Power Shifting the RC

Prof said:
... due to my current traction problems when I let the clutch out too quickly at WOT...!

Prof, I cannot imagine how you get traction at all?:dontknow: Since I added the pcm and catless mids, my truck just blows the tires off in first and second. Of course my gears are contributing to this but your HP is at least 100 more than mine.......... So as far as powershifting:confused: forget about it for me!!! But I aint complaining........my truck is awesome!!!:rock:

patrick

Patrick, you have a wonderful approach to your truck, very healthy...I'm trying to get there. As the first install of a street Roe Top Mount Twin Screw, I feel obligated to post one strong time slip to justify all the work that Sean Roe put into my truck. 1Fast400 put down some great times in his QC (a ten second run) but his was a true build, not just a street modification. I think the truck with some bite will run high 11's...that is my goal then I retire, to the street. I have been treated very well by the people who have worked on my truck, I guess this is an attempt at payback.

And as I told Stingray, he needs to get in shape...I may get booted out of the drivers seat for a younger model.

Thanks for all of the super input, this has been very interesting.

Last edited:
SVTFreak said:
my rc sounds like a auto going down the track is what i have been told by others.....and i do shift it as if to send the shifter thru the dash.....
That was the best piece of advice that anyone gave me, just push the shifter through the dash.

How can you say you don't gain ET when you powershift? I get .3-.4 better when I power shift....

99% of racers are going to push the limit of what they and there machine can do. I'm not going to take a 10sec car and run 11's, I am going to push it and try to run 9's. I am not racing this truck in any class, my goal is to go as fast as I can in a truck...

BigRed460 said:
... I am not racing this truck in any class, my goal is to go as fast as I can in a truck...

Good thing! It is very difficult to fit our trucks with any significant mods into an NHRA class other than ET Brackets... where (what class) do the 10 cyl. Cummings run in?

i didn't say you have to shift slow, I just feel that (in my experience) I can shift faster and not do any damage if I let off the gas during my split second shift. instead of the engine gaining 100 rpm and making the syncro work harder and delaying the dog gear engagement, I let off so the rpm stays the same. it's so fast it's hard to even tell though. I just know that my trans will not click into gear under full throttle without grinding and it's also likely I'll miss a shift.

my QC shifts the fastest though.

Good reading.

Personaly I have never power shifted, I don't even know if I could get myself to do it :confused:

I just don't see how it can be good on the tranny at all, seems you should have to atleast let off the gas to get the RPM's down to match the next gear, maybe that is just too much from drivin big truck....LOL

If some one want to borrow me their truck I will try and power shift it ;)

But for now I stab the clutch quick and burp the trottle just slighly, based on my times I don't think I am missing to much, can't imagine that beating my tranny to death is going to gain me much.

mopar_mudder said:
based on my times I don't think I am missing to much, can't imagine that beating my tranny to death is going to gain me much.

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute....please don't think I'm flaming you.;)

I see you have a ECM, CAI, headers and exhaust.

Blaine (svtfreak) ran an almost identical time to yours (12.7 @108) with zero mods.........and like me, he powershifts his a$$ off.....:rock:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/srt10/0/52E30BF6-117F-4A3A-AD85-DBDD31CED304.htm

Last edited:
FSTJACK said:
I broke a lot of main drives and cluster gears in Muncie 4 speeds in the 60's. They were not a very strong gear box either. I broke most of them on the launch.
M-22 "Rock Crusher" transmissions? (one of my personal favorites)

FSTJACK said:
I have seen Trainman at Bakersfield and it was a thing of beauty to see him make a pass, powershifting.
As requested:
http://web.mac.com/landlt/iWeb/Site/Racing 2006.html
Enjoy!

prof: i cant wait to see your truck:rock: maybe ill get some seat time also:dontknow: ive never done a 1/4 mile stripe but i have ice draged a sled! and you make your money off the line/60 ft. yeah i know sled/srt 10 whole diiff. ballgame but in theory you make your money off the line! I cant stress that enough

AWDisuzu said:
you could put in an auto tranny for a lot less $$$ ;-) bands are pretty cheap to replace

A TH400 is an automatic transmission............

GM Turbo Hydramatic 3 speed. The strongest 3 speed automatic made.
As modified it has Vasco shafts and straight cut planataries with a pro transbrake, on a truck case. = $3550.00

And to make them live with big HP is very expensive.

The adapter to mate it to the engine, by itself was $1900.00

The torque converter is a Chance and was $2800.00

Precision Performance Products reverse pattern air shifter $900.00

Misc stuff and junk to make it work, cooler, lines, mounts, shields ect = $850.00

Total $10000.00

The two and one half year experiance of trying to get this POS built = PRICELESS

ULTIMATE VASCO 400
The Ultimate Vasco 400 is a brutally tough transmission for high horsepower applications. This transmission has the performance, quality and reliability that Mike's Transmission is famous for! This transmission features:
Billet input and intermediate shaft, 2.48 ratio straight cut gear planetary or your choice of helical ratios 2.10, 2.20, 2.48, thick bellhousing case trimmed for clearance, roller bearings, high pressure probrake valvebody, seven clutches in the forward and direct pack , modified direct drum with heavy duty 36 element sprag, billet steel forward hub, reinforced four pack intermediate clutch, deep aluminum pan with rear pickup screen.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Yep, my thoughts exactly...and I can honestly say, I've never missed third gear...:D ;) :p :burnout:

Too bad it doesn't get up enough speed to need to get into 3rd.:eek: .....:eek: .....:eek:

Having an automatic can sometimes be = PRICELESS.....:idea: .....:idea: .....:idea:

slow91 said:
Let me play devil's advocate for a minute....please don't think I'm flaming you.;)

I see you have a ECM, CAI, headers and exhaust.

Blaine (svtfreak) ran an almost identical time to yours (12.7 @108) with zero mods.........and like me, he powershifts his a$$ off.....:rock:

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/srt10/0/52E30BF6-117F-4A3A-AD85-DBDD31CED304.htm

No problem. Just to clarify I didn't actually have the ECM yet when I made the run, was just headers and exhaust. Also that wasn't by best 60' of the day. It was a 1.97 60' and I had run a couple of 1.93's the same day (slower ET though)

So it is really had to compare the exact gain that the power shift gives you unless you use the exact same drive and tuck on the same day.

Also I remeber back when SVT got his truck used and the was some big questions over if it was stock or not, it dynoed pretty high for a stock truck if I remember, some thought it may have a B&G ecm or something in it. Don't know if any one every figured it out or not.

If you know what you are doing and just take it to the track once in a while, I do not believe you will shorten the life of the trans noticeably. I definitely believe it is not the best way to shift your trans if you are interested in longevity. If you are building a truck to run at the drag strip every weekend, then I would ditch the manual for an auto. The auto will be faster and stronger if built correctly. Plus it would be more consistent.

I spent my fair share of time at the drag strip. I used to points race an 89' Mustang that was a 10 second car bracket car. I tried running a modified T5, but I eventually broke it. I don't think it was as much related to power shifting as running 600HP through a T5. Once I switched to a built C4, my times were more consistent and I did not break it nearly as often (only when using trans brake).

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
If you know what you are doing and just take it to the track once in a while, I do not believe you will shorten the life of the trans noticeably. I definitely believe it is not the best way to shift your trans if you are interested in longevity. If you are building a truck to run at the drag strip every weekend, then I would ditch the manual for an auto. The auto will be faster and stronger if built correctly. Plus it would be more consistent.

I spent my fair share of time at the drag strip. I used to points race an 89' Mustang that was a 10 second car bracket car. I tried running a modified T5, but I eventually broke it. I don't think it was as much related to power shifting as running 600HP through a T5. Once I switched to a built C4, my times were more consistent and I did not break it nearly as often (only when using trans brake).

-Muzzy

Amen brother, it is the fun factor..........:D

Leaving on a transbrake is like being hit in the A$$ with a cannon........:D :D :D

FSTJACK said:
Leaving on a transbrake is like being hit in the A$$ with a cannon........:D :D :D

I remember the first time I launched with the brake. I thought I was going to have to change my drawers :laugh:. I had an 8" TCI converter with a 4500 RPM stall. That is the easiest way to find the weak spots in your drive train.:D

-Muzzy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back