy a real driver.......Would you show me how to drive ?? ? ?

Get your turbo and plumbing sized and tuned right and you won't have the problems with turbo fall off between shifts.

What does our 60' have to do with this thread. Mine are 1.9s on stock rubber and clutch. I also have a NHRA 4B short wheel base SC, SG, license. What do you have ? ? ?

AWDisuzu said:

~mike~

Mike the reason I asked the question in the first place was an article in the drag racing bible...National Dragster Weekly...are you a member of NHRA, if so you get the publication...it seems that it is a given in most standard transmission vehicles at NHRA events...I think that outweighs "dozens of 10 second passes", but I may be wrong...I often am...

Have never tried it...just too much respect for the equipment...but am very interested in those that do and what their experience is...

Roy

FSTJACK said:
I think it is the only one with true 4 link, with wishbone drag race suspension, cage and tubbing that exists at this point.

I can't wait to see the truck:rock: Oh and see you too again buddy!

There are special transmissions that are built for speed shifting like that. You are more than welcome to try and power shift but in the end you will have no syncros left, and possibly broken dog gears.

I drag race a street driven car with a stock tranny that still after 5 years of drag racing still shifts smoothly. These parts break, they are expensive and abusing them in that way is unnecessary IMO, even for running very quick times.

they guys getting 1.9" 60' times are doing a great job. You probably won't improve your times by speed shifting. I've never seen an srt-10 in a heads up competition anyway.

Prof said:
Mike the reason I asked the question in the first place was an article in the drag racing bible...National Dragster Weekly...are you a member of NHRA, if so you get the publication...it seems that it is a given in most standard transmission vehicles at NHRA events...I think that outweighs "dozens of 10 second passes", but I may be wrong...I often am...

Have never tried it...just too much respect for the equipment...but am very interested in those that do and what their experience is...

Roy

hey I'm not challenging your driving or your knowledge, I'm just stating my opinion about speed shifting. I've tried it and it didn't make a difference in my times. I shift lighting fast, but I use the clutch and I let off the gas - even though it's only for a millisecond.

I certainly don't have your licenses.

Also, the 60' came into the conversation because IMO most people on the forum that race can drastically improve their times by improving their 60" time, and NOT by trying to power shift. I'm just trying to help and avoid reading about someone's grenaded tranny or rear end.

sorry if I offended you it was definitely not meant to sound that way! it's really difficult to communicate by typing sometimes without coming off sounding like a jerk.

~Mike~

FSTJACK said:
Oh Boy a real driver.......Would you show me how to drive ?? ? ?

Get your turbo and plumbing sized and tuned right and you won't have the problems with turbo fall off between shifts.

What does our 60' have to do with this thread. Mine are 1.9s on stock rubber and clutch. I also have a NHRA 4B short wheel base SC, SG, license. What do you have ? ? ?

Roy,

Power shifting is the best way to make a stick shift vehicle ET well.
It is however, very hard on parts.
I have 2 more (extra) T56s that I am going to "build" to go in the red truck.
I will bag up the stock tranny, and engine out of the red truck. So that if I decide to put it back to stock I can without molesting the engine or trans.
I am going to build another motor and trans with a spare trans in the red truck.
I want a really quick street truck and a scarry fast track truck.
So it will take 2 trucks to acomplish this. Scarry fast to me is probably not that fast to others but it will be good enough for me.

All in life comes with a price and I am the only one who can decide. Am I am willing to pay the price.

it's best to have spare trannies! you got the right plan jack.

Here's a pic of a rustang 5.0 tranny after a few weeks of power shifting.

powershift.jpg

AWDisuzu said:

powershift.jpg
i dont see anything wrong with it, i think it belongs is a rustang :D :D :D :D

AWDisuzu said:
hey I'm not challenging your driving or your knowledge, I'm just stating my opinion about speed shifting. I've tried it and it didn't make a difference in my times. I shift lighting fast, but I use the clutch and I let off the gas - even though it's only for a millisecond.

I certainly don't have your licenses.

Also, the 60' came into the conversation because IMO most people on the forum that race can drastically improve their times by improving their 60" time, and NOT by trying to power shift. I'm just trying to help and avoid reading about someone's grenaded tranny or rear end.

sorry if I offended you it was definitely not meant to sound that way! it's really difficult to communicate by typing sometimes without coming off sounding like a jerk.

~Mike~

i have to admit that Mike is a great driver on the track and his passes dont lie. he also knows his poop, as do alot of other members of this forum. i know for a fact that he did not mean to sound like a jerk as he stated, he is simply looking out for the best interest of the members.

Mike, The way I do it, there is the potential to break parts. That is why I am putting a Stinker rear end (axles, brakes and a locker) in the red truck. The trans will be taken apart and set up to be power shifted. It will net better Et's by power shifting.

Your car is very quick and I am sure it will break if you power shift it. I would not power shift one of those either if it were mine. They are an entirly different animal than the trucks. The car if something that was not made with drag racing in mind. It takes a great deal of work to get the performance level you have achieved and I respect that very much.

Power shifting does net better Ets in vehicles like the truck.

The silver truck has a TH400 in it, with a Neal Chance bolt together promod converter. And all I will have to do is push a button to make it shift. Precision performance products Air shifter.

If I were going for 300-400 more Hp and another 3/4-1 second lower ET, I would have to go to a Lenco 4 or 5 speed tranny. But that would take a hydroformed ballistic clutch can which does not exist yet for our application.
I have sent a stock bellhousing to one of the Mfgrs to see if I can have one made for the next upgrade. The can would have to be stretched to allow room for a multi disk clutch set up.

There are many different ways to get down the track............

you could put in an auto tranny for a lot less $$$ ;-) bands are pretty cheap to replace

AWDisuzu said:

powershift.jpg

Mike, What is broken in the box in the picture is the main drive,(input shaft gears) and the cluster gear. Usually the most damage is done on the launch. That model in the picture is is not the strongest gearbox made either. The box in the picture is also locked in 2 gears at once and the shift forks and rails are badly bent. Those boxes will sometimes overrun the shift rails and lock in 2 gears at once which can cause the damage in the picture.

I broke a lot of main drives and cluster gears in Muncie 4 speeds in the 60's. They were not a very strong gear box either. I broke most of them on the launch. ( I had clutch problems and when I finally got a clutch that did not slip everything back of it started failing.) But that was the 60's and we did not have as good a gear box as we have today, nor the metalergy or the ability to cryo our hardware.

I like to power shift and will pay the price for my fun.

There is nothing better than a stick shift vehicle making a good pass. I love to see it done by a great driver. Herb, 1fast400's dad was good as was Jim Waldo and a few others.
I have seen Trainman at Bakersfield and it was a thing of beauty to see him make a pass, powershifting.

Some really interesting views on a fascinating question from Roy.....

From my experience in my years on this forum I've come to a definate opinion with respect to true gearheads and race fanatics.....:

The happiest and most rabid gearheads are the ones who build shit for the expressed purpose of blowing it up... They gotta see exactly how much it can handle in order to make it go BOOM...... In this case it's the tranny....

Other guys build bigass motors and add NOS....... KABOOM again......

This creates an everlasting obsession.....it never ends......

These are nothing more than grown-up kids that enjoy building shit thats really loud and really fast............but the real joy (besides the occasional quality E/T) is blowing shit up and rebuilding it over and over again...better than it was before....

I love you guys......................

Django

my rc sounds like a auto going down the track is what i have been told by others.....and i do shift it as if to send the shifter thru the dash.....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back